Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I have a 1976 JD2630 with independent PTO. PTO will not disengage. Put gages on clutch controller test ports. rearward port pressure reads 140psi constant with PTO lever in both positions. Forward port pressure reads 0psi with PTO lever in both positions. Does this mean I need to rebuild the controller?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Hi all,
I have a 1976 JD2630 with independent PTO. PTO will not disengage. Put gages on clutch controller test ports. rearward port pressure reads 140psi constant with PTO lever in both positions. Forward port pressure reads 0psi with PTO lever in both positions. Does this mean I need to rebuild the controller?
Thanks
Forward port is PTO Brake.

Welcome to GTT
I think the only thing that could be wrong is a blown gasket or failed o-ring. Maybe a spring has failed.
One other thing comes to mind. The internal line for the PTO brake is split/broke. So oil would dump to sump (transmission case), giving the 0 psi reading.

I would first check the PTO valve that is in the shifter cover.

While you have the shifter cover off, try blowing compressed air into the PTO lines, if no resistance, you may have a broken line.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the responses, I will check these things and see what I get. Crossing fingers it's in the controller and won't have to do a split!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

I took the controller off and immediately found that part #23, the engaging lever, was broke so replaced that. Blew into the tubes and had good back pressure. Put it all back together with new o-rings and gaskets.

The PTO still runs all the time :(

Pressure test results are different.
When PTO lever is in "disengaged" position rear (clutch) port reads zero, when engaged it reads 150psi. So pressure is doing as it should on clutch port.
Brake Port still reads zero in both positions.

Am I correct in understanding that the brake just stops the shaft spinning immediately? In other words, if everything else was working properly and the brake did not work, then the PTO shaft would eventually stop spinning when disengaged? Or does the system require the brake to take pressure off the clutch?

Trying to determine if this is a hydraulic issue or a mechanical issue.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
IIRC ind pto controller in off position stops pressure to clutch & applies pressure to the brake lining in photo below.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I took the controller off and immediately found that part #23, the engaging lever, was broke so replaced that. Blew into the tubes and had good back pressure. Put it all back together with new o-rings and gaskets.

The PTO still runs all the time :(

Pressure test results are different.
When PTO lever is in "disengaged" position rear (clutch) port reads zero, when engaged it reads 150psi. So pressure is doing as it should on clutch port.
Brake Port still reads zero in both positions.

Am I correct in understanding that the brake just stops the shaft spinning immediately? In other words, if everything else was working properly and the brake did not work, then the PTO shaft would eventually stop spinning when disengaged? Or does the system require the brake to take pressure off the clutch?

Trying to determine if this is a hydraulic issue or a mechanical issue.

Thanks.
You need to determine why there is no pressure at the brake port when the PTO lever "off"
The PTO should eventually stop even with a non functioning brake, BUT there may be enough friction in the plates of the PTO clutch to keep it spinning if there is not a load (anything hooked up) on the PTO. Or warped PTO clutch plate(s) could keep it spinning.
There has to be a reason pressure is not shifting from Clutch to Brake when the PTO lever is moved.

IIRC ind pto controller in off position stops pressure to clutch & applies pressure to the brake lining in photo below.
That is correct.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts