Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So this is a barn queen, it was hooked to a tricycle model 40 when I first became familiar with it. Long story short it’s been sitting for years. I got it hooked up today and greased it good and the gear box was still full of gear oil. I do remember putting new blades on it probably 10 years ago.
It still has the original metal shields on the pto drive line.
It has a square gear box with a dip stick with what appears to be a small red plastic vent in the center of the top gear box plate. Four bolts holding the gear box to a elevated stand up off the deck. It has the traditional round JD pig tail with rubber wheel on the back. Not laminated.
It has a clutch pack and square 540 pto shaft. Might be one inch square shaft, certainly not any bigger.
And traditional JD round three point braces going to rear of cutter deck.

I guess my question is was there a manufacturer making generic 509 nock offs? There are a few things that don’t look right like the deck sheet metal is very thin looking. And the safety chains are gone on front and rear. It could be just old. IDK.
And the gear box mounted to a elevated stand looked funny too.
I did run it some, very quite and no shake haha!!
I’ll get pictures tomorrow,

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Are you sure you're not looking at a 506? I sold JD 509 cutters when they were new & IIRC the top of deck was thick not thin metal. Also even the oldest 509 had 6 bolts securing gearbox to cutting deck. Frt/rear safety chains were an option. I was also thinking all integral 509's had laminated tail wheels.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be a 506, I looked in JD parts and both models have similar features. I'll post up some pics this afternoon.

This cutter could easily be 45 years old, or close to it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It says 540, the serial is on the back of the gearbox but I can’t read all of it. 127 space then 003. I’d never heard of a 307 but that’s what it is for sure.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts