Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just about to buy a 4520 with a JD390 26" Offset Flail Mower.

How much of an angle do you think I could on the 390 to mow the sloped sides of my driveway while staying on the driveway? 20 degrees?

How much up and down adjustability does the tilt give you in inches? Does it spin the whole 3PT or just lower the right arm?

Does anyone know if there is a manual with specs?

Thanks

·
Administrator
20,677 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

:wgtt:

I moved your thread to the compacts section for a better fit and response.:hi: We have several members with a 4520 and will stop by and give you some advice. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I'm just about to buy a 4520 with a JD390 26" Offset Flail Mower.

How much of an angle do you think I could on the 390 to mow the sloped sides of my driveway while staying on the driveway? 20 degrees?

How much up and down adjustability does the tilt give you in inches? Does it spin the whole 3PT or just lower the right arm?

Does anyone know if there is a manual with specs?

Thanks
It just raises and lowers the one arm. I think the amount of travel is a little more than if you screwed the regular link all the way in/out, maybe 4 inches.
I suppose you could get a "custom" cylinder to give you more. Maybe a sickle mower would be your best bet. Look at this one:

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Assuming the spread on the 3PT is 28" with 4" of Adustability on the tilt that only gives me 8 Degrees, it doesn't seem worth the effort.

Thanks for the response - Back to the drawing board.

·
Premium Member
2,228 Posts
I don't have a precise measurement, but I'm certain I can get a lot more than 8 degrees out of my 4720, especially if I hand crank the non-hydraulic side all the way up first. I'm guessing more like 30 deg, maybe more. I have an aftermarket tilt cylinder from Fit-Rite hydraulics, but it shouldn't be much different than the deere.

-J.

·
Premium Member
792 Posts
Although I have a 110, it's the exact same TnT linkage. You get quite a bit of travel to the right, but limited to the left.

My question is why do you want to change the slope while mowing? As you drive the tractor it will rock side to side to keep it parallel to the ground. If you tilted it you'd end up with an uneven cut. I'd understand if it were completely outside the wheel base and you wanted to change the angle from mowing a flat area to sloped, but my understanding is most of the 390 is inside the wheelbase.

The TnT is great, just much more commonly used for ground engaging equipment.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts