Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all
I have a jd 2320 with front snow blower. Has performed great all winter. The last snow we had while using blower the snow would bog down the blower and it would not throw very far. The engine rpm did not slow down. I stopped moving forward and the blower returned to normal when the load lessened. This was light snow and this never bogged down like this in this light of snow. I moved forward again and the same thing happened. all shear bolts were in place, the blower was still on the shaft key. I engaged pto again and the same thing happened again, I went to check the manual to see if there was any troubleshooting suggestions. There was not. I went back out to put the machine away, moved the pto position lever from front to rear and back thinking it was bumped, there was no change, Then out of the blue the blower worked like a charm.
Thought this was just a glitch and moved on an blowed for an hour no issues.

Went out today to see if this was a one time occurrence, sad to say the same thing happened. Blower bogged down to almost stop and the engine rpm did not drop.

Any thoughts.

Ottis

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
Welcome to GTT!

It almost sounds like your PTO is slipping. Since it's hydraulically operated it begs the question, is the hydraulic oil up to snuff? Clean and up to the proper level? When was the last time the oil and filter was changed? When was the suction screen cleaned?

:wgtt:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It almost sounds like your PTO is slipping. Since it's hydraulically operated it begs the question, is the hydraulic oil up to snuff? Clean and up to the proper level? When was the last time the oil and filter was changed? When was the suction screen cleaned?

:wgtt:
The fluid is at proper level, the fluid is due for change this spring. I did not no about the suction screen when I changed the fluid last.

I feel the pto is slipping also, I was wondering what operated the pto, actuator, gear or hydraulic.

·
Administrator
20,478 Posts
The PTO is gear driven but an electric solenoid allows the hydraulics to activate the clutch. Upon deactivation of the PTO switch, a spring applies the PTO brake.

The screen could be starving your hydraulics of the proper flow needed to operate the clutch.

·
Super Moderator
7,955 Posts
Your PTO uses hydraulic pressure to maintain clutch stack pressure. A partially plugged suction screen may reduce hydraulic flow; volume and pressure. I'd suggest you drain the fluid and check & clean the screen.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ottis;

That sounds crazy. My 4110 is an 04 and have used the 59" blower on it for years. Never had the problem you encountered. Changed hydraulic fluid about three years back. The fluid looked as clear as the replacement. In a closed system they say it can obsorb water but it would seem a very small amount if any. ( after 11 years of usage ) I drain my fluid in a clean container and always check for any sign of contaminants . I would check with the dealer. Surely someone may have had this problem in the past. I believe it is more mechanical than fluid or screen.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

:hide:
Ottis;

That sounds crazy. My 4110 is an 04 and have used the 59" blower on it for years. Never had the problem you encountered. Changed hydraulic fluid about three years back. The fluid looked as clear as the replacement. In a closed system they say it can obsorb water but it would seem a very small amount if any. ( after 11 years of usage ) I drain my fluid in a clean container and always check for any sign of contaminants . I would check with the dealer. Surely someone may have had this problem in the past. I believe it is more mechanical than fluid or screen.
Good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Back again, got parts and changed fluid, filter, cleaned screen. Not dirty at all, tried blower and no change. Don’t under stand how it can be slipping. If it is not fully engaging, what’s not letting it. Is there are electrical actuator involved with this? I have dealt with other actuators that they will not fully function with low voltage. I am going to attach the tiller to see if same happens with rear pto.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Back again, got parts and changed fluid, filter, cleaned screen. Not dirty at all, tried blower and no change. Don’t under stand how it can be slipping. If it is not fully engaging, what’s not letting it. Is there are electrical actuator involved with this? I have dealt with other actuators that they will not fully function with low voltage. I am going to attach the tiller to see if same happens with rear pto.
Attached the tiller on rear pto and worked like a charm. Now I am frustrated.

I did call and talk to the dealer service and the response I received was the canned response, “bring it in and we will have a look at it.”

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Ottis

1 - 9 of 9 Posts