Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Flame suit on - at the risk of taking a bunch of abuse about this, I'm going to ask anyway.

I've got an X738 with a 54" snow blade. I'd like to have an FEL for the X738, but cannot justify the cost of a CTC or other brand full-blown FEL for the few times a year I need to move light weights around in the garden, etc. Information on the JD 54" Tractor Shovel says it will handle up to 200 pounds, which is enough for my needs. It does appear to be a PIA to use and has some obvious limitations on height and dexterity. But again, it might work for what I need it for.

Does anyone have any experience with the JD 54" Tractor Shovel attachment for the snow blade?

Thanks in advance for any insight. And for not flaming me about a 'sissy' loader.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Sissy shovel, hell. You get for the need. I was looking at that, and how it operated. Then I started thinking about how that clamshell could be modified. Just looking at it, and what's available with similarity, brings the fruition of the Buford Bucket. But starting with the plow blade, that's a great base for better functionality and usefulness. I watched a few videos of the clamshell affair. One guy was moving bark to the flowerbeds. IMO, the effort of going through the motions with it the way he did, he made more of a mess, and laid more tracks through the landscaping than was necessary. The guy would have been better off using a Red Ryder Wagon. :laugh: My comments not reflected at you.

I say if you have a use, and it makes life easier, why not get one. To heck what others think. It's not their back taking the brunt of the work to make comment, joking aside :hi:

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have one (included with the package when I bought used tractor a couple years ago) and I think it is okay. I wish for a 45 loader occasionally but I have to say it has saved my back a few times. Here is a pic moving an oak log (~ 400 lbs. and now I have grapple I would use) and another when I moved 14,000 lbs of black dirt this spring in about 3 hours (I'd still be working on it with my wheelbarrow). Hmm not sure why flipped but you get drift.

Attachments

·
Registered
570 Posts
Click twice and the image flips back upright :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have the 48" on a 590

I have the 48" on a x590.
The good:
- Sure beats a shovel for moving lose material
- Will scoop lose topsoil, mulch and some process gravel (if not rained on and hard)

The bad:
- Lift height
- Can't lift and dump into a trailer
- On rough terrain it will easily drag the ground.

I get topsoil one yard at a time in a 6x12' trailer. I park it on a slope so the ramp is level with the ground and trialer.
I have probably spread 10 yards this way easy.

Would I buy again?
Yes, meets my needs.

·
Administrator
17,945 Posts
Flame suit on - at the risk of taking a bunch of abuse about this, I'm going to ask anyway......

Thanks in advance for any insight. And for not flaming me about a 'sissy' loader.

We don't do that here...

Often anyway LOL

:hide:

:laugh:

Welcome to GTT!

·
Registered
68 Posts
My brother & I each have a 318 & 54" blade. We wanted a loader but even building one would be a significant investment. I do CAD engineering & programming at a metal shop & we're both fairly handy mechanically so we designed & built our own scoops based on some pictures I found online.

They're definitely not a loader & have the limitations mentioned already. On the other hand, we have moved a lot of dirt with them. They sure beat a wheel barrow & the shoveling that goes along with filling one. I personally think it's also a lot of fun to go out & move snow with, but haven't needed to use it for that for a few years. To each his own, but if you have a need that it will fill I say "go for it". Good luck in whatever you decide.

·
Registered
624 Posts
I have the 48" on a x590.
The good:
- Sure beats a shovel for moving lose material
- Will scoop lose topsoil, mulch and some process gravel (if not rained on and hard)

The bad:
- Lift height
- Can't lift and dump into a trailer
- On rough terrain it will easily drag the ground.

I get topsoil one yard at a time in a 6x12' trailer. I park it on a slope so the ramp is level with the ground and trialer.
I have probably spread 10 yards this way easy.

Would I buy again?
Yes, meets my needs.
I wasn't aware this scoop feature was available for the X580/590 48" blade. Do you have more information about the clamshell attachment??

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
To close out this thread, I did purchase the JD 54" Tractor Shovel. Install was pretty straightforward and the parts all fit. If you're looking for a back-saving tool for moving loose dirt, gravel, mulch, etc. this thing isn't bad. It would be nice if it had a higher lift range, but that's limited by the Quick Hitch and the hydraulic cylinder - it's sufficient to move stuff around. It's easy to operate and doesn't take much additional effort to take on and off my X738. Capacity is a bit low, and compacted material is a bit tough to get hold of, but for what I need it works okay.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thought about it for my x738 but I would get more use out of a loader that lift higher. Besides I already have the JD 18" blade extensions on my blade for snow. I'm considering the little buck loader if need a loader.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I thought about it for my x738 but I would get more use out of a loader that lift higher. Besides I already have the JD 18" blade extensions on my blade for snow. I'm considering the little buck loader if need a loader.
I looked at the LB Loader online.
One thing I wish I could see, both the LB and Buford Bucket in use, in person, by someone that owns them.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I looked at the LB Loader online.
One thing I wish I could see, both the LB and Buford Bucket in use, in person, by someone that owns them.
I designed and built the Buford Bucket, so my opinion is biased. It is a very good loader!
I now have the loader on an X595 which is an outstanding combination.

Here is a video of the loader in action.

YouTube

George of Buford

·
Registered
570 Posts
My only dislike about them, there's no way to do a pre-run inspection with it bolted on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts