Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all I am redoing our 6400 front wheel bearings and seals was curious if anyone had the part number for the bearings and seals and anything else that I should look into replacing while it's torn apart, thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
You should register for John Deere Parts .com. It's free and almost exactly the same system your dealer's parts guy uses.

Looks like you'll need to identify what front axle you have. This is the first axle they listed.

Screen Shot 2017-02-02 at 5.16.09 PM.png

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts

·
Registered
972 Posts
Just curious as to why you are changing bearings and seals? Are seals leaking or bearings worn? From your picture, axle looks very clean. No signs of leakage at the hub seal unless you washed it first. It is normal service to change the oil in the hubs but the bearings are very durable unless run without oil.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sir it was leaking pretty bad had to spend 3 hrs with a pressure washer. Was puking oil onto the rim so I assume the back seal went and figure since I am in there may as well do it right

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys I'm in between a rock and a hard place here, couple problems I am having are.... a. I feel as though since it was leaking and soaking the wheel in oil I should replace every bearing and seal. BUT the wheel bearings seem OK to me, now I am more familiar with a sealed bearing and the wheel bearings do have some play in them( meaning I can move them u and down and side to side . Also any advice on how to get the housing unit off the axle ? I got the top plate off but the bottom plate and it's bearing is siezed in. Any help is appreciated

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well i mad early the call to replace everything while I have it this far apart. Should be interesting

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Well i mad early the call to replace everything while I have it this far apart. Should be interesting
I'd replace everything if new parts are readily available. You don't want to go through this again for the next 10-20 years. Well except for the other side. lol

Just another thing, 2 jacks don't = a jack stand. Especially if either jack used alone won't lift the load. Last thing you want is that tractor crushing you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I know about the jacks lol , its on a stand when I'm under it. And I am probably doing both sides to save the hassle down the road. Poor tractor gets abused alot

·
Registered
12,670 Posts
Figured may as well clean it up the best I can. Before copious amounts of degreaser
Chads300--i watch a lot of u-tube-and if u go to one loney farmer-he has several fix it videos of his 7410 on their. pretty detailed too. just thought i'dl throw that out to u.:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: em14 and johnH123

·
Registered
438 Posts
Bearing splitter, then a puller. Big ones can be pretty pricey. I'd take them to a shop and let them pull em.
View attachment 310833

1 - 20 of 35 Posts