Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to figure out how to get the radiator neck off the top casting. Is it just pressed in or welded. Mine is starting to rot out.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I suspect it is just a press fit, compounded by rust, of course. With just a quick research on the A, I see there is more than one version of the filler neck. Unstyled, styled, and radiator differences where it fits inside or outside the cast neck of the tank. Could you post a couple pictures for those who may have experience with the R & R of the filler neck on different model A's? The tractor serial number range is important too. It's possible the late A's could have a coolant pump, but I don't know if they were pressurized like the number series.

My experience is limited to a late model, 1950 B, filler neck. This one was pressed over the outside of the radiator tank neck. I don't know if this photo will help, but there was a "turned out lip" on the bottom that allowed me to use a piece of flat stock to tap around it to drive it off. I may have eventually split it some and peeled it off, given the rust. Not sure why I focused on the rusted out cap without another shot of the filler neck it's self. When I installed the new one, I had given the tank top several coats of paint primer, and tapped the thing on before the last coat had dried. Thinking was, it might help seal it and keep it tight. Seems to still be OK.

rusty rad. cap.JPG

tommyhawk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ah, so it will come out. Mine is an late A the neck fits inside of the casting. Guess I'll start carefully trying to extract it.

·
Registered
392 Posts
This is the upper tank on my 1946 john deere A. I have done a couple of these and removed one with a slide hammer that threads into a pair of vise grips. The other I cut the top part off and folded the remaining ring in on itself to get it out. Then just clean up the opening and press the new one back in. I used some sealer on mine, but don't remember what type.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is the upper tank on my 1946 john deere A. I have done a couple of these and removed one with a slide hammer that threads into a pair of vise grips. The other I cut the top part off and folded the remaining ring in on itself to get it out. Then just clean up the opening and press the new one back in. I used some sealer on mine, but don't remember what type.
That is exactly what mine looks like. Holes and all

1 - 6 of 6 Posts