Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, Merry Christmas to all and may the New Year treat you and your loved ones with good health and kindness.
We have had a few hits of snow so far this year in the Maritime Provinces of Eastern Canada. Some have been a bit nasty, thus far the snow blower has stood its ground. I have it mounted on a 1026R.
The chute got locked today and would not move. I was going through some heavy frozen sleet and ice the municipal plow loaded in my driveway.
This is my first season with the blower and the 1026R. I examined the cables and the hydraulics for the chute and it appeared there was a buildup of ice underneath the cowling that houses the cables.
I am curious, anyone else ever have this problem? Am I doing something wrong? Seems to me this should not happen. I don't feel I was pushing the equipment to hard.
Thanks,
/ Dixdaman

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
Thread moved to correct forum.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Check to see if the bolt and nut came off on either end of the hydraulic cylinder. Does hydraulic cylinder move when the joystick is actuated?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Check to see if the bolt and nut came off on either end of the hydraulic cylinder. Does hydraulic cylinder move when the joystick is actuated?
The chute rotates via cable, wrapped around a "pulley". The pulley is driven by hydraulic fluid, no cylinder involved in that part of the setup.

It is possible that you got some slush up underneath. Does it seem that the pulley wheel is spinning with the application of the joystick? If so, it's possible that you got just enough wet stuff in there and it iced on the pulley. That could be enough to keep the cable from being able to have "traction" when the pulley spins.

Have you tried parking the blower someplace out of the direct cold to see if it would melt off?

·
Administrator
18,541 Posts
The chute rotates via cable, wrapped around a "pulley". The pulley is driven by hydraulic fluid, no cylinder involved in that part of the setup.
How does hydraulic fluid drive a pulley? I can't get into JDP right now, but I am 99.99999999999999% sure the cables are driven by a cylinder under the long black cover.

Reactions: etcallhome

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
How does hydraulic fluid drive a pulley? I can't get into JDP right now, but I am 99.99999999999999% sure the cables are driven by a cylinder under the long black cover.
Yes, there is a cylinder in there. I was thinking along the lines of the pulley wheels that the cable has to ride over. But, in looking at the diagrams, it seems that my theory on icing wouldn't hold up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts