Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for recommendations on a spreader. I've been quoted by a JD dealer for a Frontier poly cone PTO bin while others are telling me a Herd 550 or 5.5 is the way to go. Other farmers tell me a 300$-500$ fertilizer, seed spreader will do a good job for the cost/life expectancy.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to spend the 1700$ if I don't have to, but want real advice from people not trying to sell me something or people who have enough money to buy 2-4 cheap spreaders every couple years.

I've got a '05 790 with a 419 loader and bucket. Since I plow with the bucket, my preference is to have a PTO vs. towable spreader. Thanks in advance,

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
471 Posts
Reactions: em14 and BigJim55

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have a poly KingKutter and it appears to be well built. Just doing a google search and looking at the Frontier vs Rural King vs the King Kutter there doesn't seem to be much difference in any of them, I'd go with which ever was the best priced and closest to you.

If spreading something corrosive you may want to consider the KK as it has a stainless spinner, not sure of the others.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a poly KingKutter and it appears to be well built. Just doing a google search and looking at the Frontier vs Rural King vs the King Kutter there doesn't seem to be much difference in any of them, I'd go with which ever was the best priced and closest to you.

If spreading something corrosive you may want to consider the KK as it has a stainless spinner, not sure of the others.
I do like some of the hoppers have spinner arms that extend up into the bucket, sort of like an auger.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I run an electric Buyers unit that has an auger that goes up into the hopper as well as a stainless spinner. Works great for spreading sand and rock salt, but anticipate replacing the electric motor every 2-3 years if using straight salt. It inserts into my Heavy Hitch and then I have a dual wire plug that it's connected to. I run it off a rocker switch on the dash.
IMAG0204 (1).jpg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run an electric Buyers unit that has an auger that goes up into the hopper as well as a stainless spinner. Works great for spreading sand and rock salt, but anticipate replacing the electric motor every 2-3 years if using straight salt. It inserts into my Heavy Hitch and then I have a dual wire plug that it's connected to. I run it off a rocker switch on the dash.
View attachment 292906
That's a nice setup with the plow. How was wiring that in? DIY rocker install? Can you control the swath or how wide the spreader drops material?

Since my tractor is diesel, cold/winter starts are a concern esp if I'm running an accessory like a spreader. Do you monitor the battery amperage at all?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Install was pretty simple, I put the rocker switch in the cutout for the power deck lift switch on the left lower side dash, then brought a hot wire straight from the battery using a fused circuit. I used a sheathed 2 wire 12 gauge and ran it under the floor board to the rear of the tractor. I just coil it up in the summer and zip tie it under my toolbox when not in use. My 1026R is diesel as well and I've never had an issue with voltage or battery drain. I like the electric unit because I can "pulse" the spreader to control how far I want to throw the material. I would go through 2 times the amount of salt if I just turned the unit on and left it on down the drive and it would also kill the grass in the spring putting too much on. I've been running this set up for over 7 years and have run over 5 tons of salt through it. Beware, using rock salt or any of the corrosive deicers can and will completely rust out the back of your tractor in time. I spray a special oil all over the back of my tractor and spreader about 2-3 times throughout the season to help protect it from rusting.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Install was pretty simple, I put the rocker switch in the cutout for the power deck lift switch on the left lower side dash, then brought a hot wire straight from the battery using a fused circuit. I used a sheathed 2 wire 12 gauge and ran it under the floor board to the rear of the tractor. I just coil it up in the summer and zip tie it under my toolbox when not in use. My 1026R is diesel as well and I've never had an issue with voltage or battery drain. I like the electric unit because I can "pulse" the spreader to control how far I want to throw the material. I would go through 2 times the amount of salt if I just turned the unit on and left it on down the drive and it would also kill the grass in the spring putting too much on. I've been running this set up for over 7 years and have run over 5 tons of salt through it. Beware, using rock salt or any of the corrosive deicers can and will completely rust out the back of your tractor in time. I spray a special oil all over the back of my tractor and spreader about 2-3 times throughout the season to help protect it from rusting.
Electric controls sound a lot nicer than some of the manual levers for pto driven spreaders look... I might not have a precut rocker switch panel but I'm all for diy. Thanks for idea and sharing details

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
I went with the Meyer BL240. Electronic control, 8 speeds, comes with 2" receiver mount, very easy to install. I just used heavy duty Velcro to mount control on left fender,easy to remove if I want to come spring. It has a guard to keep salt off tractor, I've only used twice but see no salt on tractor. Before my I park it I use a long tipped blow gun aand blow salt off the spinner. With multiple speeds you can put the salt where you want to I found speed 3 throws it the width of my drive. Holds 240lbs at once with rock salt never had jams. The salt I bought has a blue tint so you can see where it goes. Cost between $750-900 depending when you buy it. Like I say I have only used it twice but it does a super job, there is no ice or snow in my whole yard. (Maybe the 55 degrees last week had something to do with that)

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went with the Meyer BL240. Electronic control, 8 speeds, comes with 2" receiver mount, very easy to install. I just used heavy duty Velcro to mount control on left fender,easy to remove if I want to come spring. It has a guard to keep salt off tractor, I've only used twice but see no salt on tractor. Before my I park it I use a long tipped blow gun aand blow salt off the spinner. With multiple speeds you can put the salt where you want to I found speed 3 throws it the width of my drive. Holds 240lbs at once with rock salt never had jams. The salt I bought has a blue tint so you can see where it goes. Cost between $750-900 depending when you buy it. Like I say I have only used it twice but it does a super job, there is no ice or snow in my whole yard. (Maybe the 55 degrees last week had something to do with that)
Have you used sand at all? The only hitch/3pt I've found that mfg says can do sand is a Boss or SnowEX. So I'm back to where I started, get a salt spreader and use sand or pay 1600 for a pto driven wet spreader i.e. herd or from tier which the dealer is trying to sell me...

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
I installed Curtis fast cast 2000 on my X738 utilizing the 2" receiver and a custom hanger I made. The curtis comes with a variable speed controler and I also added a vibrator for sand use.. It works great and its 14 years old. No motor issues and it is electric. The SS spinner and sleeve has no sign of rust at all. The controller will let you know if there is an issue such as a stuck stone in the auger.. I have been very happy with my sander.. I have it wired into a fuse block inside my cab and the vibrator is plugged into my 12 volt receptacle and dash switch, simple stuff and it takes me all of 10 minutes to put it on and less to take it off.. I did pay $1,200.00 bucks for it though but it will last me a lifetime.. It certainly has paid for itself with my driveway!
View attachment 293570 View attachment 293578

·
Premium Member
2,743 Posts
Have you used sand at all? The only hitch/3pt I've found that mfg says can do sand is a Boss or SnowEX. So I'm back to where I started, get a salt spreader and use sand or pay 1600 for a pto driven wet spreader i.e. herd or from tier which the dealer is trying to sell me...

I have only used it twice and never used sand. I don't know why it wouldn't do it.

·
Premium Member
740 Posts

The King Kutter 3pt one is rated for sand and salt. Most of them use the same agitator/gearbox/fan assembly, and would bet they would all work fine. I would think you would want to be careful of using damp sand with the risk of having a frozen product.

From here:
222222.png

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I installed Curtis fast cast 2000 on my X738 utilizing the 2" receiver and a custom hanger I made. The curtis comes with a variable speed controler and I also added a vibrator for sand use.. It works great and its 14 years old. No motor issues and it is electric. The SS spinner and sleeve has no sign of rust at all. The controller will let you know if there is an issue such as a stuck stone in the auger.. I have been very happy with my sander.. I have it wired into a fuse block inside my cab and the vibrator is plugged into my 12 volt receptacle and dash switch, simple stuff and it takes me all of 10 minutes to put it on and less to take it off.. I did pay $1,200.00 bucks for it though but it will last me a lifetime.. It certainly has paid for itself with my driveway!
View attachment 293570 View attachment 293578
Jeff, like your setup. I don't mind spending the money, I just want a 3rd party take (like you all) who have experience and are not getting commission if I buy something or not.

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)

·
Premium Member
4,443 Posts
Jeff, like your setup. I don't mind spending the money, I just want a 3rd party take (like you all) who have experience and are not getting commission if I buy something or not.

'05 JD 790 w/ 419 Loader
('95 BMW 325is)
Thanks, it works great and I do have a 1/4" screen that I made to lay on top so no stones can get into the sander to jam the auger.. I will say; any one of those poly-type sanders will work with sand, you just need the vibrator, (or the auger will just make a hole in the sand and no sand will fall into the auger).The curtis 2000 Holds about 330 pounds of sand. I think I paid 150 for the vibrator but again a long time ago. It will vibrate the sand even if damp with no problem and I use it just in spurts, and as you can see the Curtis has those vertical sides and they actually hold the sand where the bend starts so a vibrator is mandatory.. It will spread from about 4 feet to 25 feet easily with the speed control. It sure beats spreading by hand! I have about 5 yards of sand in my garage so it's pretty dry and flows pretty good.
Mandatory; easy connection to the tractor, electric speed control, vibrator, Stainless steel sleeve, and guaranteed motor... Mine runs on 13 amps...12 volts Vinrator 10 amps 12 voltrs Good luck Jeff

1 - 16 of 16 Posts