Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello everyone

I am new here and hope I'm posting in the right category. with that being said here is the problem.

My front left tire keeps falling off. The snap ring on the spindle shaft keeps popping off. When it first happened about a year or so ago I tore the hub down and saw from years of use the gears inside the hub had broken teeth on them. We decided to replace all bearings and bushings as well as the gears. Thought all was well but it fell off again. I figured out I forgot to put a bearing back in. I thought I did everything right the last time, but was proven wrong when about two weeks ago it fell off while my dad was using it.

Is this a problem that other people have came across or am I just unlucky and have an issue that goes past the hub and into the Front DIff

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Mines a 955...probly the same front axel though.

I've replaced the gears ( look like spider gears from a rear differential).

This was on 1 side only ...I forget which.
Probly drivers side as its the one that spins when things get out of whack.
Typicly the passenger side is doing the work from what I see from the seat.

Had the dealer do this along with the seals...price was cheap by todays standards.
This was at least 10 yrs ago and around 500 bucks iirc.

Someone will likely post a parts diagram for you shortly.

How did you forget a bearing:munch:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot the bearing between the tear down to the replacement was a couple of months and a few military drills in between. Just one of those things that happen. Been turning wrench’s since I was knee high to a grass hopper and been doing it full time for the past 17 years.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
How often do you use the tractor with 4WD engaged? :dunno:

Put it all together again,, then use it with only 2WD,, except for the instant the tractor is stuck,
then only engage the 4WD for the 10 seconds needed to free the tractor.

I have seen neighbors that had similar damage from using 4WD on dry soil,,,

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We used it mainly when using the front end loader going into a pile, when we would get in a bind in a wet spot in a field, or when we had our disk hooked to it in the garden because it would bog the tractor down in loose soil. Other than that it stays in two wheel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The disc won’t go back on that tractor any more since we picked up a 1988 Ford 3910 50 horse tractor that is in great working shape

·
Registered
58 Posts
:usa

Howdy Brother-In-Arms.... :bigthumb:
Check the spindle. See if the Groove that holds the Snap Ring in is in good shape. :captain: If it's worn/round out, then the Ring won't seat far enough down to lock into place. It will keep popping out. :danger:
There should also be some sort of Spacer that fits between the Snap Ring and Bearing to separate the two.... :bash: Also... check to see if the Ring is the correct one. If you bought the tractor used, chances could be some "Farm Mech Monkey" slapped one in that "Looks Close"..... :hornets:

I don't have a Parts Breakdown Diagram handy to see for sure, I'll try to find one :read You may just have to get a new spindle. :scared:

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
58 Posts
So.... Found parts diagram for JD 790 at Deere.... :read

Not sure what Breakdown you need... Front axle diagram ST562535... might be ??? :dunno:

Check here to get into the diagrams.... :eating:

John Deere Parts Catalog

John Deere Parts Catalog

P.M. me if you got any more Questions.... :eek:hmy: or at least give me Reference to what "ST" you are using and part #.... we'll go from there.... :hi:

Reactions: rtgt and Gizmo2

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Just tore down my 790 hub

So.... Found parts diagram for JD 790 at Deere.... :read

Not sure what Breakdown you need... Front axle diagram ST562535... might be ??? :dunno:

Check here to get into the diagrams.... :eating:

John Deere Parts Catalog

John Deere Parts Catalog

P.M. me if you got any more Questions.... :eek:hmy: or at least give me Reference to what "ST" you are using and part #.... we'll go from there.... :hi:
I replaced a seal in my 790 last weekend. It's just a snap ring holding things together and if you don't get everything back exactly right, that snap ring won't fully engage. Then it's friction on the gear and bearing keeping it together which probably will work for a while.

Here is the procedure:
Front axle breakdown.JPG

Treefarmer

Reactions: 2018JD and rtgt

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hooray Treefarmer.... :thumbup1gif:
Good thing you happened along. :pickup: Just what was needed. :clapping:

Reactions: Treefarmer

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
Posting is the easy part. . .

Hooray Treefarmer.... :thumbup1gif:
Good thing you happened along. :pickup: Just what was needed. :clapping:
It's not a bad repair unless you have to replace the gears. That's obviously more trouble. When I replaced the snap ring the first time, it wouldn't seat completely and I had to get seal, sleeve etc. adjusted for the ring to completely seat. Honestly, I guess it works but I think that part of the assembly could be a bit more robust.

Treefarmer

1 - 11 of 11 Posts