Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I restored a '48 JD B. Engine runs well, but can't get the clutch adjusted. I replaced the crankshaft, pulley, clutch fork, bolts, and dogs with OK used parts, and used new clutch facings and drive disk. I set the crankshaft end-play to .008 with clutch installed, and proceeded to adjust the springs. After many trials and having the whole assembly off several times to check parts, I still can't get it adjusted. Either it's too loose that the clutch slips when it's in gear or it's too tight so that it doesn't completely disengage when I pull the lever back and brake the pulley. There has to be something straightforward wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. The lever never has the amount of snap that I think is OK. What could be the problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Clutch Problem Solved

I restored a '48 JD B. Engine runs well, but can't get the clutch adjusted. I replaced the crankshaft, pulley, clutch fork, bolts, and dogs with OK used parts, and used new clutch facings and drive disk. I set the crankshaft end-play to .008 with clutch installed, and proceeded to adjust the springs. After many trials and having the whole assembly off several times to check parts, I still can't get it adjusted. Either it's too loose that the clutch slips when it's in gear or it's too tight so that it doesn't completely disengage when I pull the lever back and brake the pulley. There has to be something straightforward wrong, but I can't figure out what it is. The lever never has the amount of snap that I think is OK. What could be the problem?

Solved the problem by adjusting the pulley brake to stop pulley as soon as it disengaged. I had it too loose, allowing it to re-engage.

·
Administrator
18,001 Posts
:wgtt:

Joe, sorry no one was able to help you, but I am glad you reported back with good news. We are still building our member base for the older stuff, so I am glad you joined and hope you stick around:thumbup1gif:

We would all love to see pictures of your B.

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
Welcome Joe!

Like Kenny said, we would love to see your B!:good2: I love the old Poppers. Glad to hear you got it fixed!:thumbup1gif:

We have a few members that are very knowledgeable here, but they haven't been around in a little bit. Perhaps you might be of some help and insight when I go to get my old 60 going again.:drinks:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts