Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a used 3520 with the 72", non drive over, belly mower. The clearance on the deck has been terrible and creates tons of issues when using the loader, so I checked out the online manual for the deck. I quickly realized the manual said. draft arms should be installed on the front hole, and mine were in the middle. I moved the draft arms to the front hole (towards front tires), adjusted the rear lift links so the rear of deck goes as high as possible, and adjusted the front pivot assembly by removing and screwing the thread tighter. The deck now raises to the front, right up-stop bumper and the left spacer is still has approximately 2" to spare. The deck still doesn't raise very high and I'm not too satisfied. I have thought about building some kind of ramps that would sit on the ground (over the deck) where I could fairly easily remove deck then back over the ramps. Any ideas or recommendations on this would be helpful. Also, now my front tires hit the deck when turning sharply. Should this be happening?

Thanks in advance,
Rick

·
Administrator
21,040 Posts
:wgtt:

First, I never advocate using the FEL with the MMM attached, its to easy to damage a 3k dollar mower! Second, the front tire should not touch the deck under any circumstances, again you can damage the deck or shred a tire. I suspect its never been setup properly from the beginning, and you should go through all the install procedures from scratch.

There are a few users on the site with similar setups that should be able to help better.

Reactions: rickyddriskill

·
Registered
382 Posts
When I had a non-autoconnect 72" deck, I would simply jack my front axle up a bit after I got the deck disconnected. If you try to get it out of there without raising the front wheels a little, it can be a bear. When I was mowing with the loader on or just with the loader arms on, I would raise the front end with the loader and roll the deck from beneath the tractor. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
382 Posts
also it sounds like you are saying that the deck is not level at the highest point you can raise it? I thought mine was, but I do not remember if therre was a difference in the postion of the stops, but there could be. I also had my local dealer's service dept. checkout the set-up the deck after I initially mounted it.

OBTW, I have the larger Turf Specials, making it much tougher to get out from beneath the tractor. The rear tires really get in the way, so I needed to move the deck around to position it so it would roll out.

Hmmm, I guess I could have also dropped the anti-scalping wheels a little on one side to assist, but using the loader or car ramps on one side was so easy.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Well after a few runs with the 72 Autoconnect deck, I gotta say it is a bit too low to handle all the mowing that I need it for. I gotta figure a way of getting it to go up higher, as this deck cuts the grass too fine at the current mower height - turns it powder.

Anyone got an hints?

·
Registered
382 Posts
I purchased a used 3520 with the 72", non drive over, belly mower. The clearance on the deck has been terrible and creates tons of issues when using the loader, so I checked out the online manual for the deck. I quickly realized the manual said. draft arms should be installed on the front hole, and mine were in the middle. I moved the draft arms to the front hole (towards front tires), adjusted the rear lift links so the rear of deck goes as high as possible, and adjusted the front pivot assembly by removing and screwing the thread tighter. The deck now raises to the front, right up-stop bumper and the left spacer is still has approximately 2" to spare. The deck still doesn't raise very high and I'm not too satisfied. I have thought about building some kind of ramps that would sit on the ground (over the deck) where I could fairly easily remove deck then back over the ramps. Any ideas or recommendations on this would be helpful. Also, now my front tires hit the deck when turning sharply. Should this be happening?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Rick, do you have your tires set to narrow on the front or wide? If they are set to wide, set them to narrow and that should take care of the issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Well after a few runs with the 72 Autoconnect deck, I gotta say it is a bit too low to handle all the mowing that I need it for. I gotta figure a way of getting it to go up higher, as this deck cuts the grass too fine at the current mower height - turns it powder.

Anyone got an hints?
Taller tires? I know the cut height ranges from 1 1/2"-5" depending on tire height. With my R3s and full transport position I can manage 4". Trouble is, directions say to cut at 1" less than transport position(I cut at 3 1/2" with no trouble.)

How tall are your R3 specials?

Only other way I see is notching out the lift arms :thumbsdown:

·
Registered
382 Posts
I am gonna take a look and see what can be done down there. Hopefully there is something that can be done with the adjustments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts