Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:munch::munch:New to the forum, I'm in the process of restoring a 1956 60 with factory power steering. The power steering is leaking profusely and turns all the way left while idling. Anyone ever been into one of these?

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

I too have a model 60. I don't have the power steering so I can't help you there. Do you have any manuals? I might be able to help you with some specific questions from my manuals.:good2:

:wgtt:

·
Administrator
20,905 Posts
Here's where I got a lot of my manuals. I highly recommend getting them. They're a great investment.:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Without being able to see it in person, sounds like some o-rings need to be replaced. If the steering gear and bushings are still in good shape, then it could be just worn out and cracked rubber parts. That's just a guess.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Depends where it is leaking. If it leaks from the bottom, you will need to disassemble the pedestal and replace the lower seal. If it's from the top where the steering shaft connects it may need a top casting seal, which is rather easy to replace. If the casting is worn, you may be out of luck as the replaced seal will begin to leak only after a few hours of heavy use. It is my understanding that the "casting" is not available, but you may be able to replace with a used one that is not as worn. Get some shop manuals... a wise investment. I rebuilt a number of power steering units using an IT shop manual... but there are better ones out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts