Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any aftermarket paints that match the JD green...krylon, rustoleum...ect, or got with the factory spray from a dealer? Lowes has a couple different brands that are around $5 a can where JD has them for $20 a can. I made some bolt on hooks for my bucket and want to spray them before installation.

Thanks

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Krylon and rustoleum both make that color, Walmart sells the Krylon stuff. None will spray as nice, match as good, or be as durable as the JD brand, but it is cheaper. FYI the JD stuff is about $12 here. TSC carries it in the Majik brand, but there are lots of bad reviews on that stuff.

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Krylon and rustoleum both make that color, Walmart sells the Krylon stuff. None will spray as nice, match as good, or be as durable as the JD brand, but it is cheaper. FYI the JD stuff is about $12 here. TSC carries it in the Majik brand, but there are lots of bad reviews on that stuff.
I agree with Kenny here. I usually buy the paint from the dealer. It sprays very good and it's obviously a dead-on match. The few dollars that makes the difference isn't worth the headache of a bad looking paint job. When I repaint implements and need a few cans, I've used the Rust-oleum with pretty good results as well.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I agree with Jason and Kenny...:hide:

The JD paint will match and seems to be harder. It definitely wont chalk as fast. I believe Valspar makes the JD oem paint, so if you can find that brand, it should be the same as JD except not quite as expensive.

If I have a big area to paint, then I think its worth using the batch JD or Valspar paint (qt. or gallon container) . Mixing in the thinner and hardner for a HVLP gun. I have found doing this will maximize a paint job...as the paint will be even harder and chalk resistive and look almost factory.

·
Premium Member
7,513 Posts
If all you are doing is hooks, I would use Rustoleum brand in JD green.

·
Premium Member
11,004 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I used the Valspar and John Deere green paints on my 120. I could not tell a difference in coverage. I have used other brands of yellow on a quick deck refresh on the RF 110 I owned for a while but it did not cover like the Deere yellow I used on the 120. A this point I am going to stick with the Deere stuff as I am happy with the results.

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
I'll stick to off the shelf JD! Rustoleum is good paint & I sometimes use it where it isn't exposed. But, when it's exposed to sunlight, over time it turns blueish! ~~ Lowell

·
Registered
446 Posts
I have used both the Rustoleum and Valspar brands in the spray can. I have no complaints. The price is right and the quality seems good. I have also used the Valspar to spray out of my automotive spray gun when I repainted some implements. I thought they looked great and so far have help up pretty well. Nothing holds up better than powder coating which for most of us is to costly to do.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I use either the JD brand or Tremclad and they both work well.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Maybe I am strange on this forum, I buy whatever is available at the time in the store I am in at the moment. Usually I do not go cheap off brand though.
:dunno:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Calebs 2 update 003.JPG

This is what I use, and it costs $4.58 a can, no matter if it's green or yellow. Goes on nice and smooth with excellent coverage and has built in hardner.

Here is the green results from my sons '71 70 fender assembly:

Progress 11 020.JPG Progress 11 021.JPG

And here are the wheels in yellow:

Calebs tires 001.JPG Caleb progress 4 003.JPG

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Looks very good. Thats before any color sanding and buffing? I'd say its excellent if so. I see absolutely no orange peel or overspray anywhere, and that real tough to accomplish on wheels.:thumbup1gif:

oops, blew the picture up to maximum. There's a little orange peel....but a couple of hits with some 1500-2000 grit and some 3m polishing compound...it would look like glass . Great job !!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
The fenders are finished in those pictures. After being primed with two coats, they were sanded with a brown paper bag, then shot again with one more coat of primer. The were left to cure for about a week, washed, and then shot with two coats of the green. After two days of sitting, they were wet sanded with 320 grit, shot with one heavy coat of green, sprayed with light water after sitting for six hours, then wet sanded again with 800 grit. After a about three days of sitting, they were shot with another coat of green, sprayed with light water again after about six hours, and then wet sanded again 1500 grit. Another three days of sitting, then one last coat of green, again sprayed with light water after about six hours, then wet sanded one last time with 2000 grit. Left to dry for a week and a half, then started applying the polishing compound and buffing. When all of the buffing was complete, I then applied three coats of wax over the course of four days. A lot of work and time, but I think the efforts and hard work paid off, as the finish turned out real nice for coming from a spray can!

The wheels however, haven't had done to them as much as the fenders did, mostly because they will be covered up with hubcaps. Each wheel has had two starter coats of yellow, wet sanded once with 320 grit, then hit again with one additional coat. The most you'll see of them when his tractor is finished, will be the outer most lip of the rim, so I wasn't as fussy. However, I don't like orange peel myself, and I will do whatever it takes to get rid of it, especailly ares that are more visible or seen.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Air Compressor and Shayna's Birthday 005.JPG Air Compressor and Shayna's Birthday 004.JPG Air Compressor and Shayna's Birthday 003.JPG

These pictures are of a 140 hood that I was practicing on, using a spray paint from Tractor Supply. I can't remember off hand anymore what the manufacturers name was, but it seemed to work pretty well. The color matched pretty closely, and as you can see, didn't give a bad result. This finish was accomplished with basically the same steps and techniques as I used on the 70 fender assembly mentioned in my earlier post.

I get a lot of criticism from some guys, that I put entirely too much time and effort into accomplishing a nice finish from a spray can, and I'm constantly being told that the finish will never hold up due to UV rays, and that's ok. Everybody is entitled to their opinion. I don't mind putting in the time and effort that it takes to get a nice finish, as I find it very relaxing, and it gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment knowing that I worked hard in getting the results that I got. My garage isn't big enough for a high dollar air compressor or spray gun set up, well at least not with 26 tractors anyway, so I make the best of what I can do or use. I admire a lot of the finishes you guys have on your tractors, as I know you also spent a lot of time and money getting them to look like that. I just hope you all can admire or appreciate what I can do, even though I choose to use different techniques then most of you. The finish may or may not hold up for many years to come, but that doesn't both me, as it will just give me the chance or opportunity to do them all over again someday! :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,366 Posts
Looks great to me. :thumbup1gif:

1 - 20 of 40 Posts