Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 1993 455 with 60 inch MMM. The GT has 23/10.5/12 rears and 16/6.5/16 fronts. I'm used to running Super garden tractors and would like to switch to 26/12/12 and 18/8.5/8 for a smoother ride cutting grass. I also like the look of the bigger tires.
Question is can i add bigger tires to my GT? If i did is they're more things i'd need to do before cutting grass? Thanks for any advice Kent

·
Registered
128 Posts
First question is do you have 2 or 4 wheel steering? With 4 wheel steering you will have clearance issues with the wider tires on the back.
The bigger tire sizes you mentioned were an option on the 455 but they use wider rims for those tires.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have four wheel steering. I most likely have some widened rims from my Sons pulling days. How much wider are the 26/12/12 rims? Thanks Kent

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
My only concern would be clearance with that 60 inch deck. I saw your picture of it in your other post and the 23 inch tires look awful close. I had a 425 with a 54 inch deck and the 23 inch tires like yours. Tractor data does list the 26x12x12 as an option but I would take that website with a grain of salt. I would do a lot of measuring before forking out the coin for rims and tires. It may very well depend on the type of tire you put on there as well. I know when I switched to Ag tires on my 425 sometimes it would hit the deck. I would consider HDAPS on the rear and Vredestein on the fronts.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My only concern would be clearance with that 60 inch deck. I saw your picture of it in your other post and the 23 inch tires look awful close. I had a 425 with a 54 inch deck and the 23 inch tires like yours. Tractor data does list the 26x12x12 as an option but I would take that website with a grain of salt. I would do a lot of measuring before forking out the coin for rims and tires. It may very well depend on the type of tire you put on there as well. I know when I switched to Ag tires on my 425 sometimes it would hit the deck. I would consider HDAPS on the rear and Vredestein on the fronts.
I have a couple sets of 26/12/12's turfs kicking around the shed.I would definately buy the Vredesteins for the front. Thanks Kent

Attachments

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your's are 10.5 wide so the 12's would be 1.5 inches wider, right??
Yes your correct for the tires, but different tractor brands put the 26/12/12 tires on different width and offset rims. eg. JD uses 10.5 wide rims for 26/12/12 where as Cub Cadet used 8.5 wide rims for the same tire. Thanks Kent

·
Premium Member
5,497 Posts
I purchased a 1993 455 with 60 inch MMM. The GT has 23/10.5/12 rears and 16/6.5/16 fronts. I'm used to running Super garden tractors and would like to switch to 26/12/12 and 18/8.5/8 for a smoother ride cutting grass. I also like the look of the bigger tires.
Question is can i add bigger tires to my GT? If i did is they're more things i'd need to do before cutting grass? Thanks for any advice Kent
It sure seems like some one on here has done this and posted photos of one with standard tires and one with these side by side.

Search “455 with 26” a few threads pop up.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
The 455 I owned had 18x8.50-8 on the front & 26x12.00-12 on the rear. It came that way new.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The 455 I owned had 18x8.50-8 on the front & 26x12.00-12 on the rear. It came that way new.
My guess is the early 455's came with the smaller tires and later in the manufactoring they switched to the larger tires. My question is did they make any changes to the machine when JD switched to the larger tires? What year was your 455? Kent

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
My guess is the early 455's came with the smaller tires and later in the manufactoring they switched to the larger tires. My question is did they make any changes to the machine when JD switched to the larger tires? What year was your 455? Kent
I think you’re correct. Either just first year, or first and second had smaller tires. 93-94.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
I believe my 455 was a 2000. I purchased a 425 AWS in 1994. The dealer had a used 445 on the lot with the smaller tires. I questioned the salesman about any difference between the tractors with the smaller tires & the newer tractors with the larger tires. I was told that the only difference was the larger tires & rims.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I think you’re correct. Either just first year, or first and second had smaller tires. 93-94.
That probably makes sense. My 425 had the smaller tires and was a 1993 model.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
455 tires

I just did this conversion on my '01 455 AWS. Larger Front tires are fine. My AWS came with the rear spacers because previous owner ran chains. I put 26/12/12 HDAP on standard AWS rims filled with washer fluid. Best thing I ever did to it. Traction is AMAZING!! I run a hydraulic dump bagger on back with 6-44# weights on the bigger weight bracket front bumper. Is it real close to my 60" deck, yes. does it rub a little going over rather uneven ground at a semi high speed cranked all the way left or right, yes, but I HATED the smaller tires, and needed more flotation, traction, and mower height. My mower is adjusted to max lift height. Got everything I wanted.

Many other owners have done this, even with the AWS. AWS Just need the rear wheel spacers. I have a NOS set if needed.

I myself would love to find/get 18/8.5/8 HDAP for the front to match my Carlisle's. Haven't found them yet.

The newer 4X5's have a larger cut-out on the seat pan/fender for the larger tires.

Would I run 20-30 PSI in them? I don't know. might rub with a 60. I run no less than 10 PSI in my left one for bead seating/retention, and air up my right one to re-level the deck because of the weight of the bagger motor and frame.

I wouldn't think twice about going to the larger tires.
hope this helps.

Allen.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just did this conversion on my '01 455 AWS. Larger Front tires are fine. My AWS came with the rear spacers because previous owner ran chains. I put 26/12/12 HDAP on standard AWS rims filled with washer fluid. Best thing I ever did to it. Traction is AMAZING!! I run a hydraulic dump bagger on back with 6-44# weights on the bigger weight bracket front bumper. Is it real close to my 60" deck, yes. does it rub a little going over rather uneven ground at a semi high speed cranked all the way left or right, yes, but I HATED the smaller tires, and needed more flotation, traction, and mower height. My mower is adjusted to max lift height. Got everything I wanted.

Many other owners have done this, even with the AWS. AWS Just need the rear wheel spacers. I have a NOS set if needed.

I myself would love to find/get 18/8.5/8 HDAP for the front to match my Carlisle's. Haven't found them yet.

The newer 4X5's have a larger cut-out on the seat pan/fender for the larger tires.

Would I run 20-30 PSI in them? I don't know. might rub with a 60. I run no less than 10 PSI in my left one for bead seating/retention, and air up my right one to re-level the deck because of the weight of the bagger motor and frame.

hope this helps.

Allen.
Thats great to hear. I had 26/12/12's on the back yesterday and they looked great. I dodn't have the deck on though. I even found some front rims for 18/8.5/8 tires. I'll just have to buy front tires.
Where are the pics of your 425 with big tires? Kent

·
Premium Member
8,807 Posts
I have a 455 with the 26 x 12 x 12 tires and the 60 inch deck and no clearance issues. It's close when the deck is fully raised but there is still adequate distance.

Even run tire chains or Terra Grips on the tires and as long as installed correctly, no clearance issues. Obviously, I don't run the chains or terra grips on with the deck installed.

The tires have great traction and very good overall wear. It's getting time to consider replacing them but with 3,000 hours of use on the original tires, that's exceptional wear. I did replace the fronts a few years ago.

John Deere lists ONE body pan for the 455 and does not indicate any serial number change or alternative part number. Its one part number in their parts system for all 455 models. The part number is M119458, so as far as earlier models and later models having different parts, the Deere parts system doesn't support that theory.

However, there is a difference between the footrests on the domestic tractors and the export models, but that wouldn't have any impact on the rear tire size. Both the body pan and the foot rests, both variations, are no longer available from Deere new, but are widely available used and I have even seen some NOS parts. I purchased the new floor pan a couple of years ago.

John Deere Parts Catalog

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts

hope this helps.

Allen.
I have seen 445s & 455s with the bolt on front wheels from the x700 AWD models. Someone made hubs for the front axles of the 400 series.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 445 and model 40 loader and had issues with weight on the factory front wheels/tires. I found a set of 1025R wheels and R4 tires at a dealer and ordered the front hub kit (700 series 4 x 4). That made a hugh difference in ride and the ability to handle the loaded bucket weight. It is also a nice look on that tractor.

I also added wheel spacers as the chains where hitting my loader brackets. I don’t think they created any issues with 60” mmm. Great set up.

I just purchased 2018 2025R TLB. The 445 is a great tractor, just looking for more capacity.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts