Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all, I'm new to GTT - my 1st post.
Wondering if I can get some advise on an issue with my 2005 x495.

Symptom:
After cold start, and running for a random amount of time (anywhere between 15-45 min.) the temperature gauge will suddenly go from normal (about 1/4 up from cold position) to past the red (about as far as the needle will move). This happens in about 5-6 seconds.
To cure this, I shut down and let the machine rest for about 5 minutes. I then start up again, and the gauge returns to normal operating temperature. It may randomly repeat this again.

This problem appeared for the 1st time after I pulled the machine out this spring (May, 2019) to start mowing. ( I don't use it during the winter, it's just stored in my garage).

I'm not sure if the engine is actually overheating or not, so when it happens I shut down, and continue on a few minutes later. (bit of a pain, but I don't want to damage the engine).

Could this be a rad cap, thermostat, temperature sensor, or coolant pump problem? Any advise is appreciated!

Side note: I use this machine strictly for mowing; I have no other attachments for it other than the 54" deck. About 650 hrs on the machine right now.

Jack

·
Super Moderator
5,446 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Super Moderator
5,446 Posts
It could be a thermostat issue. I'm guessing it's probably original. Might be a worthwhile shot to replace it.

·
Registered
349 Posts
It could be a thermostat issue. I'm guessing it's probably original. Might be a worthwhile shot to replace it.
It's the thermostat. Old guys that drove old cars know these things.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
If you are using the PTO when the temp gauge goes nuts, does the mower shut off? My guess is that it doesn't which means the tractor isn't actually overheating. Plus, it can't change that drastically in temp unless something is plugged which would cause other symptoms.

Sounds like a gauge or ground issue for the dash to me.

Get a hand held infrared temp gun and point it at the radiator and see what the temps really are. It also can be used to tell if the thermostat is opening and closing correctly as you will see the actual surface temp of the radiator, the engine block, the radiator hoses, your forehead if you are really bored or other things if that of interest.........(Like the driveway in the sun, etc. I don't know what others were thinking...:laugh:...)

The reason I asked about the PTO is the mower has a built in safety switch where if the engine ie truly overheating, it will shut down the PTO until the temp returns to normal. It won't allow you to run PTO driven implements which add stress to an overheated engine.

You can get the infrared temp gun at Harbor Fright for about $25 or so........they are handy to have in your toolbox....

Please make sure to post follow ups and let us know what you find. Thanks and welcome to GTT...........

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
It's the thermostat. Old guys that drove old cars know these things.:bigthumb:
That's what I love about GTT, we have lots of old guys with old cars and old tractors and many even have old dogs.

But our wives are all young, strikingly beautiful and its amazing they still tolerate us old guys...................thank goodness they do. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
Jack, we are assuming that you keep the radiator screen cleaned out / off and the radiator is blown free of all dirt, dust and any debris. Same with the hood grille and side panels as well as the area directly in front of the seat, the lower part of the dash as that and the side panels are where all of the fresh air is pulled into the radiator.

It always a good idea to use like a hand held leaf nlower to really clean out the radiator and screen. Its a good idea to flush water through the radiator with the screen removed to keep the cooling fins cleaned.

I am going to bet with 650 hours of mowing on your tractor, you already know all of this and have been doing it.............

Have you ever had the mower shut down while you were mowing, but the engine continued to run at the same speed? If so, they you likely have a real overheating issue. If not, you likely don't.

The ultimate radiator cleaning tools are these, which I have. One is for hooking to your compressor for air cleaning power and the other is for hooking to the hose for water cleaning, once you have removed all of the dirt and debris. The design allows you to reach down across the front and properly clean it at every level, front and rear. They work very well. Note, this are for external cleaning of the radiator and they are handy for reaching into recessed and tight areas which need a good hosing with air and water...

https://www.amazon.com/Radiator-Genie-Cleaning-Efficiency-Radiators/dp/B01NAU8J6D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2K2STY8A27SH6&keywords=radiator+cleaning+wand&qid=1565140001&s=gateway&sprefix=radiator+cleanei,aps,172&sr=8-1

Here is the temp gun I was referring to.............

https://www.harborfreight.com/infrared-thermometer-93984.html

Here is one similar to the one I have and really like it.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-774-Non-contact-Thermometer/dp/B00837ZGRY/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=ZS063NS8L9W&keywords=infrared+thermometer+gun&qid=1565139936&s=gateway&sprefix=infra,aps,186&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
This is most likely the very common dash issue.

My X585 did this. It is the same generation machine just 4WD Gas not Diesel.

