Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying my first tractor!! JD 3520
But need help deciding on implements. Just don't want to over spend, but make good decisions. Would rather buy quality over cost. Hate to buy the same tool twice!
Mowers: Quick connect belly mower or pull behind grooming mower?! The belly would save me storage space?! I have two acres to mow that has quite a few trees and flower beds. I have some pasture, but have a brush hog. The belly mower is double the price of the 1072E grooming mower the dealer has suggested?! But the convenience/ storage of the belly mower may make up the difference for me, if the cut is as good?! could buy a smaller trailer too.
Loader: had decided on the 300cx, but with 2200lbs of lift, is it overkill. Would the 300x be sufficient?!
Box Blade: Dealer suggested a BB2072 good price too, would this be sufficient? 30hp PTO?! Is there something better?!
Auger?! have no idea here?!
JD 3520 comes standard with rear landscape controls!

Uses: Small farm, food plots, garden, mowing, fencing, and landscaping.
thanks in advance to those who reply!
JwG

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Congrats on the new tractor and welcome to GTT.

I had a 3720 but I did not cut lawn with it. I used a 5' rotary cutter for the field.

While it would cost more, I believe you would be happier with the belly mower as it is much easier to cut around trees and landscaping with.

I purchased my Post hole digger, or auger from Tractor supply on sale. I have dug well over 8,000 holes with it at this point. I use mine for planting trees.

Spend the extra money on the 300cx. Those numbers you are listing are the lifting capacity at the bucket pins. The farther out you get, the less you can lift. Plus you have to subtract the weight of the bucket or forks. You will be happy you chose to go with the 300cx.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I second the belly mower. That's what I have on my 3320 and really enjoy it. Hooking up is a snap too with the drive over deck. As Brian mentioned, cutting around obstacles is a lot easier with a belly mower.

The only real positive I've heard about a 3PH finish mower vs a belly mower is you can back it under low hanging branches and not get scratched up.

As far as the loader bucket goes, I know you mentioned quality. I would get the CX. It's not much more and super duty. You'll be happier with it.

Ever consider a grapple? They're VERY handy.

·
Registered
507 Posts
JwG, I was asking myself those same questions a few months ago. The dealer swayed my decision and I'm in agreement with the belly mower. He said IF you have something to mow around sooner or later it's going to bite you and it can get pricey and the belly mower is right there under you to watch all the time verses turning around to watch a trail mower. I think that would get old real quick.
I'm still undecided on which FEL. and watching this thread closely. Gees, I never considered the weight of the bucket coming off those lift numbers. Good info here, Thanks.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I add to the crowd that says go with the 300CX. If you don't you will wonder why you didn't after the fact. I wish I had twice the lifting power at times!

Can't say much about the mowers but I think those who know have already given you great advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice ya'll. Ok, so what is the advantage of the 300cx over the 300x. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I was thinking if I'm limited in the weight that I can lift, then why do I need a "heavy duty" loader?!
On the mower side, those who have the belly mower, how's the cut?! Is it as nice as the grooming mowers?!
Thanks again, JwG

·
Registered
456 Posts
Get the 300CX loader. As someone stated earlier the lift rating is deceiving. That rating you mentioned is not measured at your bucket where it counts. The lift rating reduces the farther you get away from the tractor so at at the bucket or your forks it is less. You will never be sorry by having more lift capacity.

As far as mowers, I too have been struggling with what to get. I have a 3320 and I like the idea of that quick attach belly mower. I do think the 3 point finish mower has a few advantages. For starters the cost can easily be half that of a belly mower. The 3 point allows you to get closer to objects because it's farther away from the tractor. You can back it under tress or fence lines.

As far as other implements, I can't stress how much I love my pallet forks. I use them to lift and move everything I can. My back feels so much better these days! They work great if you work with firewood too. As far as box blades, something close to 5 1/2' feet is a good choice. I would not go bigger than 6' because it's hard for the tractor to work the box blade when they get to big.

·
Registered
152 Posts
For the cost of the mid-mount mower deck, lift kit with EH SCV, and mid-PTO option, you could buy a zero turn mower. With lots of trees and flower beds to mow around that is something to think about if you can find room to store one.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may be right!!

Yeah, now you got me thinking, why buy the mowers?! I can get the eztrak z445 for about the same and not worry about rutting the yard, and still have the 3520 for the "real work"! lol
If I need a finish mower, I could always rent one?! I think I can anyway?????? Push comes to shove, could always use the eztrak!
JwG

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Thanks for the advice ya'll. Ok, so what is the advantage of the 300cx over the 300x. Maybe I'm reading it wrong. I was thinking if I'm limited in the weight that I can lift, then why do I need a "heavy duty" loader?!
Thanks again, JwG
Here are the comparison specs on the two FEL's for the 3x20 series. Also just as a note the two FEL's are not much different in their actual weight something close to 30 lbs with the 300CX being the heavier loader.

Attachments

·
Registered
714 Posts
I've never once wished my 300cx was weaker. Between the box blade and the Artillian forks I can't think of a better tool. I have suitcase JD weights hung on the back of the box blade for added ballast to compensate for the heavy weight the cx will handle.

Reactions: PaDave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
cx is the way to go,

Finally got some info that I could really use, I see the CX is more adaptable for other implements, also the hydraulic pistons are bigger which means more power! So got that decided?!
NOW, whole new bag a chips!! What about a backhoe? I've done my home work here and I know it would be the BH485, but that's a big chunk a money! I can think of a whole bunch of stuff I could do with it, but in the long run??? worth it???
Sure appreciate the good advice so far ya'll! :munch:
JwG

·
Registered
152 Posts
If you only need a backhoe a few times a year (or for one large project), most people recommend renting one. Or you can rent a mini-excavator. The 485 is quite a capable backhoe for a CUT, but it doesn't have a quick attach bucket so that is something to consider if you have different types of digging requirements.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Finally got some info that I could really use, I see the CX is more adaptable for other implements, also the hydraulic pistons are bigger which means more power! So got that decided?!
NOW, whole new bag a chips!! What about a backhoe? I've done my home work here and I know it would be the BH485, but that's a big chunk a money! I can think of a whole bunch of stuff I could do with it, but in the long run??? worth it???
Sure appreciate the good advice so far ya'll! :munch:
JwG
I've got the older 8B with my 990. I love having a BH. I can do a lot with it and have already done many many things. I have dug up plants with one scoop and moved them. I have dug up I don't know how many rocks. I have leveled out a hill side with it in order to put up a shed. I have dug out an area for a garden etc...... I am very thankful to have one. I have put a thumb on it and that has made it great for moving rocks and logs. I have a ripper for it and that has come in handy. My vote is if you see needs and you have the money then I would get it. Of course as many have said it is a whole lot easier for us to spend your money than it is for you to spend it.:laugh:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I am still not positive, but I believe my choices will be a 300cx loader with a 4 in 1, and a box blade?! Keep it simple for now! But I'm SOOOOO, tempted by the backhoe. It is such a big chunk of money, and I can rent a trac/excavator when needed. After our drought here in Texas I have had to cut down about 20 trees, with more to go, I got stumps that make my yard look like a dried up East Texas Bass lake!! lol
Much appreciated advice,
JwG

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have the 72" autoconnect belly mower on my 3720. I cut about 6 acres of lawn every week during the summer months. I have a couple hundred trees to trim around. The 3720 with the belly mower is surprising agile for its size and mass. I ended up trading in my Exmark zero turn on additional implements for the 3720. I couldn't justify having both and the 3720 is what I ended cutting with all the time.

There is no question in my mind on getting the 300CX over the 300X. I would also recommend the ballast box. I purchased the ballast box with extension, filled it with concrete, and have no regrets. I also got a set of Artillian forks. I lift pallets that are at and sometimes slightly exceed the lifting specs of the 300CX. No issues with the ballet box attached.

My next purchase is definitely the backhoe. Since I have the 3720 cab, the largest I can put on the machine is a 375 backhoe. I really like the 475 model, but it will only fit the open stations in the 32XX series.

·
Registered
871 Posts
If you have specific jobs to do, then the capacity of the loader and or 3pt can make a differnce. And those requirements will dictate a lot of what size tractor is needed to run them.

I think some people over worry loaders and 3pt hitches. Most units are more than capable for the size of the tractors people have that compliment all the reasons they have for that particular choice.

Don't sweat the petty stuff...... Just pet the sweaty stuff..........

Enjoy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.