Green Tractor Talk banner

JD Ballast versus Titan Ballast

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  forphase1 
#1 ·
I've got a 3025E with a D160 FEL and I use my bucket often and just got some pallet forks that I'm using more and more. I don't always have ballast/equipment on the back, so adding some ballast is a good idea from all the reading on here. I know in most cases they are just a 'box to hold weight' but there are a few options here and there. So far I'm deciding between a John Deere ballast that I've found about 45 minutes from me for $200. https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/675701869518978/?ref=messenger_banner My other option that I'm looking at right now is the one from Titan attachments that's currently about $275 with free shipping, however unless it's different than my pallet forks, I'll have to drive about 45 minutes to the hub to pick it up as the drop gate trucks can't get down my road. Both seem like they will do the 'job' of adding weight, however the Titan one honestly looks nicer with having a few extra features like the pallet fork pickups, the tool holder pocket and the hitch receiver. Titan Category 1 Ballast Box 3 Point Fits John Deere Tractors Has anyone used or have hands on with either model to help me decide which is the better option?

#2 ·
No brainer - buy the JD box from the person on FB. Get with your JD dealer and buy the "top extension" for it as well.

I know that it's "just a box", but the JD box will be built better. I know that there have been a couple people on there that have bought Titan ballast boxes and they've been disappointed in one way or another. (Disclaimer - I know there are also guys that have bought the Titan boxes and have been happy, but...) I can't recall anyone buying a JD box and being disappointed.

#3 ·
I'm going to follow up to my reply above. I clicked on your Titan link and the reasons for disappointment popped out at me. Look at the attachment pins on the Titans. I remember reading about crappy welds for those points and also remember someone that got one where those attachment points were misaligned.

Buy the Deere box. :good2:

Reactions: jdforever
#4 · (Edited)
I looked hard at the JD ballast box, which my dealer had in stock, would have cost me $325. The Titan Attachments box, same size, cost me $273, shipping was free. It's not as well-finished as the JD box, but as you say, it's just a box, and it is green. Within that context however, I opted for the Titan because of the features that were lacking on the JD...specifically the sliding door that allows emptying of the box, the welded-in tool holders, the built-in 2" inch receiver hitch, and the cut-in slots that allow lifting the box with forks. I've used every one of those features and would have missed them on the JD box. The pins all lined up perfectly and it mounts to my iMatch perfectly. It's had a lot of use, filled with pea-rock, and works great. No doubt the JD ballast box is better built, but it's just a box. I have no regrets. It would have been a tougher decision if I could have found a used John Deere box for $200, but I do appreciate the extra features of this Chinese Titan box.

I don't know about your rural area, but in my rural area that box was shipped by FedEx and came on the regular FedEx truck.

#5 · (Edited)
personally i like the fact the titan has a 2" reciever on it and the options MAC mentioned above........ you can buy a JD sticker to put on it ....

if your going to store it on a concrete floor the casters on the JD box would be nice ...but to me those would be very easy to add to the titan box

#6 ·
I got my Titan box a couple years ago and I saved money for sure. But 2 yrs ago is the same as today with Titan....it's a crap shoot as to what you get as far as 'fit n finish'. I got lucky with mine not having any damage, the pins being in the right position and adequate welds. I really couldn't care less if it came with some scuff marks in the paint. It's a freaking box. And delivery was done by Fed-Ex, not a truck line.

I filled mine with pea stone and thought the door would come in handy for getting the stone out of if/when I wanted to. Well....it's been in there from day one. Honestly, I now think of the door as a novelty. I bet most that have the Titan box have never used the door once they put in whatever they did for ballast. And now that I've experienced a ballast box, I wouldn't care if it had a door or not. If I wanted to dump the pea stone out, I can just push the box over using the loader, or hook it to the truck with a strap/chain and pull it over.

The fork pockets built into the bottom of the Titan box? Another novelty. Never used them. Thought I would but almost immediately I bought a 800# (maybe 1000#) furniture dolly from TSC. Set the BB on that, unhook it from the IMatch and roll the BB off to the side. Now, if you had an uneven floor in your barn/shed you might use the fork pockets. But, what are you going to use as rear ballast so you can pick up that ballast box that is full and weighs 400, 500, 600 or whatever pounds? I could put on my backhoe for rear ballast so I could pick up the BB, but with the furniture dolly I have no need to. Something to think about.

The tubes built into the compartment of the Titan for long handle tools is nice to have, but you can do that to any BB before you put the ballast in. They don't have to be welded in, or even made of metal. 3" or 4" PVC pipe works well too. Once you fill the box with stone or concrete, they're not going anywhere, especially concrete.

The hitch receiver, your call. I've never used it but also don't have a need to. I do know that mine is closed on the opposite end, therefore is a pain to get mud and dirt out of when you accidently back into a pile of dirt.

Honestly if we me, I'd scoop up the JD box you saw if it's in decent condition and still available. You'll save money. In the end, it's just a box.

#7 · (Edited)
I went with the Titan and it was delivered by fedex to my house, I just had to meet them to sign or give permission to leave. Fedex called a day ahead to schedule. So what I’m saying is don’t worry about the shipping, my UA pallet forks and frame also were delivered to my house. No need to pick up at a freight place.

I went Titan due to price and the added 2” receiver hitch mount. So if I was in your position I’d just get the JD since it’s cheaper.

#8 ·
I do have to worry about shipping. When my forks and frame were sent by FedEx, they couldn't deliver to my house since the drop gate truck can't get down my road. At least that's what I was told. My options, according to FedEx, was to meet them at a business with a loading dock, meet them somewhere close to my house where they could drop it on the ground or try to load onto trailer/truck from the back of their truck, or come to their place and they could load it for me. Again, the ballast box may be different as it's lighter, but I don't know. May call Titan tomorrow just to see how it ships. I'm leaning towards getting the JD, but having all the facts won't hurt either. Thanks!

Reactions: kylew
#9 ·
I have the JD box and also the extensions. Go for the JD.

Dave

Reactions: jdforever
#10 ·
$200 for a JD ballast box. No brainer. Just buy it! :gizmo:

#12 ·
That receiver tube is in the worst possible location....
I guess if you took a 12" drop hitch and mounted it upsidedown it might work.
The idea of ballast is keeping it low to the ground..not jacked up 18" ++ to hook a trailer to it besides the fact that you probly can't see the hitch due to the box height.

I don't see that as a bonus .

Otherwise its got potential and some other usefull features.

#13 ·
I agree that that 2" receiver hitch on that ballast box wouldn't be useful for a trailer and I would never have thought to use it for that. Personally, I use it for either LOTS of weight on my pine straw rake (which has a 2" receiver hitch), or plugging in the hitch carrier if I need tools, chemicals, additional weight, etc.

#16 ·
I am just going to throw this out there. Heavy Hitch with weights.

It doesn’t stick out as far. It will not drag the ground. The receiver can be used for many things.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.