Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the crazy mulch option with my 2016 X354 and actually don't like the way it works. You have to remove it to put the standard blades on. What is the best way to cut the lawn and pick up leaves. I feel I get the best suction (7 bushel bagger x2 bags) with regular blades on... Doesn't grind the leaves. What do others do?
I want to grind leaves and bag in one shot.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I have the crazy mulch option with my 2016 X354 and actually don't like the way it works. You have to remove it to put the standard blades on. What is the best way to cut the lawn and pick up leaves. I feel I get the best suction (7 bushel bagger x2 bags) with regular blades on... Doesn't grind the leaves. What do others do?
I want to grind leaves and bag in one shot.

Get a set of Gator/Predator blades for your deck. The set on my X540 grinds them up pretty good just running side discharge. I don't bag but heard that they work good for it.

Your other option is to cut the yard using side discharge. Then do it again with the bagger running.
You can also use the side discharge to wind row them. Then run the bagger over the wind row to pick it up.
Unfortunately either method is not one shot.
This is how I do it with my tow behind lawn sweeper. If I tried to get them up uncut the sweeper is jammed full in 20'. lol

Not waiting until you have a thick carpet to remove also helps. Plus you get more seat time.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I just throw a set of gator blades on don't even need a mulching kit...

View attachment 483482
The paint is completely worn off of the little wings on the back side of my blades. This tells me that they are doing the job intended. The blades are also thicker than the stock ones.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts