Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any users using this oil and doing extended drain intervals? I read some of the literature on this when it came out and extended drain was supposedly one of the benefits. Just curious what others are doing.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Any users using this oil and doing extended drain intervals? I read some of the literature on this when it came out and extended drain was supposedly one of the benefits. Just curious what others are doing.
I'm using JD Plus 50, 0W-40 for our cold winters. I use my tractor year round. I personally do not intend to follow their extended change intervals. I plan to do an annual spring oil change which will be well below their recommended change hours.

·
Super Moderator
5,483 Posts
Hey pcabe5
I take it you are referring to the synthetic Plus 50. I run synthetic in my truck,and change it out every 10 to 15,000 miles.
Even if I started using full syn in my 2520,I made up my mind it's getting changed every 50 hours.
Maybe my thinking is a little goofy considering what I do with my truck,but 50 hours for me so far, is just about a full years time.
So,it works out to be a yearly thing.:D

Greg

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey pcabe5
I take it you are referring to the synthetic Plus 50. I run synthetic in my truck,and change it out every 10 to 15,000 miles.
Even if I started using full syn in my 2520,I made up my mind it's getting changed every 50 hours.
Maybe my thinking is a little goofy considering what I do with my truck,but 50 hours for me so far, is just about a full years time.
So,it works out to be a yearly thing.:D

Greg
Greg,

The Plus 50 II is just regular dino oil it comes in 15w40 and 10w-30 and replaces the Plus 50. I do not even see the old Plus 50 at any of my dealerships it is all the Plus 50 II. I am currently running the Plus 50 II 10w-30 in my 2520 as I just stuck with the JD recommended.

pc

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Randy. That's good info. I noticed my manual isn't updated with this requirement for my new 2520. Doesn't surprise anyone I'm sure.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Has anything been said about using it in older motors ?

For instance my concern is a mid 1980s Yanmar motor. Less than 900 hours, but just older.

How about 2 cylinders and other stuff ?

Wyo

·
Official "Groovie" Dude
5,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Has anything been said about using it in older motors ?

For instance my concern is a mid 1980s Yanmar motor. Less than 900 hours, but just older.

How about 2 cylinders and other stuff ?

Wyo
According to page 6 of the link Randy provided the oil is backwards compatible to older engines.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Do ours twice, once in spring, once in fall. Put 80 hours on the winter oil (T6), and should have just as much on the summer oil( 15W40 Semi syn Castrol.)

Cheap insurance, even though MF calls for 150 hour change intervals.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts