Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to the forum and new to JD tractors (23 year break). I need some advice. my JD 4230 will engage the PTO and will run fine as long as I hold the PTO lever in the engage position. Given the age of the tractor I think it could be a worn part issue. Any suggestions on where to start with getting it work without the need to hold it or use bungie cords

Thanks

·
Registered
965 Posts
What transmission do you have? Synchro Range, Quad Range, or Powershift? There are different linkages with different possible causes depending on what you have. The Synchro or Quad could be adjustment of link to valve, or more likely a cracked arm inside valve body. A Powershift may have a broken spring under dash on detent roller. Will the lever hold in at all?

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have a synchro-range 8 forward-2 reverse. The handle will go up (forward) to engage the PTO. You can feel a slight detent or click on forward movement of lever, however it will not stay forward and returns to the disengaged position when released.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
My guess is arm(key 5A or 5B) is bent or piston that applies pressure to arm is stuck in clutch valve housing. I witnessed this problem several times when employed at JD dealership. If cab model cab mounts might need replaced.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My guess is arm(key 5A or 5B) is bent or piston that applies pressure to arm is stuck in clutch valve housing. I witnessed this problem several times when employed at JD dealership. If cab model cab mounts might need replaced.
I will check the tractor in the morning to see if I see these parts. I bought this tractor at auction and figured I would have some issues with it. So far just minor things I need to fix.

·
Registered
965 Posts
Those parts are on the inside of the clutch valve on left side of the clutch housing. You will need to disconnect three oil lines and linkage from clutch pedal and pto lever to remove it. TxJim is correct on these parts and also be sure to check the cab mounts and brackets. If cab has dropped down, the linkages get out of adjustment.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Jnn

I’ve had a 4430 and a 4240 that did the same thing. Always held the pto lever up with a tarp strap, until was able/afford to get it fixed. No harm will get done using the tarp strap method.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts