Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so Kevin helped me straighten out the last problem, now I have another and I'm sure this is a big one. Tryed to use the PTO earlier today and when you engage it (pull up on the lever) it kills the engine, so I got off and tried to turn PTO shaft by hand and it was locked up tight, wouldn't budge an inch. SO now has anybody have an idea what could be causing this. Called previous owner and he said he never used it. Just used tractor to pull rake and wagons. Shaft doesn't show hardly any wear on it. TIA Gregg

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
The seals on the 50's, 60's and 70's were notorious to leak. It may be that it is simply rusted "shut". It's been a while but seems like there is only 4 bolts to remove the PTO. You'll be able to tell quickly if the gear oil has leaked out.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
Good possibility that the rear bearing is seized up.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Guys

Thanks for the suggestions. I won't have a chance till Monday to look at it again. Hopefully if it is the rear bearing, it's not froze to bad to the shaft, if it is how hard is this gonna be to get off. I will try and find my camera also to get some pics.

Gregg

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Here's the PTO section of a 60 which may be very similar to your 50. You can tell where the leak is coming from here.

Attachments

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wayne

Thanks for the pics, glad to know somebody else has a leak, mine acts like it is coming from the right front of the transmission pan where the bolt holds your drawbar assembly to it. I need to clean it off and see exactly where it is, while I have the tranny drain to pull pto out might as well try and fix the leak. I just hope the PTO problem is nothing more than a siezed bearing, I can turn it with a pipe wrench, but it's hard. I hope I don't overdue my welcome with so many questions????? I know this one will have a few more problems to fix. Thanks Gregg

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
Greg,

A JD mechanic told me there is a seal that is prone to leak between the transmission and PTO. When it does, it allows the transmission fluid to leak into the PTO cavity and the addition fluid causes the PTO seal to leak. That was my problem at least. Good luck

·
Registered
19 Posts
PTO problem on JD 50

Ok so Kevin helped me straighten out the last problem, now I have another and I'm sure this is a big one. Tryed to use the PTO earlier today and when you engage it (pull up on the lever) it kills the engine, so I got off and tried to turn PTO shaft by hand and it was locked up tight, wouldn't budge an inch. SO now has anybody have an idea what could be causing this. Called previous owner and he said he never used it. Just used tractor to pull rake and wagons. Shaft doesn't show hardly any wear on it. TIA Gregg
I know your post is old news but my JD 50 won't engage the pto clutch and the engine bogs trying . Tractor is new to me with no history. How did you fix your problem. Thanks

·
Administrator
20,866 Posts
:wgtt:

I think you'd be better off starting a new thread. Give us all the details you can and we'll be glad to help. :hi:

Sent using Tapatalk.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts