Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can't put a finger on this. Tractor runs well but, the rattle sounds is a little more than I can stand. I've been all over this with a stethoscope and can't seem to locate it. Is this just a normal sound from a 455 tractor? My 650 and 750 are very quiet compared to this. Any thoughts ? Tractor only has 918 hours on it.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
I can't put a finger on this. Tractor runs well but, the rattle sounds is a little more than I can stand. I've been all over this with a stethoscope and can't seem to locate it. Is this just a normal sound from a 455 tractor? My 650 and 750 are very quiet compared to this. Any thoughts ? Tractor only has 918 hours on it.
Are you talking about just at idle? Does the rattle diminish as the RPM's increase?

There is a cap on the injector pump to prevent it from being adjusted without removing this "cover" and that is often some of the rattle noise.

Also, I have a 455 and a new 1025r and I wish my 1025r was as quiet in the rattle department as is the 455......:laugh:

·
Administrator
20,284 Posts
Can you post a video of the noise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can't post a video, I'm pretty much old school. This thing is driving me to the loony bin. When I am getting ready to mow, I always choose the 650, sounds like a diesel should. Sad it is, because the 455 AWS was to be my go to for chores around here. Some say that's how it is, I just can't buy that. Something is amiss, just can't figure it out. After using it for an hour or so it is just as loud or more, no warning lights etc. It does get better when I apply full power, disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back. I'm ready to park it, let it live in the dark tractor shed....alone.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I think you need to look else besides the engine, look at all the body mounts/isolators, engine motor mounts, fan and fan shroud. The tractor was produced from 1992 - 2001 (so it is anywhere from 18 - 27 years old)

·
Registered
493 Posts
disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back... Could be your problem. I'm not familiar with the 455, but the pto air gap was a the large side and the front pulley would rattle when the pto was disengaged. Bob

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
Is the engine running at proper operating temperature? If it's been running too cold you might be accumulating carbon in the combustion chambers that can cause noise in a diesel. You might need a thermostat and coolant service.

You may want to run a good fuel supplement for a couple of tanks of fuel. Something that's designed to clean injectors and carbon like Seafoam or Power Service Diesel Kleen.

·
Registered
8,456 Posts
disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back... Could be your problem. I'm not familiar with the 455, but the pto air gap was a the large side and the front pulley would rattle when the pto was disengaged. Bob
It’s a wet clutch pto in the transaxle.

·
Registered
7,927 Posts
I can't post a video, I'm pretty much old school. This thing is driving me to the loony bin. When I am getting ready to mow, I always choose the 650, sounds like a diesel should. Sad it is, because the 455 AWS was to be my go to for chores around here. Some say that's how it is, I just can't buy that. Something is amiss, just can't figure it out. After using it for an hour or so it is just as loud or more, no warning lights etc. It does get better when I apply full power, disengage the PTO and, that rattle is back. I'm ready to park it, let it live in the dark tractor shed....alone.
How long have you had the tractor? When did you start noticing the noise, after a certain number of hours or has it always had the noise and it just seems worse? If the noise is new to the tractor and you can't locate it, I would consider possibly its a fuel issue.

The older diesels were not designed to run on the Ultra Low Sulfar Diesel (ULSD) which is now sold. The ULSD has much lower lubrication qualities because of the removal of the sulfur. Also, any blend of Biodiesel has much more "moisture in suspense" which is water, in the fuel because its made from animal fats and grains. The amount of "moisture in suspense" in the biodiesel is 10 TIMES that in the petroleum diesel blends.

If the rattle was a valve train component, it would get louder the faster the engine speed and wouldn't go away. If you can't pin down the noise to a specific component of the tractor and it goes away with higher RPM's, I would;

1. Run a double dose of Howe's "Meaner Diesel Kleener" through the fuel system by adding to your fuel . It will clean injectors and really help clean up the pistons and valve carbon build up. I run it at 2 ounces per gallon of diesel fuel to perform a "heavy clean". It won't hurt a thing to run too much verses too little of the cleaner. It cleans from the fuel tank to the exhaust pipe.

2. Treat all of your diesel fuel year around, with a good all season diesel treatment product which helps increase the cetane, helps make sure any moisture is separated, adds lubrication to the fuel and the products clean the injectors and injector pump.

Make sure to always use diesel fuel treatment products which contain NO ALCOHOL or ALCOHOL family products (that have names which usually end in an "ol") You want to make sure the treatment is a "de-emulsifier", which means it separates the water and moisture from the fuel and it does NOT force the water to go through the combustion chamber.

Many products are "fuel emulsifiers" which means it binds the water to the fuel so the water goes through the engine and is "turned to steam". Water is very abrasive and its hard on diesel engines, which is why the engines have water separators and fuel filters to catch the water. If you run an "emulsifier" product, it will make sure to defeat the water separator and it also makes it harder to filter out the moisture and water.

Any diesel treatment product with any type of alcohol or related alcohol products should be avoided. Water will actually wear the end of injectors not to mention damage the injector pump, etc. It's always best to get water OUT of the fuel and not run it through the engine. But there are a number of products which are designed to run the water through the engine because its "easier" than dealing with fuel separators, fuel filters, etc.

Good "de-emulsifier" products include, but are not limited to these;

Stanadyne Diesel Fuel Additive
Howes Diesel Treat

My 455 has always had a "diesel rattle" which is noticeable at idle and low RpM's and I have had it since new and its now at 3,000 plus hours. When I get the engine up in 25% throttle to the PTO operating range, it sounds fine. When I don't treat the ULSD fuel, the tractor smokes more and rattles louder in the same RPM ranges.

Many, many have posted comments about the newer diesel Yanmar's all have the "rattle", especially compared to older diesel models. Many owners of the newer tractors are surprised at how fast the engines idle, 1,650 RPMS, compared to the older Yanmar's and how much louder the engine noise is in the newer diesels. No question that the older the diesel engine in the Yanmar series, the less of a "rattle" it seems to have. If you are used to the 650 and the 750 diesel sounds, the 455 would seem louder.

The 455 engine has an excellent reputation for reliability. Very few actual engine issues with many of the little Yanmar engines. Its extremely common for those engines to go 3,000 to 4,000 hours and other than oil changes, nothing else is done to the actual engine. I have owned and worked on over a dozen 455's and every one of the engines has that "rattle" at low RPM's, usually idle speed through about 25% throttle. Then the rattle sound goes away as the RPM's increase.

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
When I received my first 455, it had an usual rattle that I would hear at idle. I was rather alarmed about it. I finally found some time to identify it. It was the clevis pin that retains the Thatcher handle, in the handle support upright. The Thatcher wasn't mounted and the clevis pin was stored in the support upright with no load upon it. It was amazing how much noise it would make rattling in the upright holes!

·
Registered
351 Posts
I don't know if you have a brush guard or not, but I had a rattle that was more than I could stand. I scope the engine and everything I could get a scope on, nothing. Then by chance I was at the front of the tractor and put my foot on the bar that runs side to side and holds on the brush guard. That's where the rattle was coming from.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for your replies. I will try fuel additive, perhaps it will help, sure can't hurt. I found that the battery hold down was rubbing on the flywheel which is open to the front of the tractor. I wonder if it is possible for something inside the muffler can break loose or some debris that could get inside it from the short stack ? I really like this machine but, that rattle is too much to stand.

·
Administrator
20,284 Posts
It’s too bad you’re so far away. I’d love to look at it for you.

Troubleshooting over the internet can be very difficult at times, especially with noise when we don’t have anything to go by but a description.

I wish you luck in finding the noise, it’s an awesome tractor.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Found it !!!!! the hose for air intake, which is attached to the plastic cover and left side panel was causing all this rattle. I happened on it by accident, leaning over I put my hand on the plastic cover and.....no noise...I found that the hose that fits in the panel was causing the plastic cover to vibrate. I'm not going to go insane...yippe. I'm a happy man.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
7,881 Posts
The easy fixes are the best fixes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
351 Posts
Found it !!!!! the hose for air intake, which is attached to the plastic cover and left side panel was causing all this rattle. I happened on it by accident, leaning over I put my hand on the plastic cover and.....no noise...I found that the hose that fits in the panel was causing the plastic cover to vibrate. I'm not going to go insane...yippe. I'm a happy man.
That's why I told you my story about the brush guard, and you found your rattle the same way I found mine. :lolol:

Now you won't be driven insane wondering how long until the engine explodes. Congrats.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts