Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a very low cost expansion to my 54" John Deere grader blade. It is now 72" wide.

I used some scrap rubber stall mat for the extensions. The pieces were 12" wide X 18" tall.

I used some scrap 1/2" galvanized pipe for the back braces & pieces from each end of a worn out cutting edge from a 54" blade for the front cutting edge braces.

The 1" X 4" X 72" rubber cutting edge was a cut off from another blade.

The extensions seem to be very strong.

They are calling for snow over night, so I might get to try it out tomorrow.

·
Corndog Hater
11,777 Posts
That looks great, thanks for sharing it with us. Give us an update on how it works for you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Super Moderator
8,152 Posts
Quite an improvement! :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
583 Posts
You will enjoy the extra width, especialy when angled. Good job. If your south of Indy, you will get to use it for sure.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone.
I will have to wait for another day to try it out.
We are east of Indy & just on the edge of the storm. Only about 1/4" so far.
I am not disappointed though, it would not bother me if I did not get to try it out until next winter.

·
Registered
23,075 Posts
That came out very nicely - great work!

Not to be down on your modification, but this is why I opted not to go with a 54 blade when I purchase an implement for snow removal for next winter (been using my 53" bucket for 7 years now). I don't have the ability to do mods like this to make the 54 blade usable on my 2520.

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That came out very nicely - great work!

Not to be down on your modification, but this is why I opted not to go with a 54 blade when I purchase an implement for snow removal for next winter (been using my 53" bucket for 7 years now). I don't have the ability to do mods like this to make the 54 blade usable on my 2520.
I wish I had done this back when I had the 2320. But back then, I had a cab & did not care how long it took to plow the snow.

Now we have an EMT station renting a property from us that shares part of our home driveway. They moved in a week ago. I had to come up with a way to plow the drive quicker. I bought a 7 foot Meyer plow & mounted it on my 400CX loader. That setup is just to big for the area.

The snow storm moved further north, so I did get to plow some snow. The extended plow worked great. I cannot believe that the additional 9" of width on each side would make that much difference. We have about 70 feet of curved retaining wall along the drive. I have been plowing the drive for close to 30 years with 54" blades on many different models of JD tractors. This was the first time I was ever able to plow along the wall in 1 pass.

It cut the plowing time by close to half.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Nice work. I like your wood working shop also.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts