Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
At the end of last year's baling season, I noticed a large degree of wear on the main drive chain. It seems as if it is rubbing against a round beam and has caused a sizable amount of damage to the beam. Since I have inherited this equipment, I am wondering if the chain has been rerouted or is this a problem with this model baler?

Registered
I can't help you with round balers, but someone who is familiar should see your post. Like you, I know the chain shouldn't be wearing on the frame. I think there are several round baler owners on the forum.

Registered
Drive chains & sprockets are a wear item on farm equip. Wear of the chain on rd baler is determined by type soil baler is operated in plus amount of hyd tension applied to bale along frequency & type of chain lubrication. Excessive amount of sprocket wear can also accelerated chain wear. I bale mostly in sandy soil and I don't like to oil chain because of the grit accumulation but I prefer motorcycle chain lubricant.

Registered
Check to see if the sprocket had been taken off and reinstalled on backwards.... just guessing. other wise if it is just a couple sprockets and idler, maybe you can shim it out?? Something is either moving or not spaced correctly. As far as oiling chains, I used chainsaw bar and chain oil on my round baler sprockets, it sticks real good and doesn't drip off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts