Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My JD 457 Baler runs fine, the gate opens fast, but when it shuts its slow.

If I push the lever all the way forward, it stops shutting, but if I slowly let off, its like there is a sweet spot that continues the shutting but still very slow(almost like gravity closing). Ive switched ports and its the same thing.

When I pulled it out this year, I opened the gate to lube everything and went to lock the gate open. The lever for the locking block was stuck so I tapped it with a hammer and broke it free. After working it for a little bit, it finally is smooth again.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
Power down

On our Vermeer, the lift gate cylinders are double acting and if we put the remote hydraulic into float the gate will close but not lock. That's what sounds like is happening with your baler- when you push the lever all the way you are probably going into float and the cylinders are just being pushed down by gravity.

If I had to guess, the "down" remote coupling isn't working correctly but that's just a guess. Since you swapped to different ports, if it's a connection it would be on the baler side.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My tractor has a plastic piece that stops the lever from going into float.... I thought the same thing at first

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took it to the local deere shop and they figured out it was literally a bad hydraulic line. makes me sick to my stomach

·
Registered
4,820 Posts
'Glad you got it fixed

took it to the local deere shop and they figured out it was literally a bad hydraulic line. makes me sick to my stomach
Well, it's good to get it fixed but frustrating to pay someone. We've all been there at one time or another.

Treefarmer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts