Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi fellas,

I am going to be a new owner of a 83 JD 950 tractor here this weekend. I am getting an incredible deal on it as it needs a little hydro work, tire tubes and so on. We are buying the tractor specifically for mowing large acreage and the fact its in our price range. The motor has about 1700 hours and runs solid. It has a 75 series loader on it and turf tires. Some day I’d like to get a set of ag tires on there, but for now the turfs will be fine for mowing till I can afford a set. I actually do not even know what they run for a set of rears, or where to get the best deal but that is down the road.

Here is the deal with the hydraulics. He said this past winter the bucket started to operate intermittently, and now does not at all. This past weekend he went down and tried to use the 3 point. It was sporatic as well. It would go up, stop, and he would have to wait a while to get it to go up again until it did not go up anymore but was not at max travel, more so half travel. Besides replacing the hydro pump, what else should I dig into? My first intuition tells me to drain the entire fluid system and replace all fluids and filters. If it has moisture, or needs to be purged of air I will have to address that as well. Is there a specific way to drain fluid and flush? I figured there would be a plug down on the diff?? There supposedly is a screen down in the diff I should also clean off and plan to do so. I am unsure if it has a remote filter or not, as I have not even picked it up. I’d like to add one in if at all possible.

Any help would be much appreciated. I understand hydraulic systems fairly well, but being a new tractor, I’m sure it has its own unique design to it, in which many of you are very familiar with.

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
Welcome,
Yes, there is a spin on filter, as well as a screen/strainer that can be cleaned. There will be at least one plug, sometimes there is 3 on some machines to help drain the final drives also. The air is self-purging so no worries there. Can't really give more advice till you assess the fluid condition. A JD dealer can order a owners and technical manual, both would be advantageous to have.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome,
Yes, there is a spin on filter, as well as a screen/strainer that can be cleaned. There will be at least one plug, sometimes there is 3 on some machines to help drain the final drives also. The air is self-purging so no worries there. Can't really give more advice till you assess the fluid condition. A JD dealer can order a owners and technical manual, both would be advantageous to have.
Thank you. I will report back once I get it home. I plan to drain the fluid from the entire system and replace filters, refill after cleaning the screen and see where that gets us. I'm not sur how to get to that screen but hope I can figure it out at a high level view.

I plan to get the service manual. I am hoping to find it on the net because I am not paying 300$ from JD for it.... that's worse than a service manual for a new diesel pickup!

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
The CD's are usually about $75, Ill try to remember to look later for you.

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts

·
Administrator
23,184 Posts
Sorry to hi-jack this thread, but does Green Farm Parts have parts for the 3039R's? I cannot seem to find it on their website.
Yes. They are a full line dealer, they sell any John Deere parts.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome,
I wanted to reply back and say thank you. I actually got lucky and have a friend with a 1050 who had the full service manual. In regards to the hydraulics. I drained the system and pulled the cannister filter. The screen was completely packed. Took a bit to clean it out with gas, but she is good to go now. Refilled with Low viscosity Hygard and we have full working Hydro again. The loader only operates with the 3 point all the way up. I asked the PO if this was correct and he said it had always been that way. No harm caused here correct? He said its been that way for 10 years. Its a 75 loader with the valve set mounted to the post.

I do not have a spin on canister filter at all. I believe they had to have MWFD or power steering to be included. Power Steering is something I would like to add, but if its expensive even off a scrapped 950/1050 then I might forget it it. Either way I sure wish I did have that cannister filet to replace rather than draining the entire system.

Either way I'm glad to have it all working. I have plugged a couple fuel filter full of mucas like goo. I thought it was water, but being a diesel mechanic I have never seen water do this. it was just garbage and chit that accumulated in the bottom of the tank over 5 years of not being used much, and once there were 8 gallons in there it pushed out. I wish I would have rinsed it prior to filling but did not know of the problem at the time since it ran great. Considering trying to find an up stream larger capacity drainable filter bowl to add in. Pulling the fuel lines and purging any goo or air did the trick both times. I'm hoping that is it.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
Welcome to the LCUT forum. I hope you get all the bugs worked out of your tractor, looks like you're well on your way. Too bad the previous owner wasn't a little more on the ball with timely maintenance and a little TLC. Even a front to back filter/fluid change and screen cleaning on an annual basis regardless of hours would nip quite a few of those problems in the bud, so to speak.
Good luck with your machine. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Welcome to the LCUT forum. I hope you get all the bugs worked out of your tractor, looks like you're well on your way. Too bad the previous owner wasn't a little more on the ball with timely maintenance and a little TLC. Even a front to back filter/fluid change and screen cleaning on an annual basis regardless of hours would nip quite a few of those problems in the bud, so to speak.
Good luck with your machine. Keep us posted.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.