Odds are this is happening when running the PTO. Of course the first things to check are the screens but the engine should not randomly shoot up way past red if it was really overheating. Another test, if it is doing this when the PTO is running, does it go back to normal as soon as the PTO is shut off? As mentioned mine would peg out like this. It could be a hot 90F day cutting grass or -15F and I am running the snow blower. However just like that needle goes from normal to pegged in 5 sec when the PTO is running, as soon as I shut it off it would go back to normal. On those hot 90F days, there is no way simply turning off the PTO would cool off the machine that was my sign it was electrical.

I didn't have time to deal with it at the time and went to the dealer. That is a long story but lets just say they did the normal new T-stat, new coolant temp sensor and flushed radiator. None of that addressed the issue and the only one that could have possible explained it was the temp sensor but it wasn't that.

There is a documented issue with a bad ground on the dash. The fix is a new dash and bond a new ground to the ground wire. That said, if the dash is bad and you know your way around a soldier iron, why not try and fix it or ask around for someone that maybe knows how to use one. Worst case you wreck the dash and you would have to buy one anyhow. That is the way I looked at it.

Once I had time for the machine to be down for a while because I retired it from mowing, I went through a bunch of stuff and covered a lot of it in this thread.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/lawn-garden-tractors/70449-refreshing-x585.html

If you don't want to read it all you can jump to this post and start there.

https://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/lawn-garden-tractors/70449-refreshing-x585-3.html#post1047665

Once I got to this point I pulled the dash, opened it up and found several soldier points that were cracked from vibration. I desolidered them and resoldiered them. I also added a new ground wire that was spliced into the wiring harness on the ground plug. The combination of these two things resolved my "overheating" issues. As I said a JD dealer would just swap a dash and splice in a new ground. The dash runs a few hundred bucks. I resoldiered mine for a few pennies and some wire I had laying around.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
x495 intermittent overheat - Thanks!

Hi all, thanks for your input!! Much appreciated.
Heading out for vacation; I'll tackle the problem when I get back, guided by the suggestions.
I'll post the outcome...

Couple side notes:
* Well aware of the air flow issue through the rad - need to keep the intake area and the rad clean!
* Issue happens when PTO is engaged. However, I don't run it much without the PTO engaged, as it's used just for mowing grass.
* Didn't know about the PTO disengage, should overheat occur. In my case, the PTO (mower deck) never cut out when the temperature gauge went high.
* Outside regular maintenance, this is the very 1st issue I've had with this machine - after 14 years! not bad! Except battery, every part is original, even the belt on the mower deck.

Jack

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Hi all, thanks for your input!! Much appreciated.
Heading out for vacation; I'll tackle the problem when I get back, guided by the suggestions.
I'll post the outcome...

Couple side notes:
* Well aware of the air flow issue through the rad - need to keep the intake area and the rad clean!
* Issue happens when PTO is engaged. However, I don't run it much without the PTO engaged, as it's used just for mowing grass.
* Didn't know about the PTO disengage, should overheat occur. In my case, the PTO (mower deck) never cut out when the temperature gauge went high.
* Outside regular maintenance, this is the very 1st issue I've had with this machine - after 14 years! not bad! Except battery, every part is original, even the belt on the mower deck.

Jack
As I suspected it is tied to PTO operation. I get that the machine may not be used much without PTO this time of year since most of them are used for mowing. Next time you see it happen, shut off the PTO while leaving RPM high and see how quick it goes back to normal. Remember if it was really overheating, on a hot summer day it would take quite a while for it to really cool down. Also the other clue it is a false reading is when you said that the gauge pegs out going past the red and how quickly it shot up that high. Combine that with the known issue with the gauge clusters on these with that exact failure means that odds are you are yet another one to join the ranks. The good news is that it isn't really overheating. I ran mine for about 2 years like that. I knew it was electrical. While it isn't good to run with an electrical issue, it never caused an issue other than the condition worsening to also do that to my fuel gauge. The Dealer was no help and caused more issues than they fixed. Even though this is a documented issue in the JD system. They just had to look. I had a hard time to take the machine out of service for a couple weeks to try and track it down on my own when I am running the mower a couple times a week. Tackling it in the winter was also hard. I may not use to for a few weeks at a time but I have little notice to when there would be a big snow storm that I need to plow or blow my driveway. It is way too big to shovel. Ended up going with a dedicated mower (Z950R) so a couple summers ago I went through the X585 and fixed this issue along with several other small issues and some rust.

Knowing the issue, and yours appears the same as what I had, it could be a Sat afternoon job start to finish. The dash will need to come out. I don't remember what needs to come off to get to that point. You might be able to just open the hood, remove the two side screens and there are a couple mounting bolts on the side. If you look at my thread I posted before you can see how I had all the body work off. That was because I was sand blasting and painting the foot rest as well as I had to get under the seat. I also had to open up the operator station a lot more to address my floppy parking brake issue. It was just easier to completely skin the machine so I could clean it good before starting.

·
Registered
7,868 Posts
I would like to buy a nice clean well kept x495 or x595, they are great machines. Actually, in my opinion of having owned a number of Deere L&G tractors, the 455, x495 and x595 are three of the very best machines Deere ever built. Very well constructed, very heavy duty and very reliable.

ControlLogixMan's experience seems to confirm this with 14 years and 650 hours of use and just this small annoyance issue as it really doesn't prevent the machine from being used.

ContrologixMan, if I were you, next time you are using the machine and this temp gauge issue happens, instead of shutting down the machine, I would keep right on mowing if the indicated change in the engine temp happens as drastically as you described it. I would bet that within a minute or two, the temp gauge will go right back to the normal range. Of course, this is assuming its as you described the change happening very suddenly. If the temp progressively rises to the overheated range and if the engine PTO shuts down, then you really do have an overheating issue and that's an entirely different situation.

I am with Sennister, this is likely a dash / gauge issue and not a real overheating issue. Its also an issue which shouldn't prevent you from continuing to use the tractor as needed, even with the gauge abnormalities. Amazingly, many of the L&G machines now don't have an temp gauge on them at all, which seems like a bad idea to me, but of course, it saves $$$ on the build to keep the selling price point lower.................

Jack, Make sure to keep us posted on this issue and if you have any other developments or findings. And once again, welcome to GTT, we hope you enjoy this site and find your time spent here beneficial............

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts
I would like to buy a nice clean well kept x495 or x595, they are great machines. Actually, in my opinion of having owned a number of Deere L&G tractors, the 455, x495 and x595 are three of the very best machines Deere ever built. Very well constructed, very heavy duty and very reliable.

I am with Sennister, this is likely a dash / gauge issue and not a real overheating issue.

Jack, Make sure to keep us posted on this issue and if you have any other developments or findings. And once again, welcome to GTT, we hope you enjoy this site and find your time spent here beneficial............
I agree on the 455, x495 and x595, as be well built, desirable L&G tractors. I prefer the body work of the x series better than the 455, but that's only "looks", which are in the eye of the beholder. :greentractorride:

I also agree with Sennister, gauge issues, not really over heating.

And as Sulley requested, post your outcome, it does help others.

·
Premium Member
7,425 Posts

ControlLogixMan's experience seems to confirm this with 14 years and 650 hours of use and just this small annoyance issue as it really doesn't prevent the machine from being used.

ContrologixMan, if I were you, next time you are using the machine and this temp gauge issue happens, instead of shutting down the machine, I would keep right on mowing if the indicated change in the engine temp happens as drastically as you described it. I would bet that within a minute or two, the temp gauge will go right back to the normal range. Of course, this is assuming its as you described the change happening very suddenly. If the temp progressively rises to the overheated range and if the engine PTO shuts down, then you really do have an overheating issue and that's an entirely different situation.

I am with Sennister, this is likely a dash / gauge issue and not a real overheating issue. Its also an issue which shouldn't prevent you from continuing to use the tractor as needed, even with the gauge abnormalities. Amazingly, many of the L&G machines now don't have an temp gauge on them at all, which seems like a bad idea to me, but of course, it saves $$$ on the build to keep the selling price point lower.................

I also wanted an x series diesel :greentractorride:, but bought gas due to price. :flag_of_truce:

I also agree with Sennister, gauge problem, not over heating.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts

That is what I saw early on. It would peg out like what he is seeing. As I said it wasn't that it went gradually up to the red section. It would shoot right up there and past. The fact that it takes a second or two to get there is only an indication of how the stepper motor works that is driving this in the dash. They are not super responsive like a speedometer in a car. They don't need to be as temps can't change that quick. Another sign it is a false reading. But like you said mine would peg out and as I went bouncing along mowing it would dip a bit and go back up because of the broken soldier joints. However because of the slow response of the stepper motor, many times it would just sit there. It also freaked me out the first time I saw it.

As I mentioned when I first saw this I panicked as well. Once I did basic trouble shooting (I still recommend doing that first, which you did) I felt confident that it wasn't really overheating. IR temp gauge can help with that confirmation. Get a better idea what that coolant temp really is. It won't be 100% accurate but you will be able to tell the difference between going Chernobyl vs normal. Once I knew it was a false indicaation or sensor issue (initially wasn't sure which) I kept using it. I don't remember how long for sure but about 2 years. It did get worse to where my fuel gauge started having issues which really sucked and motivated me to fix it. That and not needing it for mowing anymore.

Yep, we like to see a resolution. Even if like me and you continue to run it for many years like it is. Eventually I fixed it and posted my refreshing the X585 thread. I have linked many people to that thread that also report "overheating" issues like this. It is a known issue.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Sounds to me like a dash /electrical problem. However the age of the tractor I would change the antifreeze if it was never done and put a new thermostat and cap on. Not necessary just something to think about due to the age.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts