Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the model 42 Hydraulic tiller Deere sells for the x700 series is compatible with any of the CUTs? There is one for sale here locally and I was wondering if it would work on my 2320.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Good question...I have no clue. If the X-series has hydraulic power to run it I can't see why the 2320 wouldn't. I am sure you would need to fabricate the hitch and have a long hoses made possibly. Depending on the price it might be a good project.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Jdfun,

The minimum requirements for the 42 tiller are a cat O three point hitch, and 2000 rpm mid PTO. This tiller has it's own pump that fits on the mid PTO to pump oil that is resivoured in the tiller itself. The 42 is a good option if you don't have 540 rear PTO.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if that is the case, I'd bet good money the hoses as the unit sits now would not be long enough to reach the mid PTO on the 2320, since the 2320 is considerably larger than the x7xx series (not that these could not be lengthened, however). My other thought is that there must be some bracket that would need to be made on the pump side where it connects to the mid PTO, to hold the pump in place.
thanks for the replies, guys.

·
Corndog Hater
11,111 Posts
This is an interesting question. please keep us posted if you go this route. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Jdfun,

The minimum requirements for the 42 tiller are a cat O three point hitch, and 2000 rpm mid PTO. This tiller has it's own pump that fits on the mid PTO to pump oil that is resivoured in the tiller itself. The 42 is a good option if you don't have 540 rear PTO.
Great info. I have wondered how they power them and now I know!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same idea in mind, just picked up a 42 tiller from a 345(mounting frame + belt driven pump).
Plan on picking up the mounts from Jim B. when he gets back up and running.
Still trying to solve the pump side though, my preference is to put together a pump/bracket for the 540rpm pto on the back of the tractor.

FAQ
Why would you ever want to do that :unknown: ?

The good:
A) The 42 tiller is an amazing piece of equipment
B) The 42 tiller is safer then shaft driven tillers(My Impression)
C) The 42 tiller has pressure relief valve, should you run into anything
D) The 42 tiller fits through my gate and works well in more confined spaces
E) I paid $700 for the tiller ;-)

The not so good
1) Will need three point mounting hardware for this version($500 if using Deere)
2) Will need to fabricate pump/bracket of some kind to fit my tractor($500 for new pump/bracket)
3) Narrower than my tractor(2720) so will have tire tracks(perhaps need offset)
4)

Questions:
>Which 540PTO Hydraulic Pump will work best(looking at a prince unit)?
>Can the tractor hydraulics run the tiller?
>Should I just resell, and pick up a KK ;-)

regards,

M

Great info. I have wondered how they power them and now I know!

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I have the same idea in mind, just picked up a 42 tiller from a 345(mounting frame + belt driven pump).
Plan on picking up the mounts from Jim B. when he gets back up and running.
Still trying to solve the pump side though, my preference is to put together a pump/bracket for the 540rpm pto on the back of the tractor.

FAQ
Why would you ever want to do that :unknown: ?

The good:
A) The 42 tiller is an amazing piece of equipment
B) The 42 tiller is safer then shaft driven tillers(My Impression)
C) The 42 tiller has pressure relief valve, should you run into anything
D) The 42 tiller fits through my gate and works well in more confined spaces
E) I paid $700 for the tiller ;-)

The not so good
1) Will need three point mounting hardware for this version($500 if using Deere)
2) Will need to fabricate pump/bracket of some kind to fit my tractor($500 for new pump/bracket)
3) Narrower than my tractor(2720) so will have tire tracks(perhaps need offset)
4)

Questions:
>Which 540PTO Hydraulic Pump will work best(looking at a prince unit)?
>Can the tractor hydraulics run the tiller?
>Should I just resell, and pick up a KK ;-)

regards,

M

Seems to me that you are going to go through a lot of time and expense to adapt this tiller when you could just pick up a new four foot 3 pt 540 PTO tiller for around $1500 and get the same results. So, yeah... sell it and pick up a KK.

My $.02

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Seems to me that you are going to go through a lot of time and expense to adapt this tiller when you could just pick up a new four foot 3 pt 540 PTO tiller for around $1500 and get the same results. So, yeah... sell it and pick up a KK.

My $.02
+1 Here. Just the PTO pump alone is north of $300, not sure if the tractors hydraulics would power it or not without knowing the specs on the old pump.

·
Registered
24 Posts

My $.02
Yep, no blinders on here. I think I will be in at about $1200, which is still quite low for a hydro unit. So even at the same price I think I would do it, considering the above benefits. In our area the hydro's are going for $1500-$2000, and will be grabbed quickly at this time of year.

the other advantage, is quite frankly if this all works out well, the unit could be installed on any tractor with a 540rpm rear pto / cat 0/1

Did I mention I love the hydro tiller :yahoo:

M

·
Registered
24 Posts
Doing some more reading on the Prince pump,

Looks like it just snaps right to the PTO, and you used a small bracket/chain to keep it from spinning.
If it is really that simple, then just getting the 3 point brackets for the tiller should do it

regards,

M

Yep, no blinders on here. I think I will be in at about $1200, which is still quite low for a hydro unit. So even at the same price I think I would do it, considering the above benefits. In our area the hydro's are going for $1500-$2000, and will be grabbed quickly at this time of year.

the other advantage, is quite frankly if this all works out well, the unit could be installed on any tractor with a 540rpm rear pto / cat 0/1

Did I mention I love the hydro tiller :yahoo:

M

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Yup, they are that simple-but they do weigh a lot especially with the hoses pulling on them so you might want to try to support the weight a bit.

·
Administrator
17,088 Posts
Sure, but a shaft is supported on the other end whereas the pump will be just hanging there. 36lbs is JUST the pump, now add fittings, fluid, and the hoses hanging off of it and your at what? Maybe 50lbs or so?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Agreed, so will build a mount to take off some of that weight - the last thing I would want is to but unnecessary wear on the PTO

Sure, but a shaft is supported on the other end whereas the pump will be just hanging there. 36lbs is JUST the pump, now add fittings, fluid, and the hoses hanging off of it and your at what? Maybe 50lbs or so?

·
Banned
419 Posts
Tiller and pump

It is very easy to convert the tiller to 3 point. In fact two angle iron pieces along the rails and a A frame attached to those. If I were doing it I would make a slide on mount for the draw bar for the pump and then mount a pulley on the PTO shaft and a smaller pulley on the pump speed up the pump RPM. That way you slide the pump on the draw bar and drop you pin in then put the belt on the belt on the pump and over the PTO pulley and your good to go. If you run from the rear PTO your going to have to increase the pump speed unless you buy one with a internal gear set up. Then again the weight on the PTO. The nice thing about the hydraulic tiller is that you can run it in reverse and gives you a very very fine seed bed. Your picking up the dirt and throwing it up and into the blades instead of dragging it through the blades. Run my 318 in reverse all the time. But that one you have to change the tiller around not the pump fittings.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts