Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a line on a JD 40-u.

If your reading this you likely know way more than me.

I don't even know if this is posted in the Proper section yet....:munch:

Seen a bundle of tarp in a guys back yard and my kid went and talked to the owner.

40-u is all the info I got so far.
Tractor data shows a 2 cyl.

Is this the same basic "why a 2 cly" engine as all the others??

I'm totally green to these models but got hooked when someone posted the video last week.

Why Only Two Cylinders
Indestruckable ( to a point) easy to work on , simple , Brainless:yahoo: , No loader but has mower and ?

Whats one worth?

New they were 1500$ in 52 ish

:munch:

·
Registered
11,897 Posts
They are easy to work on. The Dubuque two cylinder tractors are much easier than the Waterloo tractors. At least to me they are. I never did get the hang of the larger two cylinders. I don't recall if JD made a loader for the 40-420-430 tractors or not. There were a few short line companies that did. There has to be some laying around in yards some place. Having worked on both, I would say that the 40 is easier than working on the 8N that you just bought.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
There was a JD loader made for the 40 series, don't recall the model number, but good luck finding one!

Mine is a 40 "Standard", narrower than the Utility, nice little tractor to have, I gave around $3000 for it 5-6 years ago, partially restored. Found a more modern 5' Ford front blade I was able to adapt to it for snow pushing.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
My first John Deere was a ‘52 Model M. The 40 was its replacement. They’re a good solid tractor and yes they are easy to work on. I used it for 12 years and the only thing I had to do to it was replace the clutch, pressure plate and throw out bearing. I was dreading doing it but it was actually really easy to split, install the parts and slide back together.

Since you say you’re unfamiliar with 2 cylinders, these machines are vertical 2 cylinders, not horizontal like the Model B, A, and G and the later number models of those.

I think the main difference between the M and the 40 is the 40 had the standard 3 point hitch. The M did not. It had dedicated implements that slid on a horizontal lift bar and the third point sat on a saddle underneath the bell housing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Pics

This is rediculous...45 min to load one pic.

I did one earlier that was mere seconds it seems.

Got a bunch I'll text to rtgt , but I think He's on Vacation someplace.

Took several shots of tractor and inspected the basics. Looks GTG.

Weird little thing. Offset to the left for some reason , seat looks like a park bench with ZERO springs, rear axle has some gear reduction boxes on the ends and puts rear wheels way back. Pto ,,wow it sticks way out back and appears offset too. The whole thing looks cockeyed. Mismatched front rubber and some steering slop were the worst things I could find. Long & low...should be perfect on the mountain.
Oil was clear & clean....very strange distributer cap. Although its a vertical 2 cyl...It should still sound like the horizontal.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
:good2:eek:ne more try & I give up

:yahoo::lol::usa

Attachments

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One more

Attachments

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Interesting. To start with, the distributor cap is normal. It’s the same as my Model M. For some reason the rear axle housings are mounted turned 90 degrees to the rear. The pan should be on the bottom not the back. Maybe they did that to lower the rear of the tractor. Starter looks normal, oil filter and gauge look normal and the carb and intake look normal. It has the adjustable front axle. Looks like it’s all there to me, just needs some TLC. And yes, it still sounds like a 2 cylinder.

(Edit) After looking at some photos of a 40U on Google, the rear axle housings are mounted the way your photo shows. Apparently that’s part of the “Utility” difference.

As for the steering slop, my M had 100 lb wheel weights bolted to the front wheels. It had about 1/2 turn of play. There is an adjustment on top of the steering gear to take some of it out, but I had to have the pin that follows the worm rebuilt and hardened to fix mine. The wheel weights were off from then on.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Maybe its the Orchard version.
The exhaust has been turned and runs slightly downhill towards back.

Maybe the axle boxes run as you say ...underneath for the high crop..??

They have owned it since early 70's.

Few leaks but they helped preserve it. gas smells good , ran last year.
Antifreze looked good.
Rear tires are loaded and probly leaking by the look of wheels.

Owner is some gal...a bit butch I hear..I don't care . Shes selling the couple properties next to my kids place sometime in the future. The time to act is now before some prospective buyer spots it.
I like it....Having a bit of trouble finding much info on these.

I think it was a short lived series and they went to 4 cyl.

So dose this fire 1 ,2 and then rotate 540* , then 1 ,2 ....like the horizontal version..?

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
I believe it’s just a standard 4 cycle engine. I don’t remember it having the pause after firing twice like my “B” does. I sold it in 2007.

After researching more, the main difference between the “40U” and the “40S” was the rear axle housings rotated to the rear, shorter front end and down exhaust. The “S” had the rear housings down, a higher front axle and exhausted up and was taller. So yeah, standard row crop vs orchard.

It should be a pretty good tractor. It just looks odd to me to have the rear axle pan drain plugs 4-5 inches up from the bottom.

·
Premium Member
5,967 Posts
After the 40 series there was the 420/430's (which were slightly higher HP) & according to JD history, the 320/330 as there was still a demand for the smaller tractors then the 420/430!

·
Premium Member
8,817 Posts
Hope you get the tractor, Duke......

Just take a new pouch of chewing tobacco, a spit bucket, a case of beer and get to the hagglin........cigars might not be her thing but you never know...:dunno:.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I believe it’s just a standard 4 cycle engine. I don’t remember it having the pause after firing twice like my “B” does. I sold it in 2007.

After researching more, the main difference between the “40U” and the “40S” was the rear axle housings rotated to the rear, shorter front end and down exhaust. The “S” had the rear housings down, a higher front axle and exhausted up and was taller. So yeah, standard row crop vs orchard.

It should be a pretty good tractor. It just looks odd to me to have the rear axle pan drain plugs 4-5 inches up from the bottom.

Where you finding info on these??

I see your in OR....likely just aways south of me..I'm in Gaston.

So with the 2 blank spots in the distributer cap....What goes on there??

Its either gotta rotate a ways to get back around to #1...I don't see enough flywheel meat for that.
or
do the blanks in the cap connect back to the ports ( internally in the cap) the sparkplug wires are hooked to?

1 ,2 ,blank1 ,blank2,then 1 ,2

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
Just Google searches. Also looking at the images. There was some info on Yesterday’s Tractors. I’m located just east of Salem.

I replaced the dist cap, points and condenser once. I thought the cap was odd too. But honestly, it just ran smooth. Pop, pop, pop, pop, pop. No pause in between that I can remember. Looking at the cap, it doesn’t make sense, I’ll give you that. Once you fire it up, you’ll know more. My “B” has a definite pause between the 2 cylinders firing. My “M” had a 6v alternator on it when I got it. Apparently the original generator had failed. Eventually when the battery died, I changed it to 12v negative ground. I didn’t have the starter rewound for 12v. I just avoided cranking it very long. As fast as it spun, it usually fired right up anyway.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hope you get the tractor, Duke......

Just take a new pouch of chewing tobacco, a spit bucket, a case of beer and get to the hagglin........cigars might not be her thing but you never know...:dunno:.

Its a long shot at best.....Been hiding out back thats good.
My kids lady knows the owner...another good.
Gals not hurting for money at all and the 2 properties will net Her another near Million.
Several acres with some ginormous big firs...I'm talking 6' through at the stump.
Not worth didlely for lumber as the branches are near a foot in dia. down low but its a nice property with the old growth intact.

Whats it worth?.....I'm seeing crazy asking prices on these ..5k and up. A few in the 3ish area.
I'm in at 2 or less or I'll move on.
Its not what I need. It has a cool factor. If it can be had right ..We'll likely move it @ some point to get the machine I need or get Jr. into a compact 4x4 with a loader. Its a fun hobby and regardless of who wins the next election...there not gonna ban tractors are THEY?
My other hobby is kinda on hold with all this ban whatever talk...insert " BETO".....his goose is cooked.:munch:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Soo .. What is the big Nut sticking through the front of the grill..??

I thought is was the other end of steering wheel/box .whatever but it don't spin.

Sheet metal is all screwed on so theres no easy way to see up in there.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts