Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
I never cared for these but holy cow. Pricey.
I like Machinery Pete. During football season, I record him to watch later.

I wish I would have saved the seats and hoods that we had left over when we closed out the dealership. The one that I liked the best was the prototype black and gold tractor.

Super Moderator
Finding a truly original "custom color" JD is hard. The first year, Deere did not use a different type code and serial number to identify the "patio" tractors, but the last two years they did. It was a novel idea, but didn't go over too well, so a lot of dealers painted them green and put green hoods and yellow seats on them to move them. The seats are the hardest to get today and finding a good one will cost you a lot.

Registered
I like Machinery Pete. During football season, I record him to watch later.

I wish I would have saved the seats and hoods that we had left over when we closed out the dealership. The one that I liked the best was the prototype black and gold tractor.
The original seats sell for around $1000 each. 11K for a garden tractor is crazy. Those Mecum Auctions can get you. They also have a pretty steep buyers fee.

Registered
The original seats sell for around $1000 each. 11K for a garden tractor is crazy. Those Mecum Auctions can get you. They also have a pretty steep buyers fee.
My thought is, for crying out loud, it's just a paint job, as evidenced by the dealers who repainted them to sell them.

I enjoy watching the Mecum and other car auctions, to watch the suckers come out of the woodwork and overpay by 2-3X for these cars that have had their values artificially increased over the years by guys with more dollars than brain cells who outbid each other to satisfy their egos, then turn around and sell the car at the next auction for even more money than they paid.

Registered
My thought is, for crying out loud, it's just a paint job, as evidenced by the dealers who repainted them to sell them.

I enjoy watching the Mecum and other car auctions, to watch the suckers come out of the woodwork and overpay by 2-3X for these cars that have had their values artificially increased over the years by guys with more dollars than brain cells who outbid each other to satisfy their egos, then turn around and sell the car at the next auction for even more money than they paid.
I don鈥檛 disagree completely, especially on the value deviation, but my first tractor is a 69 112 patio in sunset orange. I still have it in primer painted pieces, with original hidden paint spots. I don鈥檛 really think it鈥檚 worth a lot but wouldn鈥檛 trade it for anything of similar value. I have 2 seats with minor defects that cost under $1000 combined. They are stored in 100 year old cedar chests. Lol. The chests came with the house.

I need a bigger barn.

Bonehead Club Lackey
I'd trade all 4 of the patios for 1 '73 140 H-3. I'm not a patio tractor kind of guy. I still think the 140 is the best looking garden tractor ever made. :munch:

Registered
Levi,
I just picked up a 73 140-H3 that I'm in the middle of restoring. When I finish the project I'll be happy to sell it to you for $44,100. Just kidding! I also love the 140. I agree, there has never been a better looking tractor ever produced!

Attachments

Bonehead Club Lackey
Levi,
I just picked up a 73 140-H3 that I'm in the middle of restoring. When I finish the project I'll be happy to sell it to you for $44,100. Just kidding! I also love the 140. I agree, there has never been a better looking tractor ever produced!
Yah, some day I might have one. I'd probably have to do what you're doing...restore it. :good2:

Registered
I still think the 140 is the best looking garden tractor ever made.
it's nice enough for the "2nd Gen" tractors (1st gen being the RF's).

I think Deere should come out with a "retro" GT, sort of like New Holland did a few years back with its Boomer that looked like an 8N, but was all modern. In that vein, I'd vote for an X7-sized GT, 4WD diesel that looks like a RF110, complete with bug-eye headlights and all the options available, plus a 3rd spool of hydraulics. Can you picture it? It could also be done on a 1-series platform, but the ROPS would ruin the image.

Tractor Show 5-2010 021.jpg

Corndog Hater
it's nice enough for the "2nd Gen" tractors (1st gen being the RF's).

I think Deere should come out with a "retro" GT, sort of like New Holland did a few years back with its Boomer that looked like an 8N, but was all modern. In that vein, I'd vote for an X7-sized GT, 4WD diesel that looks like a RF110, complete with bug-eye headlights and all the options available, plus a 3rd spool of hydraulics. Can you picture it? It could also be done on a 1-series platform, but the ROPS would ruin the image.
I always thought that retro Boomer was neat, love the seat. And oh yes, the 140 is definitely a nice looking GT.

Reactions: Herminator and Levi
1 - 11 of 11 Posts