Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a simple front mount bracket for the 420? Something I can use to build an attachment onto.

Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
Not on a 420 but a 316 which is similar. I used the 322 Weight bracket drawing to make a bracket for my suitcase weights. Also used that same bracket to make a front tote/bruch guard for my '74 112.
DSCN4446.JPG
DSCN4442.JPG

Reactions: HVACguy and Gizmo2

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Not on a 420 but a 316 which is similar. I used the 322 Weight bracket drawing to make a bracket for my suitcase weights. Also used that same bracket to make a front tote/bruch guard for my '74 112.
View attachment 674732
View attachment 674734
where did you get the spring loaded pins? or did you make them? Never mind, I found them on Amazon for 10 bux a pop.:thumbup1gif:

Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
where did you get the spring loaded pins? or did you make them? Never mind, I found them on Amazon for 10 bux a pop.:thumbup1gif:

Eric
I made the smaller ones for the tote.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx, I've been thinking I would throw together a front hydraulic boom with electric winch. Should be easier than rolling around the cherry picker.

Eric

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
I’d go easy on the reach. The balance of a 420 isn’t great. On my 420 with a loader with around 700 lbs ballast I can only pick up about 500 lbs before the rear tires come up. Small changes in how far that load is forward make huge changes in the ballast requirements.

Reactions: KennyP

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’d go easy on the reach. The balance of a 420 isn’t great. On my 420 with a loader with around 700 lbs ballast I can only pick up about 500 lbs before the rear tires come up. Small changes in how far that load is forward make huge changes in the ballast requirements.
Agreed, I've run a lot of hoisting equipment over the years. My plan was to make a pair of hydraulic stabilizer legs for lifting, then just pull the load close to travel. I'll just have to keep my eye on the front suspension, I would think that will be the weak point. I'll keep my eyes open for wheel weights as well, I do have a weight bar with 6-46's on it.

Eric

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanx, I've been thinking I would throw together a front hydraulic boom with electric winch. Should be easier than rolling around the cherry picker.

Eric
I made up a PDF of the mount for the Tote on the 112. I'll attach it here to see what changes I made for the side brackets. Have fun.
View attachment JD Weight-Tote Bracket.pdf

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made up a PDF of the mount for the Tote on the 112. I'll attach it here to see what changes I made for the side brackets. Have fun.
View attachment 674982
Thanx, nice job on the plans too. I was thinking about what you said about balance and when I was designing my tilt trailer I checked the balance point of the 420 with the 47"blower on it and the weight bar with about 300lbs and it was just behind the front wheels. Maybe I should reconsider, swap the weights to the front and build the boom for the rear.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Thanx, nice job on the plans too. I was thinking about what you said about balance and when I was designing my tilt trailer I checked the balance point of the 420 with the 47"blower on it and the weight bar with about 300lbs and it was just behind the front wheels. Maybe I should reconsider, swap the weights to the front and build the boom for the rear.
I have a 3-point boom I built. Works well with my tractors. It's not in JD colors though.
DSCN3679.JPG DSCN3680.JPG

I put the 3 holes for the top link to attach to allow for better angles when lifting things.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've got an extra engine hoist that I was thinking of modifying. If I add a double acting cylinder for the lift, put 2 out riggers on separate cylinders with a splitter valve, then add a couple of snatch blocks and a small electric winch, it should work nicely.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts