Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been working on Dirty's R. The pony motor was a little stuck. The valves were bad, 1 head gasket was bad and it need a little cleaning up here and there. Got parts from H&J. We got it all put together yesterday. It popped off several times and even ran good for about 5 seconds.

The major issue is it's getting too much gas. We took the check valve off as the screen was clogged and the whole assembly was rusted solid. Last night he was going back out to drill a small hole in it and put it back on to see if that helped. I have heard the results yet.

I've spent a fair amount of time online looking for a replacement check valve/filter with no luck. There doesn't seem to be many fuel system parts for these little 2 cylinder ponys. Not that there's all that many parts to it in the first place.

Does someone have a solution to this or know where to get the fuel filter/check valve? So far I haven't found it from JD.

Thanks

Mike

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The part is listed as AR851R. It's a fuel line with the filter/check valve on the tank end. I found a web site that said they are rarer than hen's teeth.:banghead: I gotta believe there's a work around for it.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Can you not make or substitute something? Perhaps you could bust out that old Kodak and snap a picture?

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Have you checked with any of the places that overhaul and/or sell rebuilt pony's? I see them advertised in Green Magazine quite regularly. How about Steiner? It probably isn't high enough volume for them to handle.

New Green Magazine should be here any day. I'll look and see if you want. Or, maybe you already get it, considering all of the antiques that you have.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've checked all but 1 of my resources. I haven't stopped out to see Jimmy. I haven't seen an R out there in years. I don't get Green Magazine Don.

They make check valves in the correct size. If we go that route we'll need to find out how much vacuum the carb creates to open the valve and how much it draws with the engine running wide open. That might be interesting to attempt. Those little valves that handle gas ain't real cheap. I don't mind buying 1 but, I won't be buying a bunch to see what works. I'm just a poor retired guy living on a fixed income.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I stole a pic. The brass piece at the bottom right is the problem. The one on our R doesn't have a pin sticking out, it had a screen over the end. It looked like it was made that way not something someone had done.
SHAR851R_350x172.jpg

I searched Ebay with no luck. I did see a bunch of PTO gears, wow they are expensive. Maybe I should be checking prices when I send parts to desperate people.:laugh: Just going for the joke, don't care at all buddy.

·
Registered
11,415 Posts
Here are some that I find advertising pony motors and parts:
Country Sales Inc
Logansport, IN 46947
574-753-3133

Ryan Lind
812-233-0830

Time for supper. I'll continue looking later.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts