Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slow leak and it appears to be coming from one of the connectors where it connects to the SCV (I believe that is the correct term, newbie here). I am going to apply some sealant tonight and see if that stops the leak. I was wondering if there are O rings in this connector in one or both ends that could be bad also. I can't find any detailed information to determine this and though I would ask the forum. I would think there would be one in the receptacle that has the knurled ring. If so, are they easy to replace? Not much of a mechanic, but I try hard.

Thank you for your time.

DreaminMan in Maine

·
Super Moderator
7,911 Posts
Clean it off good to make sure you know where the leak is coming from. It may be leaking from the female quick coupler and internal O-rings are available and easily replaceable. I believe the fitting adapter that screws into the SCV also has an O-Ring seal on it. When in doubt, take it apart and find out!!

Welcome aboard as well!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
^^^^^ What they have said. There many different type of hydraulic connections. Many do not use any sealer. I would hose the area with a good degreaser and run it a little bit. If there is a quick coupler near by you could just be seeing the little bit of oil that leaks where the couplers are decoupled. Hydraulic fluid is much like diesel fuel and will spread out over time so it can be hard to tell the true source until it is cleaned up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Great information, guys thank you. I will take your advice and clean it up tonight and see if I can find where the leak is coming from precisely. I believe it is coming from the female part of the connection. It is going to be very difficult to find because when watching it I can not see it drip, it show up after sitting for a while. I will post some pics tonight and see what you guys think. Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
You can use flower to help trace the leak. After you clean up the connections sprinkle the flower over them. It will help to visualize where it is coming from.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gizmo2 - No I don't usually release the pressure on the hydraulics when done for the day. I guess I probably should do that, it never occurred to me.

Felixm22 - Flour is a great idea, I'll do that tonight after the cleanup,

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Be careful if working around the hydraulics when there is pressure. Injury can happen quickly if the fluid hits your skin under pressure. It might not appear bad at the time, but seek medical help if it happens! So yes, flour is a great option to try to find the leak.

·
Administrator
17,273 Posts
You can use flower to help trace the leak. After you clean up the connections sprinkle the flower over them. It will help to visualize where it is coming from.

I think you mean flour...must be your phone!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The flour trick worked perfectly. Shower me where the leaks was in 10 minutes. Thanks you so much for that tip. As I suspected it is in the female connector. I think I can see an O ring in there, perhaps that is the culprit. I guess I will see if I can make it to the JD dealer to order the replacement rings, then see if I cn figure out how to replace that ring. Any tips on how to remove and replace it?

Pic is attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hydraulic Leak Update

Well I received the O rings (i got some backups) and installed it, I had a heck of a time trying to get it into the proper position and sadly I didn't have it positioned correctly when I first inserted the connector to reconnect and it wouldn't connect. I could see that it was out of position and that i possibly damaged it do to it being out of position, but I put it in position any way and hoped for the best. Well it is better than that ring it replaced but still has a tiny leak, due to my negligence and inexperience. So I will replace this one and take my time ensuring proper seating.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals. This is a great forum.

Dreamin Man

1 - 13 of 13 Posts