Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read that the break-in period for the 5075M is 300 hours before you change the oil.

Also noted another M owner used his tractor less than 300 hours before having to "put it to bed" for the winter. At Spring start-up, he changed the oil and filter and filled the tractor with new break-in oil.

Never seen "break-in oil" at the dealer's...

What's the difference?

AKfish

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
My dealer carries break in oil and recommends it for the first 200 hours. I have an odd dealer that will tell you to change the oil and filter after the first 100 hours. I change mine in the first 50, but I go to the full syn JD 0w40.

Supposedly the oil has more additives to help things break in and deal with the extra heat.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, kenny and Brian. Appreciate the info and the links.

AKfish

·
Registered
40 Posts
break-in oil

I have a new 6330, and also noticed the info about running the break-in oil. My owners book says to leave that oil in for the first 100 hours, not 300 hours, then to change to the CJ-4 spec oil of my choice that compares to the JD brand CJ-4. I think I read, that if for some reason the crankcase had to be drained before the 100 hour point, to re-fill with break-in oil until a full 100 hours were attained. It stated that unless this was done, the engine might not properly "break-in". The break-in oil is sold at my JD dealer. I guess I would be hesitant to go 300 hours with that stuff, maybe you should re-check your manual on that, as mine states 100 hours.
I know a little about oil formulas, and I conclude that the break-in oil is probably a 'low additized" formula, that may allow for a bit more friction especially on cylinder walls and rings. The CJ-4 blends of all suppliers would be optimum lubrication, and perhaps not allow a proper seating and sealing process to occur, thus allowing for a bit of oil consumption as the tractor is used in hard service. I believe that John Deere has plenty of experience with all this kind of theory, and mention it in the manuals for good reason. Why sell break-in oil if it is not needed or helpful?
Since my tractor will not be used a lot of hours, I plan to change it at 50 hours, put on a new filter, and put a new charge of break in oil back in for the remaining 50 hours. Those few bucks for the extra oil is no big deal, I just don't want that original factory filled stuff in there for a full 100 hours since my uses of the machine are of short duration and infrequent, a lot of cold starts etc. I plan to use Chevron Delo 400 15W/40 in CJ-4 after the 100 hour period is fulfilled, and might even use the same in synthetic version, excellent stuff.
I believe that JD engineers have had experience in this break in period that they make all this fuss about the break in oil for a good reason. However, new Peterbilts and Kenworths are factory filled with CJ-4 Delo from the get go, and don't require any such break-in oil, I wish it were the same for your 5075 and my 6330. By refusing to follow their instruction, a guy would be heartsick if the tractor was an oil burner due to improperly broke in cylinder walls.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
That's a good plan, Bruce:good2:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks, Bruce. I plan to review the manual closely regarding the break-in hours.

The tractor won't likely be home much earlier than the 7th of June - that's not very much time left of summer up here!! I'd like to have at least 100 hours on her by winter and be able to switch over to JD 0W-40W synthetic. Really helps for those cold, winter start-ups!

However, I can't imagine that I'd have anywhere close to 300 hours by Nov. 1 - when I typically service all my rigs for winter.

So, that was the reason I posted the question... I might have to service the tractor and re-fill with JD break-in oil.

But, if it's really only 100 hours for break-in ; then there's a good chance I won't likely have an issue at all!

AKfish

·
Administrator
21,043 Posts
AK, According to the online manual: http://manuals.deere.com/omview/OMSJ10032_19/?tM=GC

It's NOT filled with break-in oil, but rather Plus-50:confused::cookoo:

Break-In Service

IMPORTANT: Keep wheel hardware tight for safety. Check wheel hardware torque before operating, twice during first ten hours of operation and thereafter every week/50 hours of operation.
For 5065M and 5075M: New engines are filled with John Deere Plus-50 ™ oil. If oil is required in first 300 hours, be sure to use John Deere Plus-50 ™ oil. Change oil and filter after first 300 hours of operation.
For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: New engines are filled with John Deere DIESEL ENGINE BREAK-IN OIL. If oil is required in first 100 hours, be sure to use BREAK-IN oil. Change oil and filter after first 100 hours of operation.
For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: If tractor is used under light load conditions during first 100 hours, refill with John Deere Break-In oil for an additional 100 hours to allow engine to break-in properly.
After first 100 hours of operation:

• For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: Replace engine oil after first 100 hours of operation. 1
  • Tighten Air Intake System and Cooling System Hose Clamps
  • Inspect Tractor for Loose Hardware
After first 300 hours of operation:

Plus-50 is a trademark of Deere & Company

1See DIESEL ENGINE OIL-5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML in Fuel, Lubricants and Coolant section for additional information.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well... I had things only a bit "[email protected]"! The 300 hours was correct but the break-in oil was wrong.

Now, it all makes perfect sense - not!

So, if I don't make it to 300 hours this season can I change out to Plus-50 synthetic? I haven't seen Plus-50 15w-40w lately - everything is now Plus-50 II 15w-40w.

I'm still confused...

AKfish

·
Registered
40 Posts
They must figure that the break in oil is needed for the larger engines. Seems like a bunch of baloney to me, but I will comply. Good luck with that neat little 5075, that baby will work for you doing anything that comes along. Sweet it will have 0W-40 oil too.

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Plus-50 and Plus-50 II are fully compatable oils if they are the same weight. IMHO, at your oil change at 100 hours, you can go to 0-40 or 15-40 and not worry about a thing.:good2:

·
Registered
36 Posts
AK, According to the online manual: OMSJ10032

It's NOT filled with break-in oil, but rather Plus-50:confused::cookoo:

Break-In Service

IMPORTANT: Keep wheel hardware tight for safety. Check wheel hardware torque before operating, twice during first ten hours of operation and thereafter every week/50 hours of operation.
For 5065M and 5075M: New engines are filled with John Deere Plus-50 ™ oil. If oil is required in first 300 hours, be sure to use John Deere Plus-50 ™ oil. Change oil and filter after first 300 hours of operation.
For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: New engines are filled with John Deere DIESEL ENGINE BREAK-IN OIL. If oil is required in first 100 hours, be sure to use BREAK-IN oil. Change oil and filter after first 100 hours of operation.
For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: If tractor is used under light load conditions during first 100 hours, refill with John Deere Break-In oil for an additional 100 hours to allow engine to break-in properly.
After first 100 hours of operation:

• For 5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML: Replace engine oil after first 100 hours of operation. 1
  • Tighten Air Intake System and Cooling System Hose Clamps
  • Inspect Tractor for Loose Hardware
After first 300 hours of operation:

Plus-50 is a trademark of Deere & Company

1See DIESEL ENGINE OIL-5085M, 5095M, 5095MH, 5105M and 5105ML in Fuel, Lubricants and Coolant section for additional information.
Hmmm....my 5055E manual states the engine is factory filled with the Break-In plus oil. :dunno:

Rather odd that such similar engines would be filled some with break-in oil and some not.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts