Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with getting my 950 to start. When I turn the key, I just get a click from what I think is the voltage regulator and no turning of the starter. I have replaced the ignition switch, checked connections and searched for broken wires, etc. I don't know where to turn, as I have had this tractor for about 4 years and had no problem like this before. Looking for help with ideas on what to do next. Oh, I did try to jump the starter and could not get anything then either. Thanks

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
You might want to give the starter a medium whack with a rubber mallet and try to start it again. Sometimes a bit of rust will keep the starter gear from engaging the teeth on the flywheel.

Reactions: Toughsox and Yank

·
Registered
168 Posts
If Im not mistaken (Im, old, I could be) piggybacked on the starter motor (you may know this- apologies if so) is the starter solenoid- its jobs are to 1. pull a plunger in that engages the starter gear into the flywheel ring gear AND THEN 2. close a set of heavy contacts that connects the starter motor directly to the battery. Wear, corrosion or misalignment of these contacts (they usually resemble a washer and two heavy stud contacts) will fail to close the motor circuit - motor no run but the solenoid clicks. There are rebuild kits for most solenoid switches short of a full starter R&R.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Check the ground from the battery to the frame, these things can cause all kinds of problems.
Make sure it's clean and tight.

Reactions: Jeff B

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Oh Lord this brings back memorys...

Fought this issue with one of our 955's till it finally exited the premisis.

Heres what we did to start it.

Get yourself a hefty chunck of wire...whatever 12 G ish. about a foot long.

When it... " clicks".
Pull the small wire from starter..it just plugs in ..the tiny one.

Take your new "friend" /wire.....hold one end on Hot post of starter

THEN

take other end and stick in hole where Tiny wire was connected to starter.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MINE IS A HYDRO TRANNY yours is a STICK

Be Sure its in NEUTRAL
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you do this while Key is on...tractor will start.:cheers:

Sometimes it just needs a "bump" ( key off) and you can RE connect small wire and it will start as normal.

JD dealer could never fix this for us..We Begged them to replace ignition switch and they refused..said they never go bad:banghead:

Checked the grounds @ motor mounts.. nothing ever fixed it.

Possible starter issue to the tune of $450 bucks..Yea I passed on that...1 foot of wire ..bent in a circle..stored under hood around fuel cap.

Always got it going... Usually after the first start and warmed up it would start every time as normal.

It was a intermitten issue with no rhyme or reason...reminds me of another issue..:flag_of_truce:

My story...yours may differ...it was a cheap easy fix for a pita situation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And Yes ...these tractors are very insitant on Clean Battery connections.

Like Nothing I've ever dealt with before.

If you think its clean...scrape it again till shiney lead is showing.

Get the Red battery grease/spray whatever once you are sure both battery wire and bat terminal are Clean.
Goop it up.

Good luck & post your fix please...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You might want to give the starter a medium whack with a rubber mallet and try to start it again. Sometimes a bit of rust will keep the starter gear from engaging the teeth on the flywheel.
Thanks- I tried that and no luck.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions. I ordered a new voltage regulator yesterday. Don't know how that might affect starting, but mine had several wires broken and corroded. Tried splicing together, but still got the click and no starter turning. I'll try some of the other tips and see what works.

·
Registered
445 Posts
You better check your battery.

Try this, use another known good battery to jump the starter.

:munch:

Reactions: bobp999 and John R

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have a 650 as well. I have had issues with starting it, but usually it was just a weak battery or a loose connection at battery terminal. Checked all these on the 950 and no luck so far. Waiting for new voltage regulator to see if that makes a difference.:greentractorride::greentractorride:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
950 starter problems

Well, I messed with my JD 950 yesterday. I had gotten my new voltage regulator and almost got it installed, but due to the short wires and tightness of the area, one of the wires pulled loose from the new regulator. Arrrgh. I took it apart and the inside of the regulator was very different (solid state chip) and there seems to be no way to re-solder the wire. I really don't think that was the problem and since I had tried the jump wire trick suggested and it worked. I got the tractor started and then turned it off and reassembled everything with the old voltage regulator. I still had trouble getting the tractor started and really think the other suggestions to check and clean terminals and connections may really be the answer to my issue. I am getting a new cable for the positive terminal of the battery to the starter today and hope that may answer the question. I already bought a new battery, so we will see.
I did get the tractor started and mowed one of my fields yesterday, so things are looking up.
Thanks again for the help with ideas and suggestions.:greentractorride::usa

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Just a final update and thanks for the suggestions and help. After a lot of going back and forth, I followed the suggestions given and finally just replaced the positive battery cable with a new one. The old cable had been repaired with one of the clamp (bolt on) battery connections. I cleaned the terminals and all connections and when I got the new cable installed, NO MORE PROBLEMS. Thanks to all of you for your support and sharing your knowledge. Next time, I might be a little quicker to take your advice.
:bigthumb::bigthumb::greentractorride::usa:usa

·
Registered
161 Posts
Just a final update and thanks for the suggestions and help. After a lot of going back and forth, I followed the suggestions given and finally just replaced the positive battery cable with a new one. The old cable had been repaired with one of the clamp (bolt on) battery connections. I cleaned the terminals and all connections and when I got the new cable installed, NO MORE PROBLEMS. Thanks to all of you for your support and sharing your knowledge. Next time, I might be a little quicker to take your advice.
:bigthumb::bigthumb::greentractorride::usa:usa
It's fixed for now, hopefully you have no more problems.:yahoo:

Reactions: JD4044M
1 - 13 of 13 Posts