Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Very nicely done Matt. :thumbup1gif: Have you actually used it yet?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes I have Randy. My power rake has hydraulic angle.

I don't have the rear couplings for the 3rd SCV (extra $). I used the power beyond coupling and hose and adapted my power rake to fit. It was a dumb move, but I didn't know about the rear couplings to begin with and I was in a hurry to get the rake going. You know... Play time!

I will more than likely switch to a set of rear couplings in the future. I don't care for the loop hose that comes with the PB kit. I don't understand why JD didn't make the 3rd SCV a kit unto itself.

Matt

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Matt, thanks so much for this thread, but I am still VERY confused.:gaah::confused::think:

1) In the picture from jdparts below, all the hoses seem to go to the valve-it does not show how the valve gets fluid from the tractor. Can you please describe and/or post pictures or a drawing of where the hoses in your pictures terminate on the tractor?

2)
I don't have the rear couplings for the 3rd SCV (extra $). I used the power beyond coupling and hose and adapted my power rake to fit. It was a dumb move, but I didn't know about the rear couplings to begin with and I was in a hurry to get the rake going. You know... Play time!
How can you do that? Doesn't the "loop" on the PB kit need to be installed to keep the flow going?

3)
I don't understand why JD didn't make the 3rd SCV a kit unto itself.
How is the 3rd kit tied to the PB kit?

I can help you re-plumb everything so it is live all the time, and you can still have couplers for the PB if you need it for backhoe or logsplitter. All these issues/questions is why guys like Ron are just doing it themselves without parts from JD.

4) Is the cylinder on your PR a SA (single acting) one? I only see one hose plugged in...

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, lets see if I can do this.

The two long hoses shown in the JD 3rd SCV parts drawing (item 6), connect to the top and bottom ports of the SCV as shown and also connect to two ports on the tractor auxiliary block. That provides the flow loop. The PB kit provides the fittings to connect the hoses to the auxiliary block and a plug to redirect the flow through the SCV.

The two short lengths of tubing in the 3rd SCV drawing (items 7 & 8) connect to the side ports of the SCV and the quick disconnect and bulkhead adapter on the back of the tractor. The loop hose connects to the bottom fitting (bulkhead adapter) and is not installed in the attached photo. The PB kit provides the bracket, quick disconnect, bulkhead adapter, and loop hose.

The JD parts drawing for the 3rd SCV is misleading as it shows the side ports connecting back to the SCV via the top and bottom ports on the valve. That makes it look like a closed loop. How does that work? I hope the above helps describe how the SCV is plumbed.

My PR has a double acting cylinder. In the photo I don't have the loop hose connected to the bottom fitting. What I want to do is put a quick disconnect on the bottom fitting instead of the loop hose. It would make a cleaner installation in my opinion. I'm a little anal sometimes, wife thinks I'm a lot most of the time.:laugh: JD offers two quick disconnects and an adapter fitting so I could have two QD's on the back of the tractor. I believe they may be different style than the QD that comes with the PB kit. I also believe the adapter fitting goes between the bulkhead adapter and the other QD.

To sorta sum things up. The 3rd SCV kit requires parts from the PB kit. What I have left over from the PB kit is two hoses and a 45 deg fitting. No extra parts left from the 3rd SCV kit. To have two rear QD's requires another QD and an adapter to replace the existing loop hose.

Matt

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
OK Matt-thanks for your patience as it's getting clearer.

So, in essence you can not have the PB kit AND the 3rd SCV installed and functional at the same time since they both connect to the block on the tractor?

Please know that I have assisted possibly hundreds of guys add remote hydraulics to their machines over the years-I am not being thick headed or trying to give you a hard time over this, but so far it has no made much sense to me how JD set this up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So, in essence you can not have the PB kit AND the 3rd SCV installed and functional at the same time since they both connect to the block on the tractor?

Please know that I have assisted possibly hundreds of guys add remote hydraulics to their machines over the years-I am not being thick headed or trying to give you a hard time over this, but so far it has no made much sense to me how JD set this up.
That is correct!

I hope it is clearer now. It doesn't make sense to me either, why JD made me purchase both kits just to get the 3rd SCV functional. Now knowing how it goes together, I could have just purchased the PB parts needed. I don't like the bulkhead fitting in the PB kit. I think it is proprietary as to the different joints on both ends, ORFS on the loop hose side and I still don't know what it is on the tractor side. It looks sort of like an inverted JIC. I had originally said it was NPSM, but don't really know. It looks like the non ORB end on the 45 deg fitting. Any ideas as to what type it is?

Matt

Attachments

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Perfect Matt, thanks for hanging in there with me:empathy:

I do not know what type of fitting that is, but I have one in the basement from my kit...I will check on it when I have a moment and can remember to do so:laugh:

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
By God I think I Found It

Matt, in the other thread you wrote:
The 45 degree fitting shows the type of connection to the hoses. All I was able to find was the NPSM style connection. If it is not the NPSM style I hope you can identify it for me.
Well, NPSM is just a NPT fitting with a swivel connection, so that's not what it is...BUT thanks to the other Matt (mjncad) who posted the links to the Parker catalogs I finally figured it out after about an hour of research. It appears to me to be a 60* BSP Cone fitting per the section I attached below. Very strange why they would use this type fitting rather than the JIC's or ORB's they use everywhere else.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt, in the other thread you wrote:

Well, NPSM is just a NPT fitting with a swivel connection, so that's not what it is...BUT thanks to the other Matt (mjncad) who posted the links to the Parker catalogs I finally figured it out after about an hour of research. It appears to me to be a 60* BSP Cone fitting per the section I attached below. Very strange why they would use this type fitting rather than the JIC's or ORB's they use everywhere else.
Kenny, I have downloaded that Parker catalog and also saw the K4 BSP fitting. I rejected this particular style of fitting because there is no K4 to ORB adapter. I suppose someone else may make one. The Parker catalog makes the statement in its introduction that "BSP cone adapters are similar in function to NPSM (07 Adapters) but with BSPP threads".

News Flash!!!! I found these adapters: http://www.ph-fitting.com/90--BSP--MALE--60--SEAT-METRIC--MALE--O-RING-1BH9-OG.html and http://www.ph-fitting.com/90-BSP--MALE--60-SEAT-SAE--O-RING--BOSS-1BO9-OG.html

I believe you have solved the puzzle. You da man!:drinks:

Why do they make it so difficult?

Matt

·
Registered
1 Posts
2520 rear hydraulics

I recently purchased a 2520 and simply want to raise and lower a tower behind mower, do I need the power beyond kit or can i simply add a scv to the exisitng hydraulics?

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
I recently purchased a 2520 and simply want to raise and lower a tower behind mower, do I need the power beyond kit or can i simply add a scv to the exisitng hydraulics?
You should be able to just add an SCV to raise and lower something.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts

Matt
Thanks Matt:yahoo:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great thread

I just purchased a new 2520 and found this thread. I'm not of the mind or skill set to do my own set up. So I had the dealer do everything. Basically I wanted to have two QD outlets and an SCV to control a dump trailer. What they sold me (and installed) was a PB kit and 3rd SCV kit. They left the two QD outlets from the 3rd SCV "open loop", ie no hose connected between them when not in use. I have not yet used them with my dump trailer either.
So here is my question...the 3rd SCV gets extremely hot! In fact it has sort of scorched my yellow seat, turning the closest part of it brown from the heat. After an hour or two of run-time there is no way I can touch the 3rd SCV valve (not the handle, but the valve itself.) I talked with my dealer and he claims there does not need to be a hose looped between the two female QD's on the 3rd SCV valve when not in use. But in this thread, it seems implied that it must be there on the SCV, just like on the PB outlets, when the 3rd SCV is not being used.

Can you guys answer this for me?
Thanks in advance.

·
Administrator
21,063 Posts
Welcome to DT!

I just purchased a new 2520 and found this thread. I'm not of the mind or skill set to do my own set up. So I had the dealer do everything. Basically I wanted to have two QD outlets and an SCV to control a dump trailer. What they sold me (and installed) was a PB kit and 3rd SCV kit. They left the two QD outlets from the 3rd SCV "open loop", ie no hose connected between them when not in use. I have not yet used them with my dump trailer either.
So here is my question...the 3rd SCV gets extremely hot! In fact it has sort of scorched my yellow seat, turning the closest part of it brown from the heat. After an hour or two of run-time there is no way I can touch the 3rd SCV valve (not the handle, but the valve itself.) I talked with my dealer and he claims there does not need to be a hose looped between the two female QD's on the 3rd SCV valve when not in use. But in this thread, it seems implied that it must be there on the SCV, just like on the PB outlets, when the 3rd SCV is not being used.

Can you guys answer this for me?
Thanks in advance.
The valve should never get that hot. About 100* above ambient temperature is considered normal for hydraulic fluid, so the valve should be no more than that. It sounds like the valve is not hooked up properly, or the handle is not centering and the fluid is heating up due to the restriction.

On the valve, there are IN and OUT ports, and what is called "work ports", these would connect to a cylinder to do "work", these do not need to be connected together since there is no flow to them when the valve is in neutral. Now the PB (power beyond) circuit always has flow when the tractor is running, and if its blocked then the fluid can overheat or worse damage the pump.

Please post some detail pictures of how they have it plumbed if you can...something is NOT correct.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply, KennyD. The tractor is out at my cabin, so I'll get some photos this weekend. I also mis-stated the tractor...it is a 2320, not a 2530. But I don't think that changes the issue in the message. I'll get some pics back here on Monday.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Adapting from the BSP Thread 60 cone Fittings in JD2520 PBY kit

Kenny, I have downloaded that Parker catalog and also saw the K4 BSP fitting. I rejected this particular style of fitting because there is no K4 to ORB adapter. I suppose someone else may make one. The Parker catalog makes the statement in its introduction that "BSP cone adapters are similar in function to NPSM (07 Adapters) but with BSPP threads".

News Flash!!!! I found these adapters: http://www.ph-fitting.com/90--BSP--MALE--60--SEAT-METRIC--MALE--O-RING-1BH9-OG.html and http://www.ph-fitting.com/90-BSP--MALE--60-SEAT-SAE--O-RING--BOSS-1BO9-OG.html

Matt
Hi Matt,
Did you ever actually purchase an adapter from the wierd BSP Thread 60 cone Fittings to something more normal like ORB, JIC, or NPT? I have a 2520 and the PBY kit and planning additional values. At the moment I am planning to install the PBY kit and then intercept it at the kit hose connections to put my values in series. But I need to adapt to the strange fittings JD is using at the hose connectors in the kit. Any suggestions on part numbers, ordering etc? (my valve word is SAE/ORB + NPT). My other option is to trash the kit except for the plug and do it all, but I like the idea of keeping the kit with loop in place and also my values all in series.

Thanks to you and Kennyd for all the info.
Scott

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.