Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

New to the forum and tractors. I am looking to purchase a compact tractor for residential use only. Someone in my area has a model 80 with 2200 hrs. n I didnt look at it yet. Can someone help me with what to look out for when I go to see this?

Not sure if this is a good tractor. I cant afford to spend more than $10k. He originally wanted $9500 and quickly dropped the price to $7k. Not sure why but I find it suspicious. It looks like in good shape from the pics.

I cant really buy much for this low of a price. It doesnt come with a backhoe. Not sure how much that would cost.

Any help I would really appreciate it.

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
John Deere 1990 3 cylinder diesel. Standard. 2200 hours model 80

Hello,

Not sure if this is best spot to post this.

New to the forum and tractors. I am looking to purchase a compact tractor for residential use only. Someone in my area has a model 80 with 2200 hrs. n I didnt look at it yet. Can someone help me with what to look out for when I go to see this?

Not sure if this is a good tractor. I cant afford to spend more than $10k. He originally wanted $9500 and quickly dropped the price to $7k. Not sure why but I find it suspicious. It looks like in good shape from the pics.

I cant really buy much for this low of a price. It doesnt come with a backhoe. Not sure how much that would cost.

Any help I would really appreciate it.

Dean

Attachments

·
Registered
737 Posts
Bravo, First, identify the Model. I believe 80 is the model of the bucket. From what I can make out from the pics, it's an 850 tractor. VERIFY! 3 cylinder Yanmar with 2200 hours isn't too bad...usually "good" for about 9000 hours with regular maintenance. Before anyone goes anywhere, we'll need the tractor model #. Bob

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Looks like possibly an 870 from hood decal. I would do some searching around your area. I think you could do much better than that tractor if you're willing to spend 10 grand.

:gtfam:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
it's an 870 with a model 80 loader. i don't know if that's a good deal but I think it's a good tractor.

I would say you'd have to look the machine over well and if possible bring along someone who knows tractors to look for any signs of abuse or serious problems.

·
Registered
71 Posts
What you have there is a model 970 with a model 80 front end loader. Start with a quick google search for “John Deere 970 for sale” and quite a few sites will come up to get you started for a price check.

2018 - 1025R
120R, 54SB, iMatch, BB5060L, RB5060L, AP10F
2018 Z930M

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bravo, First, identify the Model. I believe 80 is the model of the bucket. From what I can make out from the pics, it's an 850 tractor. VERIFY! 3 cylinder Yanmar with 2200 hours isn't too bad...usually "good" for about 9000 hours with regular maintenance. Before anyone goes anywhere, we'll need the tractor model #. Bob
Hi Bob thank your for responding.

It is a model 870

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Looks like possibly an 870 from hood decal. I would do some searching around your area. I think you could do much better than that tractor if you're willing to spend 10 grand.

:gtfam:
It is a model 870. I cant seem to find anything around this area in that price range. There are smaller, newer tractors in the $14k-$18k range. This seems like a good deal, especially he is willing to go lower with the price.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Yanmar John Deeres made in those years with a gear transmission = bulletproof and more rugged that new machines. Just not as ergonomic or versatile for loader work as a hydrostatic tractor.

If you like the functionality and it's on good shape, i would not hesitate.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yanmar John Deeres made in those years with a gear transmission = bulletproof and more rugged that new machines. Just not as ergonomic or versatile for loader work as a hydrostatic tractor.

If you like the functionality and it's on good shape, i would not hesitate.
it seems in good shape. I am going this weekend to take a look at it. He is the original owner and kept up with all of the maintenance. I think I can get him down lower with the price. Thank you

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it seems in good shape. I am going this weekend to take a look at it. He is the original owner and kept up with all of the maintenance. I think I can get him down lower with the price. Thank you
any problem getting parts? Not sure how difficult it is to get a used backhoe?

·
Super Moderator
5,536 Posts
Bravo, you shouldn't have any problem with parts, especially if you're in need of new ones. JD parts website is the place!:thumbup1gif:

JDParts: Homepage

·
Registered
61 Posts
I hope you found the one that only went to church on Sunday and to the grocery on Wednesday. Do not recall the model but some of those little Deeres had problems with gears in the front 4WD spindles. The set up was changed and replacement parts are no longer made. You have to up grade.
Bone yards knew the deal and would not sell small parts. They would let the whole spindle assy go for about $3900 ( just one side ).
Do not know if that was the same model just trying to give a heads up. Other than that it was a great tractor.

·
Administrator
17,963 Posts
I edited the title, that should help get responses.

A used backhoe, if you can find one, will be about $5000 or so, they don't go cheap. If you need a TLB (tractor-loader-backhoe) machine, I'd suggest you keep looking till you find a complete package for sale.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I hope you found the one that only went to church on Sunday and to the grocery on Wednesday. Do not recall the model but some of those little Deeres had problems with gears in the front 4WD spindles. The set up was changed and replacement parts are no longer made. You have to up grade.
Bone yards knew the deal and would not sell small parts. They would let the whole spindle assy go for about $3900 ( just one side ).
Do not know if that was the same model just trying to give a heads up. Other than that it was a great tractor.
I'd be interested to know which models had issues with spindle gears. There were some SCUTs that issues with the spindles related to the bushings but i think those were later models (90's or 2000's)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts