Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a JD 950 that has sheared 2 of the 4 bolts holding the add on power steering tie rod bracket to the block. The sheared bolts are both on the left side of the machine, lower part of engine block. I am having a heck of a time getting them out and it seems like I may have to drill them and slightly oversize to next bolt size. Does anyone have any better advice?

·
Premium Member
12,955 Posts
I have a JD 950 that has sheared 2 of the 4 bolts holding the add on power steering tie rod bracket to the block. The sheared bolts are both on the left side of the machine, lower part of engine block. I am having a heck of a time getting them out and it seems like I may have to drill them and slightly oversize to next bolt size. Does anyone have any better advice?
Can you take a couple of pictures of what you are seeing and dealing with and post them? That would be helpful for further advice so we know exactly what you are dealing with..........

By the way. Welcome to GTT..........

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
Drill and extract the broken bolts. Try to be accurate so as not to have to go oversize for a larger diameter bolt or Helicoil. Drilling out an engine or frame casting can be a source for concern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: em14 and Tomfive

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can you take a couple of pictures of what you are seeing and dealing with and post them? That would be helpful for further advice so we know exactly what you are dealing with..........

By the way. Welcome to GTT..........
Thanks, I will take a couple of pics this evening and post.

·
Administrator
20,998 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,042 Posts
quite often the heat and friction from drilling.........
So what’s on your mind lately Ken??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Kennyd

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had one of those bolt loosen and strip, but I was able to retap and use the hole again. But I contemplated welding the bracket back on. You might consider something similar, and just abandon those bolts and holes. You weld would be to the flat bar, and not to the block

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Soak the broken bolts well with a good penetrating oil like AeroKroil (maybe even PB Blaster) and NOT WD-40 (doesn't work), before trying the left hand drilling or extractor.

You may have to soak, wait, soak again, wait until it gets in as far as you can. Maybe do the soak wait cycle over a day. Even add a few raps with a punch and small hammer too while soaking and waiting.

Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had one of those bolt loosen and strip, but I was able to retap and use the hole again. But I contemplated welding the bracket back on. You might consider something similar, and just abandon those bolts and holes. You weld would be to the flat bar, and not to the block
My next thought was to weld it to the flat bar. I thought I would see if anyone had any ideas that I had not tried.

Thanks

·
Registered
234 Posts
That plate still needs to be secured to the block. Welding the bracket on will not secure everything to the block. If that plate is not secured to the block the hydraulic cylinder will pull the mounting plate away from the block and he will be back where he started. I don't think the remaining two bolts will secure that plate to the block well enough for the amount of force that the power steering cylinder will put on it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts