Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be taking delivery of a JD 2032R the middle of April. I ordered a ballast box as part of the FEL package. On the Artillian Forks web site they advertise a ballast box trolley. In their picture they show a short JD ballast box.
Here's my question. Many of you have mentioned a JD ballast box w/ extension. Is the extended box a factory option, or is the short box being fabricated with an extension in the aftermarket?

Thanks, Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Deere sells an extension kit to bolt onto the standard Deere ballast box. I believe the part number is BW15074.

Since you are ordering everything new, your dealer can order a ballast box WITH extensions for you as an all-in-one kit as well. The part number for that is BW00488.

·
Super Moderator
5,616 Posts
The extension is a JD factory option.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is the standard JD ballast box really inadequate ballast to handle most general loader work? Dirt, gravel, etc.
Your thoughts please.
I would rather be safe than sorry!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
I use the standard box (no extensions) with my 2032R with no problems. I filled mine with 400# of pea gravel so between that and the box, it's probably about 500# total. (I also have my rear tires loaded).

If I was doing more heavy loader work I'd change out the gravel with concrete and add a little bit more weight. Deere recommends Fluid-filled rear tires and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast. and you can just about get that with concrete. If you want to get there with gravel/stone, you pretty much have to use the box extensions.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank You for the good information JimR. Not sure I want to go the rear fluid route to prevent ground rutting when mowing on softer ground.
I will be calling my JD dealer and ordering the box w/ extension kit. Hopefully that box filled as well as the weight of the iMatch hitch will be adequate to handle the 53" bucket.
Is Pea Gravel best fill recommendation? Don't want to go concrete route, want to stay with something removable.

Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
386 Posts
Not sure of the total weight you want back there but Heavy Hitch has a sixteen weight hitch that would give you up to 700 lbs of weight. That would be sixteen 42 pound weights plus the hitch. Since it uses the suitcase weights it is more expensive that the ballast box but I like that I can take it off by hand. I just used mine yesterday (I have a 1025R and eight weights) and had no problems.

https://heavyhitch.com/store/category-1-receiver-hitch-dual-suitcase-weights-bracket-3-point-hitch/

Reactions: Heavy Hitch

·
Registered
4,191 Posts
I have the JD ballast box and think it is a good fit for you without the extensions. I used it this way on my 1025R and it was plenty. I lined it with bricks and then put my 7 42# suitcase weights on top of that. Yesterday I installed the extensions on it as now I need more ballast on my 4066R. I have had the 4066R for over a year and have yet to use the ballast box as most of the time I have the 1500# rear finish mower on the tractor and that suffices. However, during the winter, I find that my 8ft hyd angle rear blade is lacking as a ballast and need to rectify the situation, hence the extensions. I have a couple of old 200# wheel weights to put in there plus some old brake rotors, bricks and the suitcase weights. I am thinking about dropping by the scrap metal place and see what I can scare up there. I have noticed when I use the loader (hitch receiver installed) to move my gooseneck trailer with 1500# tongue weight, I sometimes have to use 4 wheel drive as the rears do not have enough traction even with wheel weights installed and the rear blade on it, so I am getting the ballast box ready for use and needed the extensions for additional weight capacity.

Dave

Reactions: 5304

·
Super Moderator
5,281 Posts
Is Pea Gravel best fill recommendation? Don't want to go concrete route, want to stay with something removable.
I'd be hesitant to call it "the best". I used it because it was cheap and easy. (under $30 and 20 minutes of work)

You could also use scrap steel, standard barbell weights, car tire lead weights or almost anything to fill the box. If I had the time and equipment, I'd collect tire weights from local garages, melt them down and make ingots to stack in the box. Heavier materials that don't leave air space will get you more weight in the box. (so you might be able to get more sand in a box than pea gravel and more pea gravel that rip-rap, etc...)

If you have a scrap metal yard nearby you might be able to find plate steel to use too. It's really a matter of what you have access to and how much you're willing to spend.

Reactions: johnH123

·
Premium Member
12,997 Posts
I have a 2720 and use the ballast box with extension. I put small concrete bricks in mine and was able to get the recommended weight. While the contents are removable I'm not sure how much of an advantage that is. I mean, unless I was selling the box and needed to empty it for transport I can't foresee a situation where you would want to empty it. The extension gave me a place to put my chain box which itself weighs around 80 lbs.

Ballast_ext1.jpg E26R0224.jpg

Keep in mind that JD recommended loaded tires or wheel weights in addition to the ballast box. The loaded tires will stabilize the tractor, the ballast box off-loads the front axle. If you plan to use pallet forks JD recommends an additional 180 lbs above the normal recommends ~700 lbs.

It's all about being safe and not damaging your front end.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Per the manual if you intend to use the loader to max capacity...

REQUIRED MINIMUM BALLAST FOR 2320, 2520, 2720, 2025R, 2027R, 2032R, 4100, 4110, AND 4115 TRACTORS

1 Fluid-filled rear tires and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast2 OR
2 Three rear wheel weights per wheel and 350 kg (772 lb) of 3-Point Hitch Ballast

·
Premium Member
6,098 Posts
I added RR rails & receiver tube to the bottom of mine so it doesn't set on the ground & for weight: HPIM1260.JPG

It has enough scrap iron, including lead in it to bring it up over the 618# per manual on my 790. A galvanized tray (old grainery door) bolted in above the fill makes room for chains & tools.

I prefer loose fill over concrete in case changes want to be made in the future!

Reactions: BigJim55 and rtgt

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Reactions: Gizmo2

·
Banned
419 Posts
Easy balast box

Take a plastic barrel and put a bar through it so you 3 pt arms will line up. Then fill with concrete or stone( remember stone will always have air pockets) and mix a wet slutty of concrete and sand. Pour over the stone lay a old chain in the barrel and leave long enough to put a ring on the end to attach to your top link connection pin. with the barrel tipped backwards a little that will hold the barrel backwards a little Or you can use a piece or bar and bend to act as a top link does not have to be fancy. Very cheap and easy. You do not even have to drill the rod for lynch pins just tighten the arms in to the barrel.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I had my dealer order the optional extension for my 3270's ballast box. I don't know if there are different ballast box extension part numbers but mine was a very poor fit. It did not align properly and I had to shim it with several washers to get the matching holes on the two extension halves aligned. It wasn't a big deal but it did require a little more engineering and time than something that's supposed to be easy.

I'm having the crew pouring our concrete drive in the spring fill it up for me

Reactions: johnH123

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Take a plastic barrel and put a bar through it so you 3 pt arms will line up. Then fill with concrete or stone( remember stone will always have air pockets) and mix a wet slutty of concrete and sand. Pour over the stone lay a old chain in the barrel and leave long enough to put a ring on the end to attach to your top link connection pin. with the barrel tipped backwards a little that will hold the barrel backwards a little Or you can use a piece or bar and bend to act as a top link does not have to be fancy. Very cheap and easy. You do not even have to drill the rod for lynch pins just tighten the arms in to the barrel.
you mean slurry? :lol:

auto-correct fail

Reactions: 5304

·
Registered
332 Posts
Not sure of the total weight you want back there but Heavy Hitch has a sixteen weight hitch that would give you up to 700 lbs of weight. That would be sixteen 42 pound weights plus the hitch. Since it uses the suitcase weights it is more expensive that the ballast box but I like that I can take it off by hand. I just used mine yesterday (I have a 1025R and eight weights) and had no problems.

https://heavyhitch.com/store/category-1-receiver-hitch-dual-suitcase-weights-bracket-3-point-hitch/
You can actually run up to 16 70# weights for total of 1120#, not including the weight of the hitch itself.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts