Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 3720 with a 59" front snowblower. The snowblower's A-frame is mounted to the front quick hitch with a threaded retaining rod, retaining plate and large wing nut on top. On the bottom is a lynch pin and cotter pin. I presume this arrangement is meant to allow for quick removal but I keep the snowblower mounted throughout the winter.

I find the top wing nut is frequently becoming loose and I'm continuously tightening it down by hand. After using the snowblower today, I returned the tractor to the barn and stumbled across the lower lynch pin laying in the driveway. The end of the pin was bent down and in the closed (locked) position. It's lucky I found this before the snow blower came off the front hitch (maybe the cotter pin is the last line of defense).

This seems like an inferior design and I'm considering replacing the wing nut with a traditional nut I can tighten down with a wrench. Perhaps blue thread locker is another option. Has anyone else had this issue and made a modification?

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
A picture would help. Not knowing if you have the room you can see if putting a second nut on there and then tightening against that nut and see if helps. If there is no room for a second nut, I apologize in advance. Since you leave it on all winter you could drill a hole in the wing nut and the threaded rod and safety wire it. That is what the aviation industry does as a safety measure but maybe more trouble than it is worth. Thread locker should help and might be the preferred solution. Another possible solution is using a nylon lock nut. They tend to be one time use only so you would need a supply of them you if you do take it on/off throughout the season. Good luck and stay warm!:greentractorride:

Reactions: rod330

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
It's a common problem. I've experienced the wingnut loosening up and another member has as well. Recommend replacing the lower hitch pin with a 3/8" bolt and locknut. You can also install a cotter pin at the wingnut to to prevent it from loosening and falling out.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
A picture would help. Not knowing if you have the room you can see if putting a second nut on there and then tightening against that nut and see if helps. If there is no room for a second nut, I apologize in advance. Since you leave it on all winter you could drill a hole in the wing nut and the threaded rod and safety wire it. That is what the aviation industry does as a safety measure but maybe more trouble than it is worth. Thread locker should help and might be the preferred solution. Another possible solution is using a nylon lock nut. They tend to be one time use only so you would need a supply of them you if you do take it on/off throughout the season. Good luck and stay warm!:greentractorride:
I certainly should have grabbed a couple of photos-- will do that. I think your suggestions are all excellent. I especially like the notion of a second "jam nut" coupled with thread locker. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,434 Posts
what about a simple lock washer?

Reactions: rod330

·
Super Moderator
8,133 Posts
Here's the front 3PH frame with attaching parts. Note that a cotter pin, #4 is shown to prevent the top wing nut from loosening.

I also replaced the hitch pin with a 3/8" ~ 2 1/2" Grade 8 bolt with locknut. There's not much room for a jam or lock nut to replace that wing nut.

3 Series front 3PH frame.gif

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's the culprit... I'll replace the lower lynch pin with a 3/8" bolt and nyloc nut as SuperGlideSport suggested. At least that will prevent it from coming off at the bottom. I'll also add a lock washer under the top wing nut and apply some thread locker. I'll report back on my findings. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,023 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Reactions: Drifterbike

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hiya,

Here's what you do with the front hitch pin, bolt and nut and also how to make it easier to deal with the blower off-season, as well as hooking it up. It's my reply to another post about the front hitch.

http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/large-frame-compact-utility-tractors-lcut/30162-3046r-factory-cab-equipped-changing-winter-mode.html#post370026

Tom
I picked up the M16-2.0 nyloc nut and 3/8" square bail PTO hitch pin from Home Depot yesterday for about $5. Tom's suggestion to align the hitch pin with the groove in the frame was critical to ensure there's no movement. All is good and I highly recommend this modification.
It's hard to imagine why Deere thought the absurd wing nut was a good idea.

Thanks, again to all who responded.

Reactions: Drifterbike
1 - 12 of 12 Posts