Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for info on how to advance the fuel pump and add more fuel. I am going to start pulling in a non turbo diesel field. Looking to turn up fuel and change timing of injection pump. I have a 1997 model year. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
Timing is done by shimming the fuel pump. Fuel is adjusted by a screw on the pump. In general these are tuned as rich as possible.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What can I do if pump has no fuel adjustment screw? Looks like there is a plug where adjuster should be.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have replaced pumps before on bigger tractors. I am a machinist and race engine builder by trade. Please let me know where I can get an adjustable pump. Thanks

·
Registered
9,561 Posts
I have replaced pumps before on bigger tractors. I am a machinist and race engine builder by trade. Please let me know where I can get an adjustable pump. Thanks
The service manual does not contain the pump replacement procedure, and google is full of horror stories of lost timing. Apparently the process is not like other Diesel engines. My dealer knows I do all my own work no matter how deep, and they warned me not to remove it. I have no idea where to get an adjustable pump, I’ve never heard of anyone doing that. You can contact yanmar, but you’ll need a similar model that isn’t used by deere to discuss, they do not directly support the JD engines due to their business agreement.

·
Registered
762 Posts
You also know to shim the PRV on the transmission, too? You won't want the tranny to pop off on you halfway through the pull, and I have no suggestions how to increase ground speed. Hydrostats generally don't make as good a puller as a gear drive.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Those wondering about the hydro might look here for some info

The systems are similar, but on the 332, the pump cant really be turned up too much without adding more air (turbo). Even then, most guys that turbo their little yanmars use too big a turbo to do it and dont get the benefit from it they want, or that they could.
That doesnt necessarily apply, except from a fuel delivery standpoint. An engine of a given size can only use so much fuel before you need to start changing other internal parts like cams. It seems like the smaller they are, the less flexibility they have in adding more.

All THAT said, Id find out the manufacturer of the injection pump, and start there. Somebody has to have a service diagram/manual for it...but I doubt youll find it here as I havent seen many threads about modifying the little Yanmars on this forum.
You might actually have more luck over on WFM (the site the above link came from).

Reactions: Town Manager
1 - 12 of 12 Posts