Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help!!!! My tractor won't go into reverse at all, even when it is not running. It goes into the other 6 gears easily without a problem. Any ideas, thanks

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Can you move the tractor just a tiny bit to see if the gears will line up and let you shift into reverse?

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
Sounds like you might need to take the shift tower off and peer down inside and look at your shifter forks.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Did it ever go into reverse?

On my 40U the forks were worn and sometimes I'd have to fiddle with it for a few minutes to get it into 1st or 3rd gear. I couldn't complain, the tractor was almost 60 years old.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Andy B

Yes it went into reverse Sunday night and come Monday morning it would go. Goes into all other gears easily. Now with that said, snce I bought it earlier this summer, it has always popped out of 3rd gear when under pressure.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Upon opening up the tranny from the top, I didn't see much abnormal. Now my shop manual talks about how the three pawls are held in raised position by a piece of wire. None of the three are in the raised position, or a piece of wire holding them up. Could be the problem or is that used when you remove the shifters only. If you have questions, I will be away from computer till later tomorrow. Thanks, Gregg

·
Administrator
20,880 Posts
You install the wire to remove or disassemble the shifter fork assemblies.

Check to make sure your forks are straight, aligned with the gears, and not heavily worn. The other thing I would check is the spline wear on the countershaft. That's the forward top shaft that the gears slide around on. My 60's countershaft and gear splines were worn so bad that they allowed two gears to engage at once causing the shaft to bend like a banana and jam it up tight. Follow the shifter pattern around to see which fork it moves to engage reverse. It should be easy to figure out. Then you can investigate why reverse won't engage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts