Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Glad I found this forum...wow!

I have an 870 JD with a frontier snowblower that used to belong to my father, now to me. I had thought this when he owned it, but wanted to get some input before the snow flies here soon. The snowblower works, but I feel as though it's not turning or throwing the snow as fast or far as it should. Also, when the snow seems to not get eaten up as fast as I think it would. I don't see any gear changes on the rear PTO, so I'm assuming this is just the rpms it runs at. I'm not running it with not enough throttle either I don't believe. Thoughts? I just feel the snowblower itself should be chugging through it better than it does.

Thanks for any input.

Regards,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
5,214 Posts
First off, :wgtt:

Which Frontier snowblower are we talking about here? Got a model number? Is this a front mounted or rear mounted blower? (I'm guessing rear mounted but just to be sure...)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First off, :wgtt:

Which Frontier snowblower are we talking about here? Got a model number? Is this a front mounted or rear mounted blower? (I'm guessing rear mounted but just to be sure...)
SB1154, rear mount. Sorry for not putting that in their.

·
Administrator
18,343 Posts
Welcome to GTT,
If it's rear mounted blower on the 3PH, then the rear PTO needs to turn are 540 RPM, there should be a yellow indicator on the tach for this-probably around 2500ish. If you are running there, then you can check the fan blade clearance, if to much it won't throw very well.

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to GTT,
If it's rear mounted blower on the 3PH, then the rear PTO needs to turn are 540 RPM, there should be a yellow indicator on the tach for this-probably around 2500ish. If you are running there, then you can check the fan blade clearance, if to much it won't throw very well.
Affirmative. I do run it at 2500 when throwing snow. What do you mean by 'fan blade clearance'?

·
Administrator
18,343 Posts
The "fan" is the second stage, check the clearance between it and the housing. Also, if the PTO shaft has a "slip clutch" on it (optional) it could be slipping if adjusted to loose. Post some pictures and we can help ID exactly what you have.

9688.jpg

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IMG_2031.JPG IMG_2036.JPG

The distance from the edge of the casing is about 1/4" seems pretty tight.

The slip clutch I did read about in the manual, but I'm can't say I know for sure ours has it. I'll check today bringing over the manual to the tractor.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts