Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a JD347 square baler package with a Hoelsher 10-bale accumulator and grabber. I've been looking at all the major brand accumulator-grabber systems for a few years now and the price on this package is not far off the cost for JUST an accumulator at one of the "major" brands!

So, having a second, backup baler thrown in on the deal is a real enticing situation! Unless, the baler ends up being a money pit! So, are there any particular issues with this model JD baler? Some inherent design flaw that JD addessed with later models?

Appreciate the feedback.

AKfish

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
I answered your question on the other forum. IMHO a 347 is about the same a 348 as JD hasn't made many updates to their sq balers since the introduction of the 346.

AKFish when hunting migratory birds such as ducks in AK does one need to have plug in shotgun to be legal? The reason I asked is I was watching a TV reality show the other day and the hunter shot 5 times at ducks without reloading.
Thanks,Jim

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I answered your question on the other forum. IMHO a 347 is about the same a 348 as JD hasn't made many updates to their sq balers since the introduction of the 346.

AKFish when hunting migratory birds such as ducks in AK does one need to have plug in shotgun to be legal? The reason I asked is I was watching a TV reality show the other day and the hunter shot 5 times at ducks without reloading.
Thanks,Jim
Thanks for any info on the baler. It looks to be a pretty straight machine. Shedded, 1 new knotter assembly a year or so ago. No auto luber but hyd tension. Missing a couple pickup teeth. Bale chamber looks clean and no rust. New restrictor plates and needle brake assembly. Owner is a serious hay producer but going totally to big rounds. I think he put money into his equipment when required.

Yup, the majority of waterfowl hunters are required to "plug" their shotguns and use steel shot. However, we have a subsistence use priority for all hunting and fishing in Alaska. Very liberal seasons and bag limits as well as methods for harvest.

So, if you qualify as a subsistence user you don't have to plug your shotgun and you can generally harvest quite a few more ducks, geese and swans than other hunters.

AKfish

·
Registered
28 Posts
There are a few differences in some of the parts, like the needle lilft shaft is smaller dia. and I believe that the tucker finger assembly is all metal to metal pivot and the 348 is a linkage with pivot ball design. The older style tucker fingers just need more adjustment. Also, the plungerhead pitman is a bushing on the 7 and a bearing on the 8. Nothing to worry about tho. All the knotter parts are the same.
Good luck

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the additional info, snaggletooth. And welcome to GTT. If you know balers; you'll be a very appreciated contributor.:thumbup1gif:

AKfish

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
Thanks Tx Jim for the correction. Must have been the 6 series I'm thinking of. That bearing is much better as long as it gets grease on a regular baler.
You're welcome. I'm not really attempting to be forum police just trying to keep stated information correct.

346 has a brg also. 336/327/337/338 has a bushing

PS: I was employed by a JD dealer from '66-'87 and since have been using JD balers doing custom hay baling.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
No problem, If I'd a done my research you wouldn't have to correct me.
So why did you quit JD? I was a service manager for 8 years and am still employed at the dealership as CSR. Been in the bidness going on 28 years.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
My boss whom I had been employed by for over 21 yrs called me into his office and stated he decided he was paying me too much and was going to cut my salary by 25%. I told him if he didn't think I carried my fair share to just cut my salary by 100%. That's the best thing that ever happened to me as I've been custom farming/baling ever since. This same dealership sold out with in 12 months after I left.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My boss whom I had been employed by for over 21 yrs called me into his office and stated he decided he was paying me too much and was going to cut my salary by 25%. I told him if he didn't think I carried my fair share to just cut my salary by 100%. That's the best thing that ever happened to me as I've been custom farming/baling ever since. This same dealership sold out with in 12 months after I left.
Yeah... Can't always know what's goin' on behind the scenes. Strong undertow with a flat surface..

AKfish

·
Registered
28 Posts
All I can say is that since all these buyouts and multistore acquisitions, most all of the fun is gone.
Since 2010 this store has changed owners 3 times and names 4 times.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All I can say is that since all these buyouts and multistore acquisitions, most all of the fun is gone.
Ouch! I'd have to guess that quite a bit of "history, corporate knowledge" has since gone out the door as well!

Might not be alot of help there to even know where the coffee pot is... :unknown:

AKfish

·
Registered
1,811 Posts

Dealership where I was employed was purchased by a dealer that already owned 3 locations. As of today they still just own 4 locations.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I think my group is up to 23 locations now and talking about a few more. The perception vs. the reality are about nite and day difference. But I have customers that I am loyal to and vice versa. Deere is a good Company, but the farther you get from the hands on technicians the more baloney you get served.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
IMHO JD has swayed from the company that they once were. Just look at all the product reliability problems that their equipment is experiencing. I find it hard to believe their engineers haven't found a solution for the failure rate of the cold start sensor that's been going on since the early 90's.

·
Registered
10,042 Posts
IMHO JD has swayed from the company that they once were. Just look at all the product reliability problems that their equipment is experiencing. I find it hard to believe their engineers haven't found a solution for the failure rate of the cold start sensor that's been going on since the early 90's.
I've notice their train of thought have change not long after the last direct descendant of John Deere himself, left the company's board of Director.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Got the JD347 baler package. It's got one new knotter assembly on it. Looks different than the old knotter. Hope it adjusts the same as the older one...

AKfish

·
Registered
740 Posts
You gotta remember that at the end of the day, John Deere is in business to make money. Same as Ford, GM, Whirlpool, Bayliner, GE, Microsoft, VolksWagen, Boeing, etc, etc. That being said, customer service is what keeps people coming back after their warrantee has expired... and if you want to continue selling your product, you need to keep up on your customer service!

Good luck with your new toy!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts