Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just want to get this out there for the other guys who posted about the white smoke from the x590 Kawasaki engine. I have the same experience. It’s definitely oil and stops after several minutes of run time. I only have 20 hrs on the mower. I wouldn’t trust my dealer to wash it much less turn a wrench. I hope this isn’t going to be a problem down the road. It’s embarrassing I have neighbors who already think I’m crazy for buying a $9000 mower that smokes.

·
Premium Member
10,976 Posts
With the carb Kawasaki’s the solution is to simply crank 1-2 seconds before applying the choke. Unfortunately you can’t do that with the EFI X590.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
Brian :gtfam:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Only time I get white smoke on start up on my 590 is right after oil change. And even them it goes away after a few starts and its not much. Normally no smoke at all. Quick question, you didnt overfill the oil did you?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Something's not right and would have it looked at by another dealer.Depending how new I'd have them do the warranty work. I got 34 hrs on mine and no problems.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Fortunately, you do have a good warranty, I would watch it, and have the dealership look at it if it doesn't improve. I only have 6 hours on mine at this point, but no smoke.
Sorry if you don't trust your service department, mine wasn't great either, and had a real hard time taking the deck off when I picked it up. My trailer is too narrow to transit the tractor with the deck on!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I had a similar problem with my X580 last year when it was new. The cure was what I expected it to be. Prior to shutting down the engine allow the engine to idle at it's lowest speed for a minute or two prior to shutting it down completely. And, when starting the engine move the throttle up just past idle and not much further until the engine is warmed up.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
My Z950R had done this since new. As has my X585. That one is still running strong at coming up on 1300 hrs. It does it more in the winter or after sitting for a long time.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
I wonder if the type oil plays a factor. I use Amsoil small engine synthetic and have not seen smoke from my 590 with 100 hrs. on the clock.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Pure synthetic oil doesn't smoke as much under normal running conditions because of its chemicals properties and it's purity.

Dino oil and cheaper synthetics will smoke more because of impurities and lesser chemical properties.

My Kawasaki engine smokes a bit at start up. It has since day one. It did get better after 50hrs or so. The engine needs to be worked hard for a number of hours to break in. More often than not tractor engines don't work very hard for very long.

Try letting your grass grow long then cut it to really give the engine a workout. I bet the smoking at startup eases up a bit.

I just pulled my spark plugs at 100 hours and they tell the tail of an oily combustion. Too much engine time spent running at low load in the engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts