Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
JD 748.jpg

I'm looking at purchasing a 2006 748 with 1000 hours on it.

The question I have is ... has the 748 evolved much over the years or - is it for the most part the same tractor?

Is there any red flags to a 2006 model year?

Thanks - in advance

·
Registered
3,652 Posts
View attachment 146929

The question I have is ... has the 748 evolved much over the years or - is it for the most part the same tractor?

Thanks - in advance
The big change in later years was the hydraulically driven front axle.
I don't know exactly what year that was, but it was several years after 2006.
I have a 2006 X748SE that I bought new, and I really like it. It has 1200 hours or so on it, and has been very reliable.
For my uses, I much prefer the NON hydraulic, mechanical driven axle.
What is the asking price? I would by another one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
The big change in later years was the hydraulically driven front axle.
I don't know exactly what year that was, but it was several years after 2006.
I have a 2006 X748SE that I bought new, and I really like it. It has 1200 hours or so on it, and has been very reliable.
For my uses, I much prefer the NON hydraulic, mechanical driven axle.
What is the asking price? I would by another one in a heartbeat.
$7200 ... I am assuming that it might be somewhat negotiable. I am going to talk to the seller today.
There is also 2013 738 with 400 hours for sale but the asking price is $9600. Not sure I want to pay the extra $2400.
I don't have a lot of yard - wooded lot (moved into the house last summer) - but I have three areas that my 345 would not go up and the back tire would spin causing yard divots.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have X748 I bought 4 years ago with 650 hrs. and it now as 2100 hrs on it and I have had no real problems with it . I use for my snow removal and lawn maintenance business, I just keep it greased and do regular service to it. I like that I can switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive, I found do snow removal I needed the front wheel under power when turning for pushing or blowing snow, the new models with the hydraulic front drive are not under power when you turn the front wheels. Hope this helps.

2003 X495 4300hrs. 62C mower, 47 inch Blower
2006 X748 2100hrs. Curtis hard cab, 62C mower, 47 inch Blower, 52 inch Broom
LX 178
1830 tractor with 146 loader

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have X748 I bought 4 years ago with 650 hrs. and it now as 2100 hrs on it and I have had no real problems with it . I use for my snow removal and lawn maintenance business, I just keep it greased and do regular service to it. I like that I can switch from 4 wheel to 2 wheel drive, I found do snow removal I needed the front wheel under power when turning for pushing or blowing snow, the new models with the hydraulic front drive are not under power when you turn the front wheels. Hope this helps.

LX 178

Thanks

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I was about to buy an X738 when I changed my mind and went 1025. From what I could learn the front wheel hydraulic drive system uses flow control valves at each wheel. Full time 4 wheel drive and when you turn the wheel mechanical linkage adjusts the flow control valves to increase the speed of the outside turning tire and decrease the speed of the inside turning tire. If they did their homework this will give you full time four wheel drive without any turf scrubbing or damage. Never got the chance to see how well the system worked but I have faith in the concept.

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
The 2006 was the first year for the 748 its sister the x595 ended in 2005.The only complaints I heard and this was 2009 + units is the radiators would leak when the frame twisted or flexed going over uneven ground like when mowing a ditch.

·
Registered
408 Posts

LX 178
What!!! that's crazy talk, the front wheels are always under power with the hydraulic drives.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just sold my 2006 X748 last week after 10 years of use excellent and reliable service. I am confident the new owner will enjoy the same reliability as mine was well cared for and regularly serviced. The mower deck would be the greatest area of wear and tear and if the spindles were not regularly greased, this is where they may be longer term reliability issues, albeit not major ones or huge cost.

·
Registered
408 Posts
To eric102
I was mistaking about HFW, I might that the front wheels are controlled by a value to slow the inside wheel when turning.
Correct, that's the beauty of the hydraulic AWD. 4 wheels driving all the time yet no ripping up the lawn when turning and 4 wheel braking as a bonus! A great system for low traction situations, not sure why anyone would choose selectable 4 wheel drive over it except they tend to be cheaper since they are older.

·
Premium Member
9,060 Posts
View attachment 146929

Thanks - in advance
John Deere has extensive experience with the Yanmar Diesel engine and the drive unit in these tractors. I have a predecessor to the x748, which is the 455 and I have 2,400+ hours on it. It has been extremely reliable and a very capable machine for it's size. The fuel efficiency of the Yanmar's is amazing and with the issues with ethanol blended into gasoline, I would stay away from a gas tractor and choose diesel any day. While you pay a premium for the diesel as compared to the Kawasaki gas engines, the diesels have higher resale value.

Don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing the Kawasaki gas engines in any way. I just prefer the increased torque and fuel efficiency of the diesels and as long as you take care of them, 1,000 hours is nothing. The $7,200 price is in line with what I see many of those selling for, assuming that includes either the 54" or 62" deck.

I am going to add a 1025R to my green stable, but I plan on keeping the 455 as well. I bought it new with every major implement other than the cab and I have really enjoyed owning and using this machine. The main reason I don't want to sell it is because it has been such a good tractor and I wouldn't want to see it not taken care of properly by someone who may not be as "specific" about the maintenance as I have been. I have had it nearly 20 years.

I have seen no major red flags on these units, regardless of the actual model year. The one's I have seen which required major repairs were not maintained and often, were used by municipalities, etc. and seriously abused.

I Grease the mower deck spindles, etc. and main fittings on the tractor every time I mow and I change the oil every 50 hours. I use the Synthetic Diesel Oil and I change the hydro fluid every 100 hours. Oil and filters are inexpensive and the oil change couldn't be any easier on this tractor. I think it takes a 10 mm wrench, a gallon milk jug to catch the oil from the factory drain tube and a band style oil filter wrench to change the oil in the Yanmar. Seriously, it can be done in about 5 minutes or less very easily. The hydro fluid requires you to get under the tractor but it still is extremely easy.

Reactions: bearfoot

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
but I have three areas that my 345 would not go up and the back tire would spin causing yard divots.
Would this occur while using the rear "Traction Lock"? It shouldn't, if it did slip it would spin BOTH rear wheels.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Would this occur while using the rear "Traction Lock"? It shouldn't, if it did slip it would spin BOTH rear wheels.
I don't know about all 345's but mine didn't have diff lock.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts