Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1954 JD 50’s petcocks/compression relief valves are leaking some oil. I’ve tried to find replacements by looking online but can only find ones that will fit a model B.... Will they fit or does anybody have suggestions?

Thanks
Jim

·
Registered
11,204 Posts
I thought that the petcocks went away when electric start began, but I could be wrong. The 50 is not a lot different, mechanically, than the later model B, serial number 201,000 and up, so if it did have petcocks, I would assume the same part number for the B would work, but I don't know for sure.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Actually petcocks were utilized more for hand rather than electrical starting engine. IMHO petcocks on a 50 under block & inside frame would a pain to open/close. If 50 was my tractor & petcocks weren't required to start engine I would install pipe plugs in lieu of petcocks which BTW are listed in 50 parts catalog. A4242R subs to R55233 Pipe Plug -2.34 USD which is a 1/4'' size

·
Registered
364 Posts
The petcocks on our 1950 B are on the bottom, and I found out the hard way that it is good to have on a leather glove if reaching under there to close them on a running tractor. That flame can be hot!
I find them useful when the battery is low. Also since it sits long periods at a time it's rather handy to make sure the cylinders are not full of gas. Just a little less messy than letting it all blow out the spark plug holes. That happened this summer due to a leaking float in the carburetor.
They would be beneficial if one has the hand crank adapter (wish I did) to hand start one in an emergency. Providing one also can get the steering wheel off. One with battery ignition would need some battery power of course, but a magneto can get by.
I could take a gander under there tomorrow and see if they are the 1/4" NTP thread size.

tommyhawk

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually petcocks were utilized more for hand rather than electrical starting engine. IMHO petcocks on a 50 under block & inside frame would a pain to open/close. If 50 was my tractor & petcocks weren't required to start engine I would install pipe plugs in lieu of petcocks which BTW are listed in 50 parts catalog. A4242R subs to R55233 Pipe Plug -2.34 USD which is a 1/4'' size

Thanks Tx Jim! I was wondering why I couldn't find petcocks in the parts manual...... I've never needed to use the petcocks so I'll be ordering the plugs so the tractor quits marking it's territory on my garage floor :laugh:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts