Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those who do their own repairs, how well are the service manuals written by JD? I am specifically interested in one for a 1996 345.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I have the service manual for my x595 and the engine manual for the Kawasaki 345.The manual for the x595 helped me diagnose an electrical problem which saved time and money of taking it to the dealer.
The engine manual when I rebuilt the engine when the plastic cam went in my 345.

·
Registered
124 Posts
For those who do their own repairs, how well are the service manuals written by JD? I am specifically interested in one for a 1996 345.
I have service manuals for all my equipment, when I can get them. The JD ones are pretty good with color pictures of lines and electrical (IMO). I have the 4310 and the 3046R manuals (the 3046r fills a 4 inch binder).

I purchase on CD if possible and make one printed copy for reference. Check with your dealer for pricing; it may be less than the JD manual web site (in my case the dealer cost was 1/2 of what JD web site wanted...)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
I agree that it is worth getting a Service Manual if you do your own work. I won't speak to the quality of the older manuals. As far as I know they are as complete as the ones for the newer machines but I have never used one to work on an older machine. Not that my X585 is exactly new but I have found it useful.

Personally I like the digital version of the manual but the paper one has benefits as well. One could argue that most people don't have computers in their shop, if they have a laptop they may not want to take it out into a dirty, dusty environment of a workshop. Also if you have a CD Version, it is less and less common to find laptops now with CD/DVD Drives. In my case I have a computer out there and it is easier to reference the computer than the book. If I want the paper in hand, I can print out the section I am working on and have a few sheets of paper rather than an entire book. It really comes down to what you are more comfortable with.

I do not have the manual for my Z950R but will be getting it once my warranty is expired and I start doing work on it. For now I let the dealer address any issue.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
10,769 Posts
Being that Deere & Co manufactured the equipment that the manuals are written for, I think they will adequate.

·
Premium Member
2,727 Posts
I* have the tech service manuals for all my tractors. One of the things I use them for is to evaluate the problem and decide if I should attempt the repair or let Deere do it. They are very well written and I ordered one with my 2038 on order now it is 200$. The one I have or my 67 1020 helped me chase down a wiring problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts