Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. I'm having a bit of an issue. Our JD 5093E has decided to just stop moving whenever you start up an incline. i.e. Today I was brush hogging a field, everything was going great until I went to go up a small hill at which point the tractor slowly cam to a stop. The odd thing is, the engine stayed running, didn't bog down or anything, the RPM's didn't increase or decrease, the brush hog kept running, no warning lights, nothing.... To get it to go again, I pushed in the clutch and released it. This is only happening when going up an incline. I don't know if this will matter or not, but I run the machine in 4 wheel drive as the fields I cut are swampy in areas. If anyone has any idea of what could cause this, please share. Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Checked all fluid levels, wiring, etc. I agree it is strange that it doesn't have issues on level ground. It has a wet clutch, so I'm wondering if it may have a small leak and getting the clutch disc wet. Which may not cause an issue on level ground being that I am running it at a steady speed and rpm for hours on end. I have about 200 acres and 98% of it is level. With the MX10 on the back I run 3rd gear B range and PTO in the 540 position. Looks like I may have to take it in to the dealer.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not that it matters much or will be of any help, but I'm just curious. If you're travelling along on level ground, everything working as usual, can you stall and kill the engine with the brakes? You probably haven't tried it, but does it do this in reverse as well?

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
684 Posts
Have you tried to go into diagnostic mode, look at the PTR section, and see if there are any error codes? The operator manual explains how to use the roll mode button to do this.

Do you have a 12/12/ or a 24/12 transmission? If a 24/12, have you found that the problem only occurs in H or L for the selected gear?

Do you have a Reverser Modulation knob, and if so, what position is it in and have you tried other positions to see if the behavior changes?
Motor vehicle Font Steering wheel Automotive wheel system Machine

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not that it matters much or will be of any help, but I'm just curious. If you're travelling along on level ground, everything working as usual, can you stall and kill the engine with the brakes? You probably haven't tried it, but does it do this in reverse as well?
Hi, just tried this and the engine kicked down and kept pushing. In the event my brakes were a little worn, I took it to the south field and pushed back some fallen trees. Got up against a big tree I knew I couldn't move let the clutch out and it sat there and spun tire. Put it in 4 wheel drive and it dug in harder, but never stalled. This is a real mystery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried to go into diagnostic mode, look at the PTR section, and see if there are any error codes? The operator manual explains how to use the roll mode button to do this.

Do you have a 12/12/ or a 24/12 transmission? If a 24/12, have you found that the problem only occurs in H or L for the selected gear?

Do you have a Reverser Modulation knob, and if so, what position is it in and have you tried other positions to see if the behavior changes?
View attachment 855540
Hi, no error codes. I think this has a 12/12 (it a 4 speed trans with A B and C ranges). No modulation knob. It does have a PTO shift lever which has 540 and 540E selection which limits the PTO and engine RPM. I normally run it at the 540 for the attachments I use.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
Not related to your problem but I would suggest running in economy PTO unless you are pulling something that is really loading the tractor down. Mine stays in EPTO all the time and most of what I dio is PTO related. Fuel consuption is almost cut in half.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For my situation, I found that setting the pto to 540 works best as it limits the pto and the tractor rpm. This way the only thing I have to do is lift and lower the deck when I go through the swampy areas and steer ofcourse. Plus at that speed I can just sit back in the a/c and listen to the sterio. Staying awake is the hardest thing until you hit a groundhog hole which will rattle your bones...

·
Registered
684 Posts
To get it to go again, I pushed in the clutch and released it. This is only happening when going up an incline.
Given your experience with operating the clutch to clear the problem, that is where I would start.

The Technical Manual for my 6120E with either 12F/12R or 24F/12R power reverser transmission has a series of Transmission Clutch Engagement Pressure Tests that are designed to verify that the forward/reverse clutch pressures are adequate. There are also tests to verify that the clutch pressures are within range when the PTO is operating (to verify proper isolation), so there can be a problem where the clutch pressure is only below spec when the PTO is operating.

Fortunately these tests are run by observing the clutch pressure readout on the diagnostic screen, so you can check this out without even attaching a pressure gauge.

If the tractor stalls on a hill, and you disable the PTO, does that allow it to move forward without touching the clutch?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have the same tractor model is a 2012 have 1950 hrs. on it and I'm having an issue with the tractor not moving at all. Today I went to hook up my hay mower and the tractor will not move. Don't know what the issue is just like OMG said I've had that happen before but just like him I pushed clutch and it just continued on. Until today.

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have the same tractor model is a 2012 have 1950 hrs. on it and I'm having an issue with the tractor not moving at all. Today I went to hook up my hay mower and the tractor will not move. Don't know what the issue is just like OMG said I've had that happen before but just like him I pushed clutch and it just continued on. Until today.
If you are sure that a range and gear are properly selected, then check for an error code in the Power Train Reverser (PTR) diagnostics section. There are a great many PTR system errors that result in the PTR Control Unit holding the tractor in neutral with no further movement until the problem is resolved.

For example, there are pressure sensors on both the forward and reverse clutch packs, and if the pressure sensor reading on either is below 0.2V or above 4.8V the control unit holds the tractor in neutral because it can't tell if one or the other is incorrectly engaged.

Have you looked for wiring damage under the tractor? Lots of switches and sensors to make these tractors operate.

·
Registered
74 Posts
If you are sure that a range and gear are properly selected, then check for an error code in the Power Train Reverser (PTR) diagnostics section. There are a great many PTR system errors that result in the PTR Control Unit holding the tractor in neutral with no further movement until the problem is resolved.

For example, there are pressure sensors on both the forward and reverse clutch packs, and if the pressure sensor reading on either is below 0.2V or above 4.8V the control unit holds the tractor in neutral because it can't tell if one or the other is incorrectly engaged.

Have you looked for wiring damage under the tractor? Lots of switches and sensors to make these tractors operate.
I have not noticed any damage of wires but because of the number of squirrels in my area I wouldn't doubt that. Also, how do you check for any error codes? I have no equipment for doing this on the tractor. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
684 Posts
I have not noticed any damage of wires but because of the number of squirrels in my area I wouldn't doubt that. Also, how do you check for any error codes? I have no equipment for doing this on the tractor. Thanks for the reply!
What is the serial number of your 5093E? Trying to find the operator's manual to see if there is information on displaying error codes.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts