Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a jd 450 tiller that I was able to use today and it was making a lot of noise so I pulled the side cover off and noticed it has very little grease/oil in it as well as missing the snap ring that holds the lower sprocket in place? Does it require grease or oil in this area and if so how much?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chain driven, The way it is set up there is no good way to put oil or even check it unless you pull the chain tightener bolt. I was thinking I would pull the bolt and then pump a bunch of grease into it and add a little bit of gear oil and run the thing.

·
Super Moderator
5,291 Posts
They make technical manuals for this stuff for a reason!

Page 5-8:

1. Install gearbox and tighten cap screws to 75 Nm (55 lb-ft).

2. Fill gear case to vent hole with John Deere GL-5® Gear Oil-SAE 80W-90 or equivalent.

3. Apply Loctite 592 pipe sealant with teflon to pipe plug. Tighten pipe plug to 10 Nm (89 lb-in.).

4. Grease chain with 3790 molybdenumdisulfate or graphite every 50 hours.

:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They make technical manuals for this stuff for a reason!

Page 5-8:

1. Install gearbox and tighten cap screws to 75 Nm (55 lb-ft).

2. Fill gear case to vent hole with John Deere GL-5® Gear Oil-SAE 80W-90 or equivalent.

3. Apply Loctite 592 pipe sealant with teflon to pipe plug. Tighten pipe plug to 10 Nm (89 lb-in.).

4. Grease chain with 3790 molybdenumdisulfate or graphite every 50 hours.

:thumbup1gif:
All the manuals I was finding yesterday when I was searching were generic and included the 647 tiller which takes oil in the side cover. Thanks for the information, it was a big help. I put a call into JD and they haven't called me back yet. Thanks again.:good2:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JD just called me back and said to fill it with GL5-80w90 oil to the top fill plug, but mine don't have a top fill plug so not sure what to do. I will just grease it for now, put the snap ring on and see what I get tonight. May end up pumping a combination of grease and oil into the case, can't hurt anything other then all leak out on the floor.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